Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

American Express payment method falsely declining card

American Express payment method falsely declining card

Hi,

I sent in a contact form earlier today. I'm kind of surprised there is no auto-reply set up with it to confirm receipt of the message. Anyway, spotify.com is declining my AmEx with both the front and back CVV/CVC codes (only thing I could think of). I tried last Friday and also today. I also tried both IE and FireFox. I called AmEx and they report no holds on my account and confirmed the purchase should go through.

Please let me know can be done.

If this is a standing, can you please provide an Upgrade code in the meantime so that my phone app will work until you get the issue(s) resolved?

Thanks,

Tom G

67 Replies

Oh, and of course, if any other users have had this issue and know what might be going wrong, any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks,
tg

Still no reply, still not working. Why would you make it hard for people to give you money?

Update, I opened a new ticket under payment methods - 350010. Also, my country profile is USA as well as my AmEx. I've tried adding the card as a payment method on every link I have found (upgrade, payment method, profile, etc).

Hi Tjg- A response to the case you've opened is on its way.

Have a look in your inbox whenever you get a moment.

Hi Meredith,

I received your email and replied. I'll summarize here for anyone else following this post with similar issues. 

I ran through all of the details with AmEx on the phone and everything checks out fine. I also attempted the subscription while on the phone with them and they said that no charge attempt was being made to the card, so the transaction must be failing on the site.

I'd rather not use PayPal as a work-around. If possible I'd rather have the standing issue resolved which may also help others with similar issues.

-Tom G

I have had this same problem for months.  I emailed spotify support about this in December.  Their response asked me if I was using a prepaid Amex card (I wasn't).  I never replied to their email. I was assuming they would fix this and I wouldn't have to go through the effort of explaning everything.  I will reply now and explain everything and see how it goes....

Spotify, if you are reading this, it's very easy to duplicate.  Find a paying member, have them try to switch payment method to their amex card.  It will be declined.  Please fix this!

I'm having the same issue. Tried front and back "codes"; called AMEX.

Fails as hard as the Spotify Linux client, and Spotify seems about as active on this support forum as Google employees on their support forums. Hmmm.

My AMEX just worked on Rdio. Later, Failify.

I was also unable to pay using my American Express Platinum card.

There's definitely something broken with paying for subscriptions using American Express.  HELP!

Hi everyone- Any payments related questions should be directed to our contact form. 

Just scroll to the bottom of the page and select 'Contact' under 'About Us'. From there our payments team can look at your accounts individually. 

I am also trying to pay, but my american express is getting declined... I am trying to give you guys money...

Same issue. Also called American Express, who confirmed no limitations on the card. Paid for something else using the card shortly after Spotify declining.

Spotify - please fix. Basic.

I am continuing to have this same problem. My American Express card works for online transactions all over the place - in real life and online - but not here. It is being immediately declined when I try to enter the new payment details - however, when I spoke with American Express, there is no activity at all coming through to them from Spotify.

This is a Spotify issue, not an issue with my American Express card. Something is going wrong in your checkout process; the process is not even submitting charges to American Express. 

If you can't accept American Express, you should really just take it out of your checkout process.

same problem here with AMEX Bluecash Everyday card. I've tried several times now. I'm contacting both AMEX and Spotify.

Per http://www.spotify.com/us/help/faq/premium/payment-problem/, I'm wondering why charges through Spotify would be a "foreign transaction" since Spotify limits my use to the US store.

I’m sorry, Meredith, but sending a message via your contact form (which was my first course of action) results in equally unhelpful responses from Spotify. Your support staff prefers to address the issue by shifting blame, instead of attempting to find a solution.

I have given them detailed explanations of the troubleshooting process that I have gone through with AmEx and how everything checks out, yet support staff insists that the problem must be that AmEx is not accepting the 0.01 authorization. Then they contradict themselves by stating that there is no record whatsoever on Spotify’s side that any attempts are being made. If the issue is that AmEx is “declining 0.01 authorizations”, why is there not a single record of the attempt on your end? Excuses have a bad habit of betraying the truth: that you simply do not want to address this issue.

Somebody mentioned Rdio… I might give that, or Mog, a try. Or both!

Yes, I think I’ll do that.

Was about to leave my office for an appointment, but then remembered I hadn’t subscribed to Rdio yet.

It quite literally took me less than one full minute to do both: add my AmEx card as a payment option, and upgrade my account to the Unlimited plan. I repeat: that’s less than a full minute for both actions.

I’ve spent more time on this post than it took Rdio to take my money. Go Rdio.

Same problem here. You would think any problem arising from customers being unable to give you their money would have been promptly resolved, but noooo......I will continue paying with my other Visa credit card, but I would much rather get the points on my Amex. Please Spotify, get this fixed.

Ugh. I've had the same issue. I was switching cards to my new one and added it successfully to all my other accounts, but not to Spotify. I was about to call AmEx but it sounds like it's a moot point. I'll still try but it sounds like I'll be stuck using my Visa. Thanks for starting this thread. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

The only solution I found to this was to use PayPal and link to your AmEx account; it works without any problems. Still, this should not have to be a work around.

Christypea -

The chance of this getting fixed soon seems to be very small, given that this thread was first started back in March. I just gave up using premium.

Suggested posts