Spotify Ideas

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
neo-x

Possibility to add friends without Facebook Accounts (Spotify ID)

by on ‎14-05-2012 10:53 AM

Hi! I just stumbled across a problem; I have friends who don't have facebook / don't use facebook / who hate facebook.

I tried searching a way to add them as friends so I could send them songs and see their playlists etc, but I was unable to find a solution... 

Suggestion:

- To be able to add friends using their Spotify login ID

- To be able to see their actions in Spotify Social (what they are listening to)

Hello everyone, Spotify here. We've taken a look at this idea and I think we can offer some valuable information and an update.

If you didn't already know, you can search any user in Facebook by entering the following in the search field of Spotify: spotify:user:USERNAME. Also, once you've found their user profile doing this you can "follow" them to see what they're listening to in your news feed, if they've activated sharing in their preferences.

However, Spotify doesn't have a "search user service" as such. The friends you search in Spotify are viewable because you're already following them. In other words, its a much lighter technical request for Spotify to search your friends and people you follow for a user that matches instead of all the users in Spotify.

We happen to agree that this is a great idea so we're going to mark this as "Under Consideration".

Comments
by Moderator on ‎14-05-2012 11:13 AM

Hey, have you tried using the Spotify search to look up the users?

Just type spotify:user:USERNAME into the search box. You can then add them to your People and follow them in Spotify Social as usual.

by on ‎14-05-2012 11:41 AM

Yes, I have tried to search with the spotiy username, it just says" Did you mean: ...... " Didn't find anything from the catalog.

by Award Winning Artist on ‎14-05-2012 12:31 PM

It's hard to search Facebook users, there are just numbers...

by on ‎14-05-2012 01:10 PM

Sorry, spotify:user:USERNAME worked out. :)

by frank_lapidus on ‎17-06-2012 09:36 AM

The question is: How can I identify the USERNAME? I tried every kind of syntax: johndoe, john.doe, john-doe, ... But nothing worked;-(

by JanessaKaye on ‎17-08-2012 11:19 PM

If you know the friend you want to add, just ask them what their username is when they login to Spotify.

by srh247 on ‎04-10-2012 04:19 AM
How do you add them to your people? It just lists there playlist and if I want to subscribe to it or not. I just want to be able send music and receive music in my inbox, it always shows 0 tracks :(
by Definitive ‎18-12-2012 02:21 AM - edited ‎18-12-2012 02:22 AM

Biggest joke... Let's build our own community of users around someone else's business.... lol

Who makes these decisions, really should be fired.

by deefaa on ‎15-01-2013 07:11 AM

Came here via Google to see if there was a way to add friends without having to Facebook.

Good to see there is a workaround but a complete UI fail.

Why aren't I surprised since Sean Parker has interests in Facebook and Spotify.

by Award Winning Artist on ‎19-02-2013 04:08 PM
Status changed to: New Idea
Removing good idea status. Only ideas with 40+ kudos should have this status.
Announcements
ANNOUNCEMENTS

Ideas monthly review: September

Remember!: use SEARCH before posting. Your idea may have already been requested

Please have a look at the Community Guidelines in the welcome board.

Before posting a new idea, check out our idea submission guidelines

Want to know what happens to your ideas? "Check this out".

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count