Spotify Ideas

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
sayhey

flash-less ads

by sayhey on ‎30-03-2012 06:52 PM

I would appreciate the option to disable flash ads. Both Chrome and Spotify have been taking up loads of memory (running Windows 7) and I found that by choosing when to enable flash in Chrome (i.e. it's not the default), I saved a lot of memory. Maybe you could do the same thing in Spotify? There are Chrome extensions that wrap flash content in HTML5 when possible, so the user doesn't notice a difference. Maybe the same is possible for Spotify? It might impove user performance.

Thank you

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted over 1 year ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos. In order to keep an overview of the active ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again!

Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! ;)

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Comments
by International Sensation on ‎12-03-2013 12:32 AM
Status changed to: New Idea
Changed back to "new idea" status - once this idea reaches 40+ kudos the Spotify staff will review it again and decide on a new status. ~ Peter
by JonHynes on ‎25-08-2013 03:45 AM
I am getting pretty sick of so many large internet companies forcing Flash down everyone's throats FOR ABSOLUTELY NO REASON OTHER THAN ADVERTISING!!! YouTube does it, Facebook doesn't push very hard, but they would still love if you had it, Pandora does it, a ton of news sites do it. Fortunately, with Pandora, I can change my user agent to Firefox, and Pandora will reload fine, and it will play music with issues. But with Spotify on play.spotify.com, changing the user agent to Firefox just makes it think I don't have the right browser, even though both Firefox and Safari are supported. If you guys can't figure out how to serve ads without Flash, then maybe you should be sacking your web dev team and hiring people who know how to build an efficient website. I don't know why the hell Flash is still relied upon in this day and age. It should have been buried several years ago.
by thisthatthese on ‎25-10-2013 02:01 PM

Should that be even proposed as an idea? Clearly flash ads are bad for some peoples' old PC's and have big impact on their PCs' performance. There should be a separate option to allow or disallow the flash ads.

A typical small flash app eats more than twice as much of my CPU as a 720p movie, what the hell guys? Have a chat with your flash designers regarding the optimization.

Approximately 600px*100px flash applet uses "SpotifyHelper.exe --type=plugin" which uses 40% of my 2x1.6GHz, while a 720p movie uses only 15% and a 1080p movie uses 50% of it.

Well, for now WMIC, process GET and taskkill in a batch file do the job but it would be great if you did something about it.

You know, however oldschool it sounds, GIFs aren't that bad.

by thisthatthese on ‎28-11-2013 01:51 AM
WMIC process get where "filename = 'spotifyhelper.exe' and commandline like '--type=plugin'" call terminate

Put that in a 30 sec interval loop or in a task scheduler as a background task. No more flash in spotify.

Tested on Windows 7, have fun :)

by World Tour on ‎22-12-2013 06:08 PM
Status changed to: Inactive Idea

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted over 1 year ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos. In order to keep an overview of the active ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again!

Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! ;)

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Announcements
ANNOUNCEMENTS

Ideas monthly review: September

Remember!: use SEARCH before posting. Your idea may have already been requested

Please have a look at the Community Guidelines in the welcome board.

Before posting a new idea, check out our idea submission guidelines

Want to know what happens to your ideas? "Check this out".

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count