Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

migrate existing premium account into a family plan as a sub-account?

Solved!

migrate existing premium account into a family plan as a sub-account?

Hi,

I already pay for a 2nd premium account for my daughter. I'd like to switch to a +1 family account to save a few bucks. 

Before closing my daughter's dedicated account, will she/I be able to automatically migrate all her playlists, etc over to the family account?

thanks,

Chris

43 Replies

Hi @N1cola. She should no longer need to cancel her account. Instead the time will just be added onto the subscription. 

I have just added my son to my family account, sending a link to one of his 2 email adresses. If I chose the wrong one (let´s say he subscribed with his other email adress), will Spotify still be able to transfer his existing premium account into our family account? And does he still have to terminate his existing premium contract?

I am a current subscriber and want to migrate to my sons family account.  Will my play lists be saved if I cancel my subscription and how long will I have to wait to burn off the free days until I am able to join under his account?

No, she doesn't need to cancel her premium account. It says in the Premium for Family FAQ: "When you accept the invite, you're added to Premium for Family straight away. You won't be charged for your account any further - your payments are handled by the plan owner." She will only have to cancel her premium subscription if it is handled by a third party, e.g. iTunes or your cell phone service provider. Spotify simplifies the process for those who accept invitations into family plans by basically just transferring the account from premium to your family plan. She should be able to see on her account that her current subscription is within your plan and that she isn't being charged anymore.

Please explain path forward how to do that. My daughter and I have premium accounts. How can I send invite to her if i have "regular" premium?

Do family members joining my Family Account get a credit for their existing premium membership?

Thank you.   Will you clarify please?   I had a premium account and upgraded to the Family Plan.   My Son also had a premium account and I sent him an invitation which he accepted.

Since he is now on my Family Plan, does this mean that the billing for his Premium account will now automatically stop or do I have to take some action to make that happen?

Thanks.

Hi
I already paid out premium in one time for entire year, and I also upgraded my account as Spotify family. how will I be charged after upgraded to Spotify family? Will Spotify still charge me 14.99 per month? If so, what about the money I have already paid for my original premium account?

I am adding 2 people that already have a premium account and they are getting an error message that they subscirbed to spotify from another store.  My question is, if they cancel their subsciptions will all of their playlists still exist once they join the family account?

I have a family account and my partner, mother, mother-in-law and brother-in-law all use it aswell no issues. I invited my sister last week and she accepted the invitation. However now all her playlists are gone, all her saved albums and song. Thousands of hours of music is gone. She is a DJ, so this is heartbreaking for her (as it would be for me too but I am not even reliant on Spotify in the same way!).

Spotify have replied to her message for help calling it a "glitch" and her music is unable to be recovered. That's it. Nothing further from them. It's disgusting that a business the size of Spotify simply lets a technical glitch be the end result and asnwer to something that is fully in their control to fix. Shame on you Spotify.

If you are a current Premium account holder and recieve an invite to a family account what action do you need to take with your payment.

Okay but it's not fully answered. If I buy a solo premium account and on the 10th day I want to switch to a family plan did I just donate $6.66 to Spotify or will that be adjusted on the upgrade payment?

Will my son lose anything if he drops out of premium in order to join the family plan?  He has a lot of playlists and music downloaded on his phone.

Thanks.

If he will not drop premium account nothing happen. my daughter did not lost anything. she's just accepting my invitation. I just ask he join family account just before she billed for next month - i think premium account bill strategy is "pay for incoming month" and not refundable, but i did not have a chanse to check it.

I just want to clarify that as of 10/30/16, all you have to do is:
(1) Upgrade whoever is paying to the family plan
(2) Send the link you'll receive to the people you want to invite

(3) They cancel their premium memberships (downgrading to the free version)

(4) As soon as premium renewal is deactivated they can *immediately* click on the link you sent them to add their account to the family plan and re-upgrade their account.

Nothing else is required. 5 minutes and one log in. It's beautiful.

In other words, there is no need to (or benefit in) waiting for the remaining days of your premium membership to expire (since you pay by the month) before you can join the family plan. Since the family plan is initiated by one member, their start date is now your start date, regardless of when you add your account to the family plan.

TLDR: There is no benefit to waiting til your premium membership expires to switch to the family account, and it means you'll never have your premium benefits run out midway through a road trip. It