Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Disable Notifications

Disable Notifications

The notifications are an awesome feature; however, I have many friends and many playlists and I receive way too many notifications!

I cannot find an option to disable or turn them off.  Is there one?  If not, please make an option to disable/enable notifications!

Thanks in advance!

Lan

38 Replies

Thought I had turned off all notifications yet still getting all / daily random playlists from friends. 

Beggining to feel spammed after a few months trying to get this sorted... 

Help with turning off playlist notifications please? 

Also would be GREAT to have an English language version please on the NL page, i know it's Netherlands though not all users are Dutch/speakers. I'm sure many are international. 

Thanks!

Hubert  

Hey guys! 🙂

Are you talking about the notifications inside the client or the email notifcations?

Email notifications can be turned off from your online account.

Notifications inside the client can be turned off by disconnecting your Facebook from your Spotify account, although this is not an option if you log in using Facebook. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

That does not disable notifications, but when you're disconnected from Facebook your friends won't cause activity on it.

If you subscribe to playlists and it gets updated, it will still cause notifications when you are disconnected from Facebook. There is no way to disable notifications completely.

I second the request to allow disabling of all notifications.  I'm talking about the windows desktop client with the little red bubbles in the top right corner.  This is an solid product, it'd be awesome if users had an option to pull the social networking plug in general.

I would also love to disable notifications. They are a design flaw in the sense that just because I subscribed to a playlist, this does not mean i am interested in seeing any and all updates or changes to that list.  That is just attention hijacking - and on OSX with the dock icon jumping out and the badges on everything this is a high level of attention-grabbing. The playlist changes are too unimportant to grab so much attention. 

Either make it so users can choose to receive notifications (by subscribing for instance) - or make them an option under the playlist ('see playlist changes'). 

Consider this:

I - and I am sure lots of other users, be they more or less consciously aware of this response - get nervous when I see badges on my application icons. As they are really proliferating wildly over the last year or so, with each and every app wanting to scream at the user that *something important* happened, it is time interaction designers start to show some restraint when designing notification features in their app. Spotify could be on the forefront of this. As it is the case now, I would rather not look at spotify now or have it running because of the badge icon - I use the interactively-challenged Sonos interface instead. 

Welcome to the Community Ubilaz. 

A similar idea regarding notifications has already been posted in the Ideas Board. I recommend adding your Kudos and comments there to show your support. 

Our team keeps a close eye on these ideas and we provide updates whenever we can. 

The badging of the icon in OSX is really annoying and distracting. I only subscribe to a few playlists, but I have several notifications per day. I just got yet another one while writing this. I can't imagine how obnoxious it is if you subscribe to a lot of playlists.

It's even more annoying now that it's being used for advertising (my latest one is an announcemet of an "exclusive track" from some band I've never heard of).

• I don't want or need an icon badge when any of the playlist I subscribe to gets updated.
  • I REALLY REALLY don't want an icon badge for advertisements. 

Please let us disable this "feature".

I 100% agree that the OSX client badge needs to have the option to NOT be lighting up with every darn tidbit that shows up in the notifications section of the client. Notifications should be a part of the OSX notification center PERIOD. Overriding that user interface convention is not OK. 

I've solved this by switching to Rdio. Same music, no bullhorn!

This worked for me.

For real, this is a clear example of sacrificing user experience in the name of the dollar. Some people find social and notification features intrusive. Let us disable them.

@ninzucchi wrote:

For real, this is a clear example of sacrificing user experience in the name of the dollar. Some people find social and notification features intrusive. Let us disable them.

Be sure to add your kudos and comments to the main ideas topic about this issue here 😉 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

bump, need to be able to turn these off

I know this may sound ridiculous but the red badge icon is very distracting to me. I use Spotify at work while I am designing for the purpose of focusing. The little red badge icon grabs my attention and I feel the urgent need to quell the notification so that I can move on with work. It is like getting a text message or a "you've got mail" but it is constant. I realize it is a little neurotic but... I un-followed all of my playlists in hopes that it would stop and I still got the notifications. I also tried to click thema nd follow them but they were still there. So instead... I just deleted Spotify from my computer... Done deal! Life can continue flowing once again!

Thanks

Totally agree!

I just hide it now. That also helps. But I still can't for the life of me
understand the arrogance of the app designers in grabbing attention.

We need to unite and get our focus control back. It's ours. Not that of app
designers!

E.

How do I turn off Notifications please? The Facebook feed showing what friends are listening to is fine - it's non invasive and I sometimes find nice new tracks this way. I do not however need Spotify to annoy me with alerts - I'm already inundated with alerts from all the other systems I use - Spotify is great as it stands without having to make it show me noticifications about new tracks. I don't really care if Spotify or anyone else adds a new track or not to playlists I've subsrcibed to. And I will continue to use Spotify every day because it's a great service - but with alerts it's just distracting !!

Please help! I can't see anywhere in the settings to disable these. If I can't tuirn them off is there a way to roll back to the old (pre alerts) version of Spotify? It's stressing me out having that notifications number on my spotify icon while I'm trying to get my work done.

Thank you!!

Ha, I had the same issue. Also, even if I clicked it I wasn't able to get
rid of the red badge notification. My work-around was to go to Spotify.com
and scroll down to the bottom of the page where it says "Web Player". I
opened the web player and you can either click the notifications (which
actually took the red badges away from the application) or you can just use
the web player (one less window open, I guess). It's just a work around but
I hope this helps!

John

Bump, absolutely hate these and still cant find a setting to turn them off.

AND Im getting stupid notifications on the forum too! 1 week badge, why?!

Seriously make an option to remove this. I'm a huge Spotify fan but this is unacceptable. I try to do work and actually MINIMIZE distractions. I'm already a premium Spotify spending 120 euros every year. What the hell is your advantage that I neuotically click on the Spotify icon just to get rid of that anoying red bubble in my taskbar??

If this isn't going to change I'm done with it, and go see what the other services are offering. 

It is really really sad that you completely degrade a good product with cheap click bait tricks.

Suggested posts