Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Student Discount

Student Discount

I have a very frustrating problem. I tried to get a student discount but it would not verify me, which is stange because the email that's associated with my spotify account is infact my UNIVERSITY EMAIL. I had to submit my transcript in order to prove my student status. After the hour it took me to do this, I checked my bank account and I was charged 4.99 FIVE TIMES!!!! I was very confused and infuriated but i thoiugh okay maybe this means i wont have to pay again for another five months but no..... my spotify account says i will be charged 4.99 AGAIN 8/22 for next month. I just want to be refunded for the 4 months they charged me? is that too much to ask. I dont understand the studnet verification process either. they make you put in your card informtion and THEN attempt to verify your student status. This is rediculous, someone please help.

Screen Shot 2016-07-21 at 8.54.51 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-07-21 at 8.55.40 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-07-21 at 10.44.06 PM.png
5 Replies

Hi @oshirak0698. I would guess that you are most likely seeing a pre-authorization charge. The short version is that these are holds on your account to ensure that it does, and will contain enough funds to cover the transaction when Spotify actually claims the funds. If you attempt to subscribe quickly enough in succession it possible for multiples of these charges to appear.  If the transaction was never completed then the hold should be dropped within a few business days and no funds actually taken from your account. If you're interested in a more complete explanation then the Wikipedia article linked above should suffice. If the charge ultimately does not get dropped and you still do not have access to premium, then please reach out to me and I'll help get it sorted.

@LordRollin wrote:

Hi @oshirak0698. I would guess that you are most likely seeing a pre-authorization charge. The short version is that these are holds on your account to ensure that it does, and will contain enough funds to cover the transaction when Spotify actually claims the funds. If you attempt to subscribe quickly enough in succession it possible for multiples of these charges to appear.  If the transaction was never completed then the hold should be dropped within a few business days and no funds actually taken from your account. If you're interested in a more complete explanation then the Wikipedia article linked above should suffice. If the charge ultimately does not get dropped and you still do not have access to premium, then please reach out to me and I'll help get it sorted.

@LordRollin It's not just a hold on my account, the funds have been withdrawn from my account. At least that's what it shows in my bank statement. Why would they need to charge my account five times in order to ensure i have enough money to pay for one month? 

Are they still listed as "In-Process?" The funds do get "taken" from your account and become unusable until they are released back. As to why it's happened five times, it most likely occurred because in attempting to verify your discount you tried to subscribe more than once. The system considers each attempt individually, which is why you can get more than one transaction attempt. It's not perfect, but it's a fairly common issue.

If your charges are no longer "In-Process," please let me know because then they will no longer be pending charges. Cheers!

they say processing  but im still confused as to whether i will get those four other payments of 4.99 dropped or not

The four extra ones should drop, and if they don't, let me know right away.

Suggested posts