Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Gift card

Solved!

Gift card

Why is my gift card code invalid 6 days after paying $36? The retail store confirmed yesterday that the card was correctly activated with a Spotify approval number on the receipt and cannot refund my $36. Why has Spotify not fixed this after getting my emails 3 days ago? Why am I having the same problems with a 2nd gift card bought yesterday? I have done nothing wrong. Spotify has my code and a photo of my gift card and receipt but has done nothing to help. I have wasted hours trying to find a solution (including 2 hours travelling to the store yesterday and explaining the problem). This has ruined Christmas for me. Is this a scam? Should I inform the authorities? How can Spotify refuse to provide a refund if a card is faulty? Does this breach consumer protection laws?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi @mhutchz,

We (Michael and I) would love to fix this for you, however we are not working for Spotify. We only have permissions to push it to the right guys.

We have escalated this to the staff, they will pick it up and take the neccesary actions to fix this for you. I can't give you an exact date as I can't check internally. Please keep an eye on your inbox and this thread.

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
Last.fm | Twitter

Backstage Intro - Meet Jordi!
What's it like to be in a Spotify Office?

Did I help? Please add a like!
Did I solve your issue? Please accept as the solution!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Hi @Robgraves3,

You should get in touch with the spotify support team by using the online contact form or by tweeting @SpotifyCares on twitter. 

If you get an auto reply back directing you to the help pages, just reply directly to that email (even if its from no-reply) and one of the employees will get back to you as soon as possible.

Last.fm | Twitter

View solution in original post

17 Replies

Hi there,
Welcome at the Spotify Community!

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with redeeming of your gift card. 

When you contacted Spotify, you got an automated reply  (the mail which redirects you to the community). Have you replied to it (even when it says 'no reply')? If not, please reply to that email so a Spotify employee can get back to you as soon as possible. 

If you did reply to that email, or if it has been 48 hours since your reply, please let me know your case ID if you still didn't get any answer.

Hi Michael, yes I did reply to the email and I got one response from Camilo asking for my code which I emailed (3 days ago) but since then I've heard nothing. The case number is 02213187 with this shown in the subject line: "Spotify Case # 02213187: Redeeming my Spotify gift card - It isn’t working ref:_00DD0pxIW._500D0nWOY3:ref".
Thanks for helping! Regards, Mark

I've escalated this message. A Spotify employee should get back to you soon.

How much longer do I have to wait? This should be very easy to fix: activate my card in the system or refund my money and pay compensation for 5 hours of my life wasted on trying to fix this (plus travel costs for the useless 2 hour trip back to the store which sold the faulty card). I wish I had signed instead with Deezer or Google Play, or continued with Guvera whose customer service is brilliant (fast, responsive, helpful, professional & effective). Please fix this.
Marked as solution

Hi @mhutchz,

We (Michael and I) would love to fix this for you, however we are not working for Spotify. We only have permissions to push it to the right guys.

We have escalated this to the staff, they will pick it up and take the neccesary actions to fix this for you. I can't give you an exact date as I can't check internally. Please keep an eye on your inbox and this thread.

Last.fm | Twitter

I'm havering the same problem
Marked as solution

Hi @Robgraves3,

You should get in touch with the spotify support team by using the online contact form or by tweeting @SpotifyCares on twitter. 

If you get an auto reply back directing you to the help pages, just reply directly to that email (even if its from no-reply) and one of the employees will get back to you as soon as possible.

Last.fm | Twitter

Good luck.  Their customer service seems out of touch with reality.  First off it's terrible that you can only communicate via e-mail.  It's the most ineffecient way to get something done. It benefits them and their probably outsourced support team rather than benefiting the customer.

However - I am in the same boat.  I'm hoping I can find my receipt... bought the gift card at Wal-Mart while on vacation.  They act like they can do nothing about it.

HERE's the real kicker. The CS Rep actually tells me EVEN if the card worked it would do me no good because I have a family account and you can't apply a gift card to a family account??!?!?!  That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.  That's like McDonalds saying you're buying a value meal so cash only no gift cards with this 'special'.  The card should be worth the value.  The only way to use it would be to just create another account I don't need? How dumb.

Spotify should get their act together.  I have a business and would never treat customers this way.

Actually @songofthesouth when you register at Spotify you agree with its legal terms that can be found here: https://www.spotify.com/us/legal/end-user-agreement/ and you can actually see that there are some offers that does not apply with giftcards, such as the Family subscription which is only available with card.

Actually songofthesouth when you register at Spotify you agree with its legal terms that can be found here: https://www.spotify.com/us/legal/end-user-agreement/ and you can actually see that there are some offers that does not apply with giftcards, such as the Family subscription which is only available with card.

Spotify support is not outsourced.

All of the people replying to emails are actual Spotify employees in a Spotify office. 

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Well that's really goofy then.  I signed up before there was a family plan so even if I had read all the legal talk it wasn't there.

Also who does that??  What do I do if someone gives me a spotify gift card as a gift?  Shred it?  

What do I do when someone gives me an iTunes gift card?  Hmm I just put it on my account.

What do I do with a best buy gift card?  I buy something at Best Buy.. if it's on Sale it's all the better.

Can you name any companies off of the top of your head that don't allow you to use their giftcards because you are on a particular plan?

OR

Can you name one benefit for anyone other than Spotify for not taking their own gift cards?

What's a good phone number to reach them at?

@songofthesouth 

Spotify doesn't offer support over the phone.

If you have a case number from support, please post it here. (8 digit number)

I have forwarded your post to the support team at Spotify. Hopefully someone will be in contact soon to make things right.

Thanks for your patience.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hey @songofthesouth 

I have responded to your case with a potential solution. I'll await your response.

these replys sound very automated, i've seen the whole "We (micheal and I )" , statement posted on 8 other people  post. dosent give me much hope of getting my problem fixed one bit.  i bought a gift card last week on the 15 of Feb. i want to cancel it now. 

like it said i could right after i purchased it and the Transaction went trough.

it is now the 20th and i went in to my spotify acount to cancel my purchase of that said gift card.

but

1. theres no cancelation option to be found. 

2. i check the recepit.. and there is no history of me event buying the gift card last week. And

3. my bank statment said otherwise,  that the $29.99 was with drawn from my account on Feb. 15th.

so i went to the spotify web site and submitted my issue.  it sent me an email and here i am.

i thought i'd check an see if  anyone else was having this issue about getting a refund while i wait for a response from and email that told me not to reply ( i mean really what coustomer services sends and email that tells you not to reply when their supose to be helping you fix an issue.. I mean REALLY!!) 

Anyway. On top of that i found people having issues with not even being able to use or redeem their gift card codes.

My gift card is scheduled to be sent to the provided email adress on the on 2/28/2016. I figure id get the refund process started now. But Now i don't even know if ill get the refund or if the gift card will even work.

considering this whole first page of post from the community regaruding the same or simmilar issue are resopnded to by the ""same exact worded post"",  from people who claim to be coustomer service Repersenatives.

And were suppose to believe thier human and these aren't automated responses generated from key words found in our post lol.

i'd like to see a post where the actualy hold a full length meaningful conversation with us cusomers that actualy sovle our problem.

Or at leat have a chat option with customer support to trouble shoot and fix the issue since they don't provide a way to talk over the phone.

i don't think having to post your case number and wait for an email scripted response is the right way to provide good customer service.

I just saying!

okay so I purchased a gift card for a friend online it so happens that I gave the wrong email is there any way this can be fixed 😞

Suggested posts