Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Sharing playlists without Facebook

Sharing playlists without Facebook

Hi,
I am a music teacher trying to share playlists with my students. Firstly , is this possible if I am a premium user and they only have basic spotify ? Also, I want to do it without using Facebook at all, for obvious reasons. How is this possible please ?
17 Replies

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Yes it will work regardless of what subscription plan you are on. 

The easiest way for you to share I think is to just give them the link to your playlist, either on paper or via email. You can get the link by right clicking on the playlist name and selecting "Copy HTTP link" or "Copy Spotify URI" they both point to the playlist. When a student clicks on either of these from an email lets say, it will automatically open in their Spotify client. (Or type the HTTP link into a webbrowser, or copies the URI directly into the Spotify search box)

Alternatively, but this requires a little more effort you could collect all of your students usernames (but be warned if they have accounts created through Facebook their Spotify usernames will be all numbers) and then you can find them in the client by searching for:

spotify:user:USERNAME

with USERNAME replaced with their Spotify username (Note: Spotify and Facebook Usernames are totally different things!) Once you have followed them you can then send them playlists directly to their Spotify inbox by right clicking on the playlist name, selecting "Share" > "Share with Friend" and then enter their name in the box (with an optional message) > Send.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Hi!

My boyfriend doesn't have facebook but he has premium. I have facebook username but dont have premium. I know his spotify username, but when I search after him Spotify says the user cant be found.

I have right clicked the playlist and clicked on share. Then clicked, Send to but I cant find him. Shouldnt this sharing thing work the other way? Or is it because I am connected through my facebook account that I cant share with someone that doesnt have facebook?

What can I do to make this work?

I just want to share my playlist with someone that hasnt facebook. I only have an account through facebook.

Thank you for answering soon.

You need to find his profile and follow him. Try searching for it by searching for:
spotify:user:hisusername

so for example my profile is:
spotify:user:hammeh

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I was able to find a friend by using spotify:user:USERNAME. However, when I try to share something with him, I cannot find him in the SEND tool. Why is this?

I am premium, he is not. Will this make a difference?

Also, he tried finding me through the same naming covention tool and couldn't find me.

Help!

I have this same problem. I have been told you can only share directly with friends via spotify app if they have a Facebook account. Otherwise you just have to send a link. This applies even if you pay for premium. Ridiculous I know.

hi, i have premium and have a few friends who are not fb users.  you should be able to share with one another.  i think the premium only comes iinto play if you are sharing a song that is only available via the premium library- they won't be able to hear it if they dont have that access.  

otherwise, to share with a non fb user, you need to first find them (enter their spotify username in the search box).  once you find them, follow them.  then, restart spotify.  finally, find the song or playlist you want to share.  when you right click on the song to share it, you can enter their username and it will appear amongst your other fb contacts!  i literally just did this after having issues, so i know its definitely possible.  hope this helps! 

enjoy the  music...

Yes, it was the restart that was the missing bit!
Thanks

Is it not possible to share HTTP link of playlist no more? Like if would like to share publicly? without making any friends in Spotify nor Facebook?

How do you restart Spotify?  I've logged out, closed the app and reopened, and I still can't share with non fb friends.  

In the iPhone app I also can still not share songs to my non-Facebook friends using the 'send to' feature. Killing the app does not work. I've given up trying to do it.

It also happens to me, it's unbelievable . I met someone and she gave me her spotify user. I can follow her but cannot share a playlist

Same problem here. Following a user, but I can't share any playlist to her. Restarted, logged out/in, nothing works.

Edit: Oh, she has to follow me first, then it worked (after a restart). Found the answer here.

Yep, this is what worked for me: (not a Premium member, not Facebook connected.)

1. Find and follow the (non-Facebook) friend I wish to share with.
  2. Get my friend to find and follow me.
  3. We both close our Spotify apps (in this case Spotify for Mac)
  4. Open my Spotify app again, I can now share with my friend by using Share, Send To... , and starting to type her username. It then appeared.

In this example, once a link is shared is that the same as making the playlist public?  I assume not because the student has to have the specific link to that specific playlist. Also, the students cannot see other playlists, correct?

Hi there,

I am trying to share a spotify playlist with a business i am following but when i right click the playlist and select share, i then go to 'send to' and type in the name but the company doesnt appear to show up in my list... why is this?

It works only in the desktop app! From mobile you can only see your facebook friends. Those inconsistencies really makes Spotify unpleasant.

Hi Peter

When I right click I don't get an option to share with a friend, just to share via various platforms, none of which I use.

Is there something wrong with my premium profile? I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling spotify on my laptop, but this hasn't fixed it.

Thanks in advancde for any advice

Suggested posts