Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

how many devices for a premium a/c

how many devices for a premium a/c

I have spotify premium and connected it to my android. My wife has an Iphone 3gs can that device be allowed to connect with my premium a/c too?

My son has a blackberry 9330 and can that be used in the a/c too?

49 Replies

Spotify can be used on as many devices as you want. BUT you can only listen to one device at atime. If your wife for instance starts playing music, the track on your android will stop playing.

cheers for the advice.

Aholic is right, you'll only be able to stream music on Spotify from one device at a time.

However, you are able to store 'Offline Music' on up to 3 devices. This means you will be able to listen to more than one device at a time, provided the Spotify app is set to 'Offline Mode' and you don't stream any music.
-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

THIS IS INSAINE! I pay for the service, I don't understand why I can't listen to it in my car and at the same time my wife listen to it in her car, we should have to pay for it twice. Or fight about who gets to listen to Spotify when. Will we ever be able to listen at the same time?

The only way is for both of you to pay for it. Spotify is for personal use only.

How come there isn't a subscripion solution for multiple access? Technically it should be possible?

And I guess a small chunk of your userbase thinks it worth the investment just to avoid having multiple location-bound accounts. 

It does say in the terms that Spotify is for personal use only...

Anways, from what I remember, Spotify were looking at discounted rates for multiple premium account subscribers.

If you would like discounted family subscriptions, then go give this idea a kudo:

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Discount-Family-Subscriptions/idi-p/2275

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

@flindeberg wrote:

How come there isn't a subscripion solution for multiple access? Technically it should be possible?

And I guess a small chunk of your userbase thinks it worth the investment just to avoid having multiple location-bound accounts. 

Actually no, it's not really possible when you think about it. 

Option 1: Multiple premium accounts for one subscription - If the purpose is to have a family plan, this wouldn't work because you must be 13 years or older to have a Facebook account. Also, there's no way to prevent random people from pooling money together and paying for cheaper Spotify.

Option 2: One account that can listen on multiple locations at a time - This would require you to share Facebook account details with other people. What would prevent the other people from logging into Facebook itself and reading any personal information that is usually present on Facebook?

You do seem to assume that people use their Facebook accounts to use Spotify. That is not a very reasonable assumption 🙂

And you also assume there would be some kind of discount for multiple-instance access? I'd say no, its a premium service, and we who want it should pay.

What I personally want is an increased number of offline devices as well as multiple streaming access. And no, money does not matter and my Spotify account is not connected to Facebook. It's a matter of convenience, I don't want to be stuck on a transatlantic flight with no music because offline access has been withdrawn, and I don't want one instance to stop playing just because I pressed play on another. 

In short, the problems with Option 1 are Option 2 not even applicable in my case.

flindeberg if you signed up a long time ago you will have a "real" Spotify account. These days you cannot sign up without a FB account so in order to get family Spotify working there will need to be an option to sign up with a non-FB account.

Yeah, but for me that is irrelevant, and for everyone I know as well. I honestly don't know a single one of my friends who has connected their Spotify account with an FB-account. And I guess that holds true for atleast most of the Nordic countries.

And you brought up a key thing I believe, I believe that Spotify can't honestly believe that it's somehow beneficial for them to have the FB requirement nowadays? So there is problably a fishy deal with FB somewhere 🙂

And it wasn't that long ago, wasn't it last fall or something? I've had a couple of Spotify accounts for quite a bit longer than that 🙂 (early fall -08, and I'm getting sick of switching between them depending on which account is on where)

Yes, it's irrelevant for YOU. But why would Spotify introduce a plan that is only actually usable for people who signed up before 22 September 2011?

@Stupify good point!

Option 1: Multiple premium accounts for one subscription- If the purpose is to have a family plan, this wouldn't work because you must be 13 years or older to have a Facebook account. Also, there's no way to prevent random people from pooling money together and paying for cheaper Spotify.

Option 2: One account that can listen on multiple locations at a time - This would require you to share Facebook account details with other people. What would prevent the other people from logging into Facebook itself and reading any personal information that is usually present on Facebook?

Option3: Remove the stupid  insistance on Facebook login and have Facebook linking as opt-in only and then One account that can listen on multiple locations at a time would work fine as long as the subscription is paid to suit! Simple. 🙂

Removing the Facebook requirement? Hah, that's not gonna happen, it's been 10 months with lots of complaining and nothing has been done.

Wishful thinking I know.... I am so glad I signed up before the FB requirement.

@nlao wrote:

Wishful thinking I know.... I am so glad I signed up before the FB requirement.

So am I. I HATE facebook (although I do have an account on it).

@Stupify

Who do we research cardiac medicine which is useful only for people of a certain descent? C'mon, you can't seriously believe that you should not release something just because it is not useful/available for everyone? Kindergarten fairness?

I'll go out on a limb here, but we who had the service earlier probably are the ones willing to pay the most since we obviously thought the service was missing before; hence we became early adopters in this case. 

So from a business perspective it makes perfect sense. Why not introduce a plan that they will make quite a bit of money from? Lets say their price is 25€ or 30€ for a double location premium account with 6 offline devices, I'd sign up without the slightest hesitation just because it would be convenient. Its still way less than a decent meal out.

Although dropping the FB requirement would make the most sense, since it is actually pushing people away from Spotify (and pissing em off in the same move, awesome :D)

Suggested posts