Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Change from Facebook login to login with Spotify details.

Solved!

Change from Facebook login to login with Spotify details.

I'm trying to change from using my Facebook login to logging in with Spotify details. I basically want to deactivate my Facebook. In doing so, Spotify won't work without being logged in to Facebook. Does anyone know how to change this?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

edit: Spotify no longer requires Facebook, this was changed on 30 August 2012. This is an old thread, my original reply below:

You can't use Spotify without an active Facebook account. You will have to find another music service. Alternatives include Rdio and Grooveshark.

View solution in original post

22 Replies
Marked as solution

edit: Spotify no longer requires Facebook, this was changed on 30 August 2012. This is an old thread, my original reply below:

You can't use Spotify without an active Facebook account. You will have to find another music service. Alternatives include Rdio and Grooveshark.

I would agree with A1yssaaa.

I really hate that I have to have a Facebook account to sign up to Spotify.

lame!

I guess Ill be swithing and paying a different internet radio

I won't be continuing to use spotify. FB has a notorious issue with info tracking and I prefer not to have every app running through something that I cannot control. It is bloody invasive. I don't even use FB on my Mobile.

Spotify get a clue PLEASE not everyone wants to use FB. I decline every fb app that gets sent to me as it is invasive in nature. 

Respect your patrons especially for what you charge.

This is an old thread. You no longer need a Facebook account to use Spotify.

However, if you signed up while Facebook was required (between 22 September 2011 and 30 August 2012) you need to create a new account. Also, it is still possible to create an account through a Facebook login and if you've done so, you need to create a new account to get a non-FB login.

To create an account without Facebook, go to the sign up page and click "Create an account with my email address" at the bottom.

I have a premium account that I have already been paying for for a while, and I have all my music on here. I don't want to have to make a new account, because I will be off of facebook for a month. I listen to my spotify music every single day. Is there really no way to switch a facebook-based account over to a normalaccount without making a new one????

I'd really like to know the answer to this, too.

Me too...

The answer is no. You must make a new account if you don't want to log in with Facebook.

In case you're worried that you made a mistake signing up with Facebook, you probably didn't. Spotify REQUIRED a Facebook account a while ago and using Facebook was the only way back then.

The reason for the tie-up is because Sean Parker, who is an investor in both Spotify and Facebook, does not want you to leave Facebook so he tied up your Spotify to it.

this is crap, i also pay for a account with spotify and want to combine them, but nolonger want to have to sign in with my fb account id, due to security issues.....i also understand as an invester sean parker should not have to loose money just because we nolonger wish to sign in through fb to listen to music, give hime his part, but give us the option to sign into the same account both ways with or with out using fb, but keeping the same playlist its a simple fix really and I know that you have someone there that is smart enought to piece together this equation for the rest of the users that might require this 2 ways to log in problem.....

Hey - would it be possible to create a new account with the email address, that I used in my first account, if I delete my first account??

And by the way, do you know how to delete an account??

Thanks!

;o)

Tine

@TiKa_01 wrote:

Hey - would it be possible to create a new account with the email address, that I used in my first account, if I delete my first account??

And by the way, do you know how to delete an account??

Thanks!

;o)

Tine

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂

You should get in touch with the customer services team directly using the online contact form and they will be able to assist  in migrating to a new account.

If you get an automated email reply back directing you to the community or help pages, you need to reply directly to that email (even if its from no-reply) and one of the customer services agents will get back to you as soon as possible.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I've had a spotify premium account for a couple months now and signed up through using facebook. I still like being able to login through facebook but want to be able to login through just spotify for the times spotify logs me out and I don't have wifi. When it logs me out randomly (which happens frequently on my ipod touch) and I don't have wifi I'm stuck with not being able to listen to all the music I paid for because I cannot login back in without wifi. 

Logging in using Spotify details will still require a connection to the internet. I think the thing we should focus on are these random log outs. Which generation iPod touch are you using when this happens? Have you reinstalled the app since it started happening?

--------------------------------------------------------------

For Twitter support, find us at @SpotifyCares.

Follow me on Spotify.

Why is this thread classified as solved? It is not solved, what kind of solution is having to create a new account!? I want to get rid of facebook and keep my (paid for) spotify account with all the playlists etc. That cannot be that hard...

Having to login with FB is what made me cancel my premium subscription. I have been using Google play for a couple of years now,  I do have to admit, Spotify has a better variety of music, for now at least, and that is the only reason why I kept my Spotify account, because of the playlists / songs that I had and I couldn't find in Google Play. So I came back.... I tried to create an account using my Gmail but since I had that as my default email I couldn't, because " That email was already associated to another Spotify Account" A lightbulb lit and I did the following to create a new account NOT using FB.

Starting from the premise the you have a Gmail account, this being youremail@gmail.com this is what I did:

1. Create a new account and instead of using youremail@gmail.com type your.email@gmail.com ( Notice the dot in the username) This is a Gmail feature, that allows you to add a dot anywhere within your username to differentiate your email address, Spotify won't know its the same email, when it actually is.

2. Once you do this you can back up the playlists from your FB enabled account, and restore these PL into the new account, once you are done restoring, delete the old account, or revoke FB permissions and boom, FB is no longer necessary to use Spotify.

I hope this helps

@Tmathot -- we're not able to help out with this via Community, but our support team can copy playlists between accounts, so you won't need to start totally from scratch.

--------------------------------------------------------------

For common support questions, see support.spotify.com.
To judge my musical taste, check out my last.fm.

Apparently you can't delete your post after you post it, because in that time someone else answered my question. Fantastic programming, spotify! Almost as fantastic as not having an option to change your log in info! Good job! <insert sarcastic eye roll>

Thank you for letting us know the FB requirement is changed but I still don't see in the thread any info on switching an existing premium account that's tied to FB to a login without FB. I hate tying things to FB and I will also likely be shutting down my FB account. I don't want to lose all my stuff in my premium account and have to start over though. Is there  a way to just change the existing account to be NOT tied to FB? If so, how? Thanks!

Suggested posts