Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

"Spotify to begin rolling out browser-based music app in beta today", is this true?

Solved!

"Spotify to begin rolling out browser-based music app in beta today", is this true?

First of all this might be posted in the wrong section but I don't know where should it belong to so sorry.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/15/3649068/spotify-browser-player-web-app

I just read this article on The Verge saying that a browser based Spotify player is being rolled-out today. I really hope this is true! If this is the case how do we sign up for it? I've been dying to use Spotify on my uni's computer clusters!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Okay, THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT:

First, click here (You must have a Facebook account, you do not need to connect Spotify to it)

https://apps.facebook.com/get-spotify/?fb_source=notification&fb_ref=cazzette_gb&ref=notif¬if_t=app_...

The above link will grant you access to the Spotify web app. Then, you can use https://play.spotify.com/home to access the new web app.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Someone's been doing some investigation ! I hope you're liking it.

I think it's best to clear up a few things before this gets out of hand..

Is this true ?

It's a beta version of a web based player that we think could be very useful in certain situations. I think we all know what they are - that's why it has been a big request for such a long time.

We have been testing it out on a very limited number people. The best way to judge user reactions is to present this to a few handfuls of unsuspecting Spotify users, selected pretty much at random. I know there are a good many Spotify promoters here who would have loved the chance to play around. Please don't be offended.

Is Spotify moving over to the web ?

Absolutely not. It has always been our view that you'll get the very best performance from a dedicated installed app. This is not in any way a replacement. It's just another way for you to enjoy your music, everybody else's music, and hopefully a few more things too.

Marked as solution

Good question.

For now, you could just post any feedback that you feel is relevant here.

We'd certainly be pleased to hear your opinion, but remember that this is a beta that has escaped. There are likely to be bugs. If there are any obvious ones the team are likely aware of them. In addition, we might not have any feedback to give on your feedback.. but go right ahead !

Marked as solution

I am yet to see or hear any ads, both on premium and free which is strange! 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

92 Replies

I think if this is true, player is something like music.spotify.com or web.spotify.com ?

I hope this is true cos I need this so much.

Has anyone been invited to the beta or figured out what the web URL is? 

The following URL has been discovered, and will most likely be the link for the web app once it launches:

http://play.spotify.com

It now redirects to the download page because it's not for the public yet. But it doesn't 404 which means it's likely going to be the web app's address.

Cool. Thanks Stupify!

Any ideas or word on how to get access to the beta?

So far I'm hearing that you may get a Facebook ad that will give you access to it. Because Facebook's running the show as always...

Marked as solution

Okay, THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT:

First, click here (You must have a Facebook account, you do not need to connect Spotify to it)

https://apps.facebook.com/get-spotify/?fb_source=notification&fb_ref=cazzette_gb&ref=notif¬if_t=app_...

The above link will grant you access to the Spotify web app. Then, you can use https://play.spotify.com/home to access the new web app.

You're the man Stupify. Big thanks!

Marked as solution

Someone's been doing some investigation ! I hope you're liking it.

I think it's best to clear up a few things before this gets out of hand..

Is this true ?

It's a beta version of a web based player that we think could be very useful in certain situations. I think we all know what they are - that's why it has been a big request for such a long time.

We have been testing it out on a very limited number people. The best way to judge user reactions is to present this to a few handfuls of unsuspecting Spotify users, selected pretty much at random. I know there are a good many Spotify promoters here who would have loved the chance to play around. Please don't be offended.

Is Spotify moving over to the web ?

Absolutely not. It has always been our view that you'll get the very best performance from a dedicated installed app. This is not in any way a replacement. It's just another way for you to enjoy your music, everybody else's music, and hopefully a few more things too.

Thanks for the clarification Jude 🙂 

Peter

Peter

Jude--if we have any feedback regarding the web app, where should we send it?

Search popup is all blurry and fuzzy in Google Chrome. (not sure about other browsers)

A lot of other things appear very blurry.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Very slow!

This play.spotify.com makes my Firefox unstable and slow, memory used for this page over 500MB.

Slow playlists, if more than 1,000 tracks, not even showing properly or just empty playlist or just don't recognize play with double-click.

Sometimes artists pages are showing "Not artist with that name", even if in Desktop app have this artist page.

In overal look is sweet and simple, but lot of bugs. For beta 2/5.

Marked as solution

Good question.

For now, you could just post any feedback that you feel is relevant here.

We'd certainly be pleased to hear your opinion, but remember that this is a beta that has escaped. There are likely to be bugs. If there are any obvious ones the team are likely aware of them. In addition, we might not have any feedback to give on your feedback.. but go right ahead !

Just tried it out. 

Works okay on my desktop, looks awesome, a little bit slow.

I'm so pleased that it works on my BlackBerry Playbook though! Finally I can listen to music on my tablet, all be it painfully slowly 😛

Peter

Peter

spotify slow.png

Enjoy your music!

Hey folks!

Some screenshots! Feel free to share with your friends. 🙂

spotify web 0.png

spotify web 1.png

spotify web 2.png

spotify web 3.png

spotify web 4.png

spotify web 5.png

spotify web 6.png

spotify web 7.png

spotify web 8.png

spotify web 9.png

Screenshots by me.

Wow, Now I will be for sure buying Unlinited after chrismas again :).

I just tested it out, it's kinda slow loading large playlists but I expected this. Looks good and is quite fast, certainly better then some other web platforms I have used.

Here an image from my point of view.

webplayer 1

Though when searching in my google chome browser the writing in the search results bar do look blured, not sure if this is because of google chome or what.

But I not really found any major problems yet but I sure I let you know if I find any :).

Thanks

Liam

System Specs:
Intel® Core™ i5-2500K Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.70 GHz), 4GB Ram DRR3 (800Mhz), Intel 3000 HD Graphics, 500GB HDD at 5400 RPM, 250GB Extra HDD at 5400RPM, WIn7 Home Premium

Just a quickie, iv got access to the web player, how do we give feedback to Spotify specifically for the web player developers? 

Any ideas.

Cheers

Jude said "For now, you could just post any feedback that you feel is relevant here."

So here 🙂

System Specs:
Intel® Core™ i5-2500K Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.70 GHz), 4GB Ram DRR3 (800Mhz), Intel 3000 HD Graphics, 500GB HDD at 5400 RPM, 250GB Extra HDD at 5400RPM, WIn7 Home Premium

Suggested posts