Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Latest client only shows subscribed artists in CarPlay UI, but shows all artists in device UI

Latest client only shows subscribed artists in CarPlay UI, but shows all artists in device UI

I just upgraded to the latest version of Spotify on my iPhone 6 today, and when I plugged my phone into my car stereo (a Pioneer AVIC-8200NEX) for CarPlay, I discovered that not all the artists whose music I have in my Library now appear when I select "Your Music" -> "Artists" via the CarPlay UI. They all appear via the iPhone's main display. I initially thought the app was suffering from metadata corruption, so I removed and reinstalled it on my iPhone, but the problem did not correct itself. If I go instead to "Your Music" -> "Albums" in the CarPlay UI, all the albums I have music from in my Library seem to appear. The only artists that appear in the CarPlay UI under "Your Music" -> "Artists" are the ones I've subscribed to, which is different than prior behavior.

61 Replies

Agreed, this is a bit ridiculous. Do the developers not understand what CarPlay is, and how it works, not to mention how the iOS platform works? I'm getting more concerned the more I hear.

Edit: Also, as I mentioned before, the lack of artists other than the "Subscribed" artists is new, but the other issues (audio sample rate, not all albums showing up, UI elements not always drawing in the "Now Playing" panel, etc.) were there before.

Edit 2: Also also, CarPlay (at least for me) doesn't work on my iPad Mini at all. The only device I can test it with is my iPhone 6.

Hey guys!

Thanks for your posts on this topic.

This is just a little update to say our Tech team are looking into this at the moment and we hope to have an update with you very soon.

Thanks for your patience,
Jason

Also, it doesn't let you choose an album by artist. Just shuffles all
songs. Whats even the point in having a premium account if this is all it
does?

I found that when I could see all the artists (prior to this current release), it varied depending on how many tracks from an album I had - if it was all tracks, it kept them together and in order, if it was most (more than half) they typically ended up in reverse order, and if it was just a few, the ordering was random. I would definitely prefer either the same order as in the main app UI, or something selectable in a settings page as far as the sort behavior. It really doesn't seem like a lot of time was spent on making CarPlay work well, which is kind of disappointing for a premium feature like this.

Also, does the dev team speak English? I'm starting to think "CarPlay" is getting relayed to them as "playing in a car", and not what it is, maybe?

I don;t know if perhaps I'm expecting too much on how this is supposed to operate. I use Spotify Premium on Mac (10.11.6), and on iOS10.1 beta. WHen I select Artist, I see all the Artists I follow. When I thne click into an artist page, I see a list of their Albums. I can then choose to play the album from the start, or pick any song I want to play. I can do this on both the MacOS and iOS apps, but not via carplay. It shows me the list of followed artists, with a number of albums next to it (Most of which say 0) and if I click on an artist it just starts shuffling. There is no choice of album, or song via this route.

Am I incorrect in assuming this is how it should work? I don't think so, as it works outwith carplay.

So has there been any motion at all on this? Do the developers have any appreciation for the problem? Or is this abandoned, and we should assume nothing more will happen?

Logged back in here for the exact same reason. Super bummed to see this has received ZERO traction and isn't a priority for Spotify support.  

If ANY Spotify support devs are interested...many of us in this thread have received ZERO support and are having issues with Carplay reflecting FOLLOWED ARTISTS in the Library's ARTIST section instead of just ARTISTS. Screenshot below. 

IMG_3366.JPG

Hi @Jason any updates from Tech Team? Following up for the users on this thread who haven't seen any movement on an answer, thanks!

Still nothing? I noticed a new version (6.8.0) of the iOS app was released, which fixed... nothing. But darn, it's got new icons!

Oh goody. 😐 That was super worthwhile.

Same here: using Spotify with CarPlay is an awful experience. I don't see any artist at all!!! And I have a lot of them subscribed. In an older version I saw at least some of them , but now it's zero!!
For me right now only playlists work.

I really thought they'd actually care about this working well. Apparently not.

Should I just switch to Apple Music and stop paying you guys money? Because that's the message I'm getting here. I mean, if that's the upshot, I can do that - it's kind of a pain, but I can. If the answer is "we don't care, we're not fixing it", just say that.

Really? Still nothing?

Fine, I guess I'll just switch to Apple Music. I guess Spotify doesn't like money.

Thanks for your continued patience @demonfoo I am pinging some of the Rock Stars on this Community Board to see if they can jump in to help. Back with you soonest!

@feelikeastrangr wrote:

Thanks for your continued patience @demonfoo I am pinging some of the Rock Stars on this Community Board to see if they can jump in to help. Back with you soonest!

@badgerarc @user-removed @11169040546 @demonfoo,

Hey there! 

I'm Ethan, One of the Spotify RockStars on the Community!

I've escalated this post so a Spotify staff member will respond shortly.

I've asked this is responded as a priority.

I see you have provided in the infornation required so someone will be posting with a update soon 🙂

Thank you!

I'll be setting up an Apple Music trial this weekend, and starting to migrate over. That said, I'll give you guys one more week to impress me, but the fact that this has dragged on for 2 months, without even an acknowledgement that a problem exists, and the fact that the questions from staff so far have been bordering on insulting in their cluelessness, is exceedingly disappointing, when I'm a paying customer - and multiple people have chimed in noting the exact same issues.

I'm trying not to be insufferable here, but this is a comedy of errors. These issues are not complicated to reproduce, and I can't understand why it's taken this long. Please, impress me soon. Earn that "rock star" title.

As I'm not staff I have no access to Internal Systems. I've logged this on our boards as URGENT and needs dealing with. I'm sorry to hear your not satisfied and you'll be moving to Apple Music.

Someone will respond shortly.

Thanks for your patience its really appreciated 🙂

Escalated.

Hey folks!

We've heard back from our tech team with an update on this. This behaviour appears to be intentional right now. We've passed your feedback about this feature on to the team, though, and we'll be sure to let you know if we have any more news for you in future!

Thanks,

Jack

So it's intentional that the CarPlay app is a piece of **bleep**? Is there an
eta on fixing it?

So it's intentional that CarPlay, the feature that's supposed to keep your hands off your phone, is only about 1/3 usable? You have got to be joking.

This is shameful. I can't believe you'd seriously give this answer to paying customers. Where I work, if we gave an answer like this to paying customers, management would pop a bleeder. Why did Spotify bother getting into the CarPlay developer program, and shipping an app that "supports" it, if it's mostly broken? This is not even beta quality. It's sad.

At least now I know it's time to get all my music moved to Apple Music and stop paying you guys.

Suggested posts