Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Pay with PayPal without Creditcard

Pay with PayPal without Creditcard

Hi,

i'm glad to see that Spotify is now avaible in Germany.

I would like to use the Premium Membership, but if i try to pay with PayPal i still need

a credit card.

Why is it not possible to use PayPal without a credit card, but with a "normal" bank account?

89 Replies

Hey Sam,

Thanks for the quick answer. I 'solved' it by deleting the payment information all together.

If I want to reactivate it, I still have to do the work around by setting my location to England even though I live in The Netherlands, which is not the right way. 

Do you have any more info on the Paypal connected to bank account option? That would save the problem for many right?

inTOWN - I don't have any info regarding that, I'm afraid. We'll keep you guys informed if or when any changes do take place.
-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

Thanks! I hope that change comes thru 😉

Please make an effort to make this happen.

For myself I have been paying through swedish bredbandsbolaget (premium) but since their business with spotify ended I have been locked out.

I do not want to expose my credit card when I dont have to. I use Paypal instead.
And  I do not want to give my credit card details to paypal  either since they have been known to create problems from time to time.

My account should be proven as Swedish since my time with Bredbandsbolaget so that should not be a problem.

While spotify is taking their time to resolve this stupid block I guess it is time to check out he alternatives......

hy!

any news about the problem?

im from austria and have the same problem..

I have no credit card and I would have no credit card in future, thats why i create a paypal account..

sad but things not working!!

br

meik

And then they wonder why people start downloading music, when they cant even accept one of the most used online payment options. Very smart spotify, very smart indeed. 

Program uninstalled till this is fixed

@Dimitry wrote:

And then they wonder why people start downloading music, when they cant even accept one of the most used online payment options. Very smart spotify, very smart indeed. 

Program uninstalled till this is fixed

There is no need to Uninstall program. You can always enjoy music absolutely free with Free service.

Hi there,

I live in the Netherlands and have the same problem as written above.

Spotify, is there a solution for this problem or not? 

when it is not possible perhaps you can look for the possibility to pay with IDeal?

Greetings from Holland

Having the same problem. Want to sign up for an unlimited accaunt. Put EU15 in my paypal accaunt but spotify won't accept it. Same same as everybody, living in the Netherlands and do not want to have a credit card. PayPal is connected to my bank accaunt aswell, any news on when we can expect a solution for this?

BobStomper - These are the conditions your PayPal account has to meet in order for a payment to go through nicely...

1. Your PayPal account must be from the same country as the one set in your Spotify account profile: https://www.spotify.com/account/profile/ 

2. The PayPal account must be linked to a credit card, and this card must not have expired. 

3. Your PayPal account must be verified to enable recurring payments. 

PayPal has different ways to verify your account depending on the country in which the account is registered. Here are some links from PayPal on account verification. 

Verifying with a bank account: http://tinyurl.com/ydbc75w 

Verifying with a credit or debit card: http://tinyurl.com/causru7 

Link to verify your account: http://tinyurl.com/c2ey487 

If you'd like more info on how to verify your country, you'll need to contact PayPal, I'm afraid.

Anyway, after verifying these with Paypal, ensure you have enough funds in your account and give it one more try on your subscription page: https://www.spotify.com/account/subscription/ 

Let us know how you get on.

HHolland - We are aware of iDeal, but we don't have any news for you regarding this. We'll post about it if there are any updates.

-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

Why on earth do I need to have a credit card linked. Compare to the case when I purchase a voucher at the local store.

"Your paypal account must be verified to enable recurring payments"

Also strange. If I would like to buy one single month that is not a recurring payment.

You must learn to differentiate between one-off and subscriptions.

And if I choose to have a subscription via paypal then it is my responsibility to have the money available in my paypal account. And if I fail then spotify can block the usage.

Spotify have to date lost 5 months of business from me due to this stupidity.

I would not be surprised if there are many people like me.

Hey 🙂

You need to have a credit card linked to your account to verify you are located in a country where Spotify is available. You card location must also match the location in your online Spotify profile for security reasons. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I that is the case what did you do? What type of debit card? And did you change any specific settings in your Paypal account?

Thanks!

Hey!

Welcome to the community 🙂

Everything you will need to know is in this post.

Personally I pay by recurring debit card transactions not PayPal 😉

Peter

Peter

So if i understand it correctly. You can only use PayPal if you have a creditcard. But you can pay with creditcard directly aswell? hmm..so the only option for me is to buy the giftcards or to get a creditcard..thats rather sad. Wish it would  work with my bank accaunt connected to PayPal..but thats already the case.

It works with debit cards as well if you have one of those 😉 

I really don't understand the credit/debit card on paypal requirement, I think it defeats the purpose of allowing PayPal but thats just my opinion. There must be a technical reason why its not possible without one. 

Peter

Peter

Sam - in previous answers from other moderators the reason credit cards are required is bc off licensees. But if PayPal verifies the account with a local bank you have the country verified, right? Regardless of the reason, is spotify working on an other solution? If so, when is this expected to be available?

Hammeh - not sure where you are from but most European debit cards work through the maestro network only. Thus no credit card option, just pin!

Im in the UK so I have a Visa debit card which I use for Spotify.

Peter

Peter

Peter - fair! Unfortunately I don't have that option in the Netherlands. So still have a problem! Thanks anyway! 🙂

Suggested posts