Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Username on Spotify

Solved!

Username on Spotify

So I was required to create a Spotify account using Facebook, which is irritiating but manageable.  How do I change my Spotify username?  Right now it seems I must log int to Spotify as my Facebook name (not comfortable with that) and elsewhere it lists my username as a series of numbers. I am not a number! (as quoted by "The Prisoner").  Please let me know how to take care of this. 

Thanks for your help.  In advance.  As they say in the corporate world.

Elizabeth

165 Replies

Hey, got the same problem. Me and my friends are only displayed as number as well as some them are definitely not friends with me on facebook. Additionally, nothing will be sent to my timeline or to facebook at all and I am wondering why the app only wants to "access my data at any time" but it is not necessary to grant any further rights for it? Might be a facebook authorization problem?

Cheers, Fabi

Btw: I'm using Spotify without any proxy or firewall in the netherlands..

Hi,

this is Spotify for Windows, accessing the internet through a corporate Proxy. That proxy has full interet access, completely unrestricted.

However, the Spotify client does not properly display the names of other users/friends. Instead of their name I see a number (like 2387209). The same is true for my own username. In the top right corner I neither see my profile picture (it's being replaced by a standard icon) nor my username (replaced by some number). 

Also, scrobbling to Facebook does not seem to work.

I tried logging out and back in but to no avail.

Any ideas?

cryptochrome,

Welcome to the community!

I've moved your post into a thread that refers to the same issues you described.  Please read through the thread for more information.  Some people have been able to resolve the issue, but it doesn't seem like everyone has.  You may find some good information in here though.

hi, i had the problem with random guys in my friendlist. so i canceled a subscription of a playlist and re-installed the software. now it seems that the random people in the friend list are gone. fine. maybe temorary. this "random people in friendlist" may have something to do with playlists? have to be fixed.

okay. now, after i've installed the software the names at the right (where notifications from friends are listed) are JUST numbers!! if i click to the profile of a "number" the real name is shown(most cases). but it's still confusing.

Hi there, anyone have the sam problem that spotity desktop shows fb friends only as numbers without pics?

Cheers David

Hey molinsky, welcome the Community.

I've just merged your thread into this bigger one so you can see what we've suggested so far and stay updated on any further developments.
Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

As far as we know this seems to be a issue with blocking ports, but I don't know which ports the Facebook API is using. I have no Problems with the client @ home, but at work I have the same issues because of our restrictive firewall.

I honestly don t think this problem is linked with ports being blocked. I have 2 PCs with the same OS and in the same network with the same firewall settings and one works, the other does not.

Hey all,

I'm trying to connect some more information about this issue so we can figure out what's going on. Some of you have tried connecting on different computers over the same network, with different results. It would be great if you could let us know how the various configurations worked, as follows:

- The systems it did work on (operating system, any firewall software installed)
- The systems it didn't work on (same info)
- How you connect to the internet - proxy? router? office firewall?

Hopefully we can identify some kind of pattern here.
Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

Not working:

- Win XP SP3 without software Firewall, connected via Ethernet.

- Using Proxy (at port 8080) because of Office Firewall

Not working on:

iMac with OS X 10.7.3

Direct connection to router that connects via DSL

No firewall activated in router or operating system

Problem:

- only a few Friends that use spotify show up, rest of friends not

- in the list on the right friends only show up as numbers

- some people show up, that are not friends and have no connection to me

Hello I have the same problem.

After my first install I created the (German) Spotify account by logging in with my Facebook credentials.

There wasn't any friend list - Just the "undefined" message and button. But the friend stream was working (With names and pictures).

After reinstalling some friends (just a few, not all) appeared in the friend list but just with numbers and some of my friends (and some strangers...) appear in the friend stream as numbers, some with names.

I'm using:

Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Microsoft Security Essentials (Virus scan)

Windows Firewall (But Spotify allowed)

Maybe its a problem with some German Facebook accounts? It seems like lot of people experiencing this problems have German accounts.

Yeah that would be possible.

Hey all, got an update for you.

We've just made some changes to the buddy feed on the right. To get the new version just log out and in twice.

Let me know if this helps with the username-as-numbers problem.

That did not change anything for me. Sometimes there are numbers, sometimes not.

no changes for me too.

Any of my friends who weren't signed up through Facebook on Spotify can't find me (a person who recently signed up and was forced to use Facebook) without entering a username.  And my username was automatically assigned as a long senseless number.  Also, lo and behold, Spotify won't allow you to change your username to something that... MAKES SENSE.  Please help?

Forgot to mention that when I submitted an online form with my inquiry to the support team, they sent back an automatic reply that was all in FRENCH.  

unsernumber:

I've merged your post in with another topic discussing the same issue.  Others have some insight as to what is causing the problem, and some people have even been able to fix it.  Please read through the other posts for futher information.

Has anyone managed to solve this problem yet?

Suggested posts