Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify automatically adding songs to a playlist....is there a ghost in my spotify account?

Spotify automatically adding songs to a playlist....is there a ghost in my spotify account?

Please someone help me, this is the most annoying thing in the world.

So I have a collaborative playlist with about 6 other users and I love it. The problem is spotify adds songs to the playlist from my account without me doing anything. It's not even music I listen to or am remotely interested in. This week it has added: Classical music for children, 1920's european jazz, and awful rap. 

There is no rhyme or reason that this is happening to me and I am seriously frustrated. Please someone help. Has this happened to anyone else?

19 Replies

Are you sure no one else is using your account? 

This is very strange! 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Yeah there is no way there is someone else using my account. I only use it on my computer and on my phone. It is logged into through my facebook and I have changed that password.

I'm going to escalate this to the community staff to look into for you. 

Can you provide your operating system and Spotify version (Help > About) just in case that information is needed.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Windows 7. Spotify Version 0.8.5

Thanks!

Walt024 - We wouldn't just add songs to your playlist. Sounds very weird. Would you like me to disconnect all devices logged into your account at the moment? This will make sure no-one is logged in.
-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

Yeah you can try that to see if it will work. It seems to be an issue that has happened to other people too: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Windows/Random-songs-being-stuck-in-my-playlist-by-Spotify/m...

Thanks!

Bumping this.

Every few months this happens to me too. It's the most infuriating thing. I add a song by one artist, and suddenly every song by them ever is there added to my playlist and won't go away, not even if I click the last son gin the list and let it play out.

Honestly, it is the #1 most egregious user experience error I see in the way spotify software works - and it's frustrating enough that it made me quit using spotify for a few months.

And hey it's still there.

Spotify is just lucky all their competitors have their heads ever farther up their asses. If Rdio's playlist worked significantly better, I'd have quit a while ago. But Rdio's has its own significant share of user experience problems.

Why no streaming music company believes users know what they want to listen to and should be able to queue up only those songs accordingly is beyond me.

This only happens when you add a track to the playlist? How do add the track and from which screen?

I searched for a band I was interested in, I queued up a song from the page of one of their albums. And Spotify went and auto-queued up about 40 of their tracks, with an ad as the last track queued up - always the same ad, too. And if I click on the last track to try to get it to move through its auto-queue, it will appear to delete the queued items - but then they are always back again moments later. All of them.

And it is not normal queued items - they are not green on the playlist; they are white. They're like associated tracks or something, and they won't delete and won't stay away.

Spotify has always had this horrible feature; this time it just also won't go away by any means at all.

I think there's some confusion here. Let me see if I can clear it up. First of all, you are talking about the play queue - this is not the same as a playlist. The queue is just the order in which tracks will be played if you hit the "play" button.

You can add a track to this queue from the context menu (right-click > queue) and the track will be added to the queue immediately below the top item. Tracks added in this way are shown in yellow indicating they were added manually and can also be deleted.

If you double-click a track in a tracklist, that track will start to play, the track will appear at the top of the queue together with all remaining tracks from the tracklist. This is the expected behaviour and recognises that when we play a track from an album or a playlist, we generally want to listen to the entire album/playlist.

Adverts will only appear if you are using free spotify.

Hopefully, this fits in with what you're seeing but do shout fi I misunderstood.

The same thing happens to me but in my music library. Sometimes it even logs me out then when I login everything is replaced with song I don't like too.

