Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Add NUS Extra card to existing Premium account - how?!

Solved!

Add NUS Extra card to existing Premium account - how?!

Hi, 

I am an existing Premium account customer and would like  to add my NUS Extra card to my account in order to recieve the 50% discount offer. I cannot work out how to do this. On the ' Subscrpition' page there is no indication of how to do this as far as I can see.

The Spotify website says thus: 

(http://support.spotify.com/uk/learn-more/faq/#!/article/NUS-student-discount-offer)

"How take advantage of the Student Discount

Visit the Spotify Student Discount page at the NUS website. Click the button at the bottom of the page to get the offer (you will need to log in first). You will then be directed to the Spotify website to complete the process.

Alternatively, you can go directly to the NUS Student Discount page at the Spotify website. In this case you will need to fill in your NUS extra card details manually.

Current subscribers to Unlimited, Premium (or Premium Free Trial)

If you already have a Spotify subscription, the discounted rate will apply at the time of your next subscription renewal after signing up for the NUS discount offer.

If you have Spotify Unlimited your Spotify account will be upgraded to Spotify Premium on the renewal date. The discounted Premium rate will be charged. At current subscription rates, this means that, although your account has been upgraded to Premium, your subscription charge won’t change."

The first link takes you to a page that wants me to vote for my favourite song of the year. There is only one feasible link at the bottom of the page and that just takes you back to the NUS Extra card homepage.

The Second link just takes you to the 'Subscription' page of mt Spotify account, which as aforementioned contains no allusions as to how to add my discount. 

How to I get the 50% discount?!

Many thanks

38 Replies

I have had problems renewing my discount - have tried NUS extra and Unidays.  With both my subscription says £9.99 next month.

Do you need a gap between periods at student rate as I currently have a couple of weeks until my previous year at student rate expires.

Did you get a resolution to your problem?

Waiting on support for an answer 🙂

Rob

@cleverfiend 

Not sure, but support will be able to help you.

https://www.spotify.com/about-us/contact/contact-spotify-support/

If you get an automated reply email telling you to check the help section or the community, you need to reply back to it.

Support usually replies within 24-48 hours.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
Marked as solution

@cleverfiend wrote:

I have had problems renewing my discount - have tried NUS extra and Unidays.  With both my subscription says £9.99 next month.

Do you need a gap between periods at student rate as I currently have a couple of weeks until my previous year at student rate expires.

Did you get a resolution to your problem?

Waiting on support for an answer 🙂

Rob

My account still shows as next payment is £9.99 however Spotify support confirmed my discount is applied for another year.

Hi,

I am having a massive problem with redeming my spotify discount, I enter both my card number and the small PIN on the back and both come back as invalid!!

I have no idea whatr is happening and I havent used the discount before, (My card is only three days old)

I don't already have a premium account so I dont know if I need one to begin with??

@charlie2607 

I suggest you contact support so they can help you

https://www.spotify.com/about-us/contact/contact-spotify-support/

If you get an automated reply email telling you to check the help section or the community, you need to reply back to it, even if it's from a no-reply address.

Support usually replies within 24-48 hours.

You can also tweet to @SpotifyCares on Twitter for help.

MattSudaSpotify Star

Hi there, 

I too am trying to add my NUS card to my account, but when I click through on that link you provided (https://www.spotify.com/uk/student/) I just get taken to my Account Overview and there is no option for adding a student card anywhere. I have tried to delete my subscription and start again from scratch but this had not worked either. 

I have also emailed Spotify customer services but they just sent an automated email saying to try the community and FAQs......

Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks!

@hcliffe1 

There is currently an issue with the student discount sign up.

You will need to contact support.

To contact suport, read this:
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/Trouble-signing-up-for-Student-discount/idi-p/106993...

MattSudaSpotify Star

Hi,

I have linked my account to an NUS discount however i am still paying £9.99 how do i fix this?

Hey @MeganHMuldoon,

Welcome to the Community.

We can see that our customer services team is already helping out via email. They'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks! 

Hi 

I am also having problems with my NUS Extra card. I click on the link to sign up for the student discount with NUS extra and it just takes me back to the acount page and says 'Oops, something went wrong, please try again'. I've been trying again for over a month!

Can anybody help please?

Thanks

S

Hi

I am trying to renew my student premium membership with NUS but the page says it could not be found.

Please can you help?

It just takes me to a page where I need to log into UNiDays?

Yes its all been pretty badly handled by both Spotify and NUS to be honest.

Neither have publicly acknowledged that you cant currently use an NUS card to obtain a Spotify student card.  They've just removed (most of) the details from both their sites.

Reading between the lines I think they are both currently in dispute.  I am an NUS Extra cardholder but not eligible for Unidays so suddenly started being charged £9.99 without notice. I got the money back after kicking up a fuss but put simply Spotify have also lost a paying customer, probably for good.

Simple fact is most students (including those at University) cannot afford to pay the full price for Spotify and there are better/cheaper alternatives out there for them.

Stupid behaviour by Spotify that has resulted in them shooting themselves in the foot IMHO.

Hi Peter, I already have a premium account but want to switch it to a student account as I am a student with the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England & Wales (ICAEW), however, it says Spotify is unable to support the ICA.

Does this mean I can't get a student account being a student with the ICAEW?

Thanks,

Ross

If you are unable to register as an ICAEW student with unidays then the answer currently appears to be no you can't.

It's a ridiculous situation and Spotify seemingly couldn't care less!?.

Why cant I use my NUS extra card to access the student premium? I thought this was also in the plan.

You are correct NUS Extra was a part of the plan until the end of August when both Spotify and NUS appear to have removed any reference to it from their websites with no warning.

I did ask a Spotify representative to comment and he was very cagey and obviously had been told not to comment on this.  Reading between the lines Spotify and NUS are fairly obviously in dispute and this is presumably why the agreement has been ended.

Now that Spotify are working with Unidays (who only cover a fraction of the students who have an NUS card) I cant honestly see the NUS Extra deal being reinstated. No doubt some bean counter is busy putting together graphs telling Spotify how much this action has saved them in discounted premium memberships when in fact they have alienated many potential long term customers and destroyed a viable (if immediately less profitable) revenue stream.

For anyone looking for a Spotify alternative Amazon is offering 6 months free prime membership (£39/year thereafter) to NUS students which includes Amazon Prime Music, while nowhere near as complete as Spotify or Amazon Music Unlimited (which is charged for) Amazon Prime Music allowed me to replicate my Spotify playlists fairly well and the app is fairly similar (if not better) than the spotify alternatives.

So far, out of a couple of hundred tracks I have only found one track that Spotify had that Amazon Prime Music doesnt.  So Prime may work for you, but if you want access to the very latest tracks you may find its nowhere near as good, or as comprehensive as Spotify or the paid option, Amazon Music Unlimited.

https://www.spotify.com/uk/legal/student-discount-terms-and-conditions/ was updated 24 August 2017 so only UniDays users can now get the discount.

😞

Edit: This page is still advertising NUS: https://news.spotify.com/uk/students-get-50-off-spotify-premium/

Hi there, just an fyi - I managed to follow your link and it somehow just extended my student premium plan. It took me to a uni days page but I didn't verify anything,  it then just asked me to confirm the discounted price. It might not go through but currently my account says it is updated to premium.

Worth a try anyway! 

Suggested posts