Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

family premium questions

Solved!

family premium questions

I just upgraded my subscription from premium to family premium.  We successfully added my wife by sending her a link which she used to upgrade from her free subscription to our new family premium subscription.

My questions revolve around my son.

First question, he is home for the summer, but will be leaving next month for college.  

The family subscription states that each member must be living at the same address.  How does Spotify know where people live?  How does Spotify handle it when students are away from home for college?

My son currently has his own premium account.  I understand that if he joins our family premium account that he keeps his own account with his existing playlists, etc. and now simply have does not pay the separate $9.99/m b/c he is part of our $14.99/m family premium subscription.  Please confirm or correct my understanding.

So at what point does he have to leave our family premium subscription?  When he graduates from college?  Who tracks this?  How is this tracked?  When he does leave our family premium subscription, how does he keep his premium account so that he does not have to start over and rebuild his entire Spotify premium account.

Thank you.  

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey Ward!

1. Unfortunately, I can't say whether or not Spotify could reimburse your son for the time he had been paying the non-student price. Fortunately, however, you can contact the Spotify Support team here if you need any more assistance with that. If you get an automated reply email telling you to check the help section or the community, you need to reply back to it, even if it's from a no-reply address. Support usually replies within 24-48 hours.

2. That is correct! I don't expect there to be a time when Spotify removes him from your family plan. This would seem to make sense, as there doesn't seem to be a way to verify addresses. If there is, it would be by comparing the billing address of his account to your own. However, since he is a college student, the case may be that he still uses your address as a permanent home address (and possibly the address for his credit card; if he has one), in which there wouldn't be a problem. 

3. For saving more money (the smart way), then yes, simply adding him to your family plan would be best. Otherwise, you would spend extra money paying for his account, on top of your family plan, no matter which one he has (student or non-student).

I hope I was able to answer your questions today! If you still need any more help, don't hesitate to let me know!

Good luck,

Dylan

If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution!
Twitter | Instagram | Snapchat | Spotify
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Hi there,

I understand your concern. I can assure you that Spotify does not check the addresses of the members on your family plan; thus, it is not a requirement that your son live with you in order to benefit from the family plan. It is simply stating that, as a plan for a family, it is assumed that you all live together (it shouldn't be a friend plan, but should remain a plan for family members solely). Additionally, you should be aware that when your son enrolls in a university, he is eligible for the student discount of $4.99+ tax (50% off Premium).

Please look over your options, and see which is best for your family before making a decision. I hope I was able to be of some assistance!

All the best,

Dylan

Dylan

Thanks for your response.  

a few follow up questions.

1) he has been at college for 2 years.  is there any way to get a refund for the difference between what he has been paying $9.99/m and what he should have been paying as a student $4.99/m?

2) since he is family, I understand your response to mean that it will not matter where he resides going forward.  As such, I would expect that there will not come a time where Spotify requires him to leave our family plan.  Thus, I expect that he would never have to be dropped from our family plan and forced to start over and rebuild his own premium plan.  Correct?

3) as to which plan would work best for us, it would seem that since the family plan is a flat $14.99/m for up to 6 users, it would make more sense to simply add him to our new family plan and pay nothing additional vs keeping him on his current plan at $9.99/m or switching him to a student plan at $4.99/m.  Correct?

Thanks again for your help.

Ward

Marked as solution

Hey Ward!

1. Unfortunately, I can't say whether or not Spotify could reimburse your son for the time he had been paying the non-student price. Fortunately, however, you can contact the Spotify Support team here if you need any more assistance with that. If you get an automated reply email telling you to check the help section or the community, you need to reply back to it, even if it's from a no-reply address. Support usually replies within 24-48 hours.

2. That is correct! I don't expect there to be a time when Spotify removes him from your family plan. This would seem to make sense, as there doesn't seem to be a way to verify addresses. If there is, it would be by comparing the billing address of his account to your own. However, since he is a college student, the case may be that he still uses your address as a permanent home address (and possibly the address for his credit card; if he has one), in which there wouldn't be a problem. 

3. For saving more money (the smart way), then yes, simply adding him to your family plan would be best. Otherwise, you would spend extra money paying for his account, on top of your family plan, no matter which one he has (student or non-student).

I hope I was able to answer your questions today! If you still need any more help, don't hesitate to let me know!

Good luck,

Dylan

So if i live at a seperat address to 2 other people on the family premium i was going to shsre it with is this not possible???

Dylan,

Are you a Spotify employee authorized to speak for Spotify? You say "I can assure you that Spotify does not check the addresses of the members on your family plan", but the Premium for Family FAQ says:

All members of a Premium for Family plan must reside at the same physical address. 

If we’re unable to verify the members of a Premium for Family plan, they are removed from the plan. 

Suggested posts