Its doing the same thing or something similar with me. I'm a massage therapist. I use the playlist I create for my clients. They are created for and tailored to my clients preferances. it's so intrusive not to mention annoying for Spotify to impose their suggested songs especially in the middle of a my mmassags when there's only a certain type of song that will work. I don't want Spotify to do that anyway!!!!!! I want to be able to use it the way I always have~ not for them to **bleep** in and add songs without asking & without there being an option for me to turn it off!! I switched from Pandora to Spotify because I wanted to be able to make my own playlist. This is a BAD idea Spotify!!!! there's other fish in the sea and if this keeps up I'll get my music elsewhere!!!!! Lucy

Its doing the same thing or something similar with me. I'm a massage therapist. I use the playlist I create for my clients. They are created for and tailored to my clients preferances. it's so intrusive not to mention annoying for Spotify to impose their suggested songs especially in the middle of a my mmassags when there's only a certain type of song that will work. I don't want Spotify to do that anyway!!!!!! I want to be able to use it the way I always have~ not for them to **bleep** in and add songs without asking & without there being an option for me to turn it off!! I switched from Pandora to Spotify because I wanted to be able to make my own playlist. This is a BAD idea Spotify!!!! there's other fish in the sea and if this keeps up I'll get my music elsewhere!!!!! Lucy

Its doing it on my account too. This feature sucks~ get rid of it!!! Its doing the same thing or something similar with me. I'm a massage therapist. I use the playlist I create for my clients. They are created for and tailored to my clients preferances. it's so intrusive not to mention annoying for Spotify to impose their suggested songs especially in the middle of a my mmassags when there's only a certain type of song that will work. I don't want Spotify to do that ANYWAY!!!!!! I want to be able to use it the way I always have~ not for them to **bleep** in and add songs without asking & without there being an option for me to turn it off!! I switched from Pandora to Spotify because I wanted to be able to make my own playlist. This is a BAD idea Spotify!!!! there's other fish in the sea and if this keeps up I'll get my music elsewhere!!!!!

This is happening to me as well.  January/February 2017.

I know, sucks doesn't it!!!!

This is happening to me too. I have playlists with loads of songs that I have never even heard before in this list. This has on a couple of occasions caused damage to my reputation. Sort it before I sue 😉

Thanks, I appreciate you trying to help but in my case,unless im misunderstanding you, i dont think your suggestion addressed my problem. Im saying that whenever my playlist is "over" (regardless of where i begin my playlist) spotify has stared adding their songs at that point. I'm not clicking or double clicking anything. Im busy working... trying to anyway.... and then, yet again, here comes spotify, barging in like an unwanted guest, on my playlist!!! I have figured out that i can go into my settings and turn that option off but it keeps coming back on... completely by itself..again im not clicking double ckiking anthing, im not even on my phone when it happens!!! So i have to stop my massage ,stop my playlist, go to settings and turn it off again, then go back to library select my playlist, restart my playlist again and "hope" it'll stay off. They really shouldnt impose songs on my or any premium members playlist to begin with but if they're determined to do so, which they seem to be... The option to turn it off shouldnt be in settings!! The option should be conveniently located right there on the same screen as the playlist( like the download option is). I am a premium subscriber so my guess is your comment about the ads was directed at someone else but i thought id mention that just in case. Wonder if anyone thst does work for spotify reads this??? If so, may i ask, why arent you addressing this problem? Do you really think forcing your suggestions while Im trying to play MY PLAYLIST (at work to top it off) is gonna make me wanna add that suggestion in any conceivable way?? NO IT ISN'T SPOTIFY!!! It makes me want to throw my phone at the wall, abuse alcohol,and cancel spotify forever. However, I do get that the music artist have expectations of you to "get their music out there"and i recognize and agree that you are obliged to them as well as to us. After all without the artist you wouldnt exist, BUT there are obvious and simple ways to accommodate both the artist and the premium listener/subscriber without one sacrificing the other. Surely you can be more creative with your approach !?!

This issue is still not solved for Premium users. I use Shazam, and have a "My Shazam" playlist in spotify and there are a lot of songs added here and there by spotify, with a + mark and these songs are not possible to remove from the playlist, like I can do with the songs I added from Shazam.

This issue has been here since 2012 and now its 2017... seriously, there must be a fix for this by now.

Like everyone else I want my playlist to be "pure" and only contain the songs I selected and added in the order I want listen to them.

Suggested posts