Spotify Ideas

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
AdyMiles

Spotify Lite Version

by AdyMiles on ‎10-03-2012 05:49 AM

Please can you do a second simpler, less memory-hogging and bandwidth-hogging version of Spotify? i.e., Spotify Lite (I don't have a fast computer and even optimised I have big lag problems with other programs whilst Spotify is running.)

2014-09-10

Hello everyone. At the moment, we don't have plans for a "lite version" exactly as suggested in this idea but speed of the app is a major priority for us.

We're working on some updates to Spotify to ensure the app uses a minimum amount of computer resources. We plan to update this topic soon so please watch this space and add your feedback in the comments. 

Stay tuned!

Comments
by AdyMiles ‎10-03-2012 08:17 AM - edited ‎10-03-2012 08:18 AM
by AdyMiles on ‎14-04-2012 02:12 PM

I'm surprised there aren't any more replies to this yet!

by odiah on ‎25-04-2012 10:38 AM

Yes, a spotify lite version would be great. My old netbook is almost dying when I rev up Spotify.

by on ‎03-01-2013 12:48 PM

Heads up!

Spotify needs an 'Lite', paralelle version of it's client equivalent to the one back in '09 without any social features, that were simple and fast to run. The new version is very slow for people who using low-end hardware, and the web player is too slow for some people on older computers. The client should not contain any web-kit implementation, but use the original version of the Spider layout engine, that ran very fast at that time! 

by Lolbot on ‎03-01-2013 12:55 PM

Seconded.

by World Tour on ‎03-01-2013 02:03 PM

Agree! Fully skinable desktop client without web-based frame stuff - that would be awesome - oh and fast ofc. ;)

by International Sensation on ‎04-01-2013 03:47 PM

+1 from me.

Great idea!

Peter

by nikobe on ‎06-01-2013 03:12 AM

Sounds like the upcoming web version would cover most of this its very lite and perfectly on my netbook running Ubuntu (1Ghz atom cpu).

by International Sensation ‎12-03-2013 12:14 AM - edited ‎09-07-2013 08:57 PM
Status changed to: New Idea

Changed back to "new idea" status - once this idea reaches 100+ kudos the Spotify staff will review it again and decide on a new status. ~ Peter

by Sodium on ‎15-03-2013 05:34 PM

It seems that the Spotify team is very interested into the html code, as seen in the 0.8.8 update. A movement against the new code is growing among some die-hard users (for instance, me). A notable reject is observed in many posts. People are certainly disliking it, for many different reason which go from aesthetic to many bugs and steps backwards. 

Instead of cancelling the development of the HTML idea, I think that it would be a interesting that Spotify:

– implements a Spotify html5 lite website app where users may choose to connect. To sum up, like grooveshark (but hopefully better).

– develops a new client 0.9 based on your old native code, safe, efficient, attractive, cool, low CPU consuming, fast, etc. Exactly like the 0.8.5 used to be. I think that the old code can still expremely improved and implemented.

Both computer, tablet or phone users could be free to choose between both platforms.

Announcements
ANNOUNCEMENTS

Ideas monthly review: September

Remember!: use SEARCH before posting. Your idea may have already been requested

Please have a look at the Community Guidelines in the welcome board.

Before posting a new idea, check out our idea submission guidelines

Want to know what happens to your ideas? "Check this out".

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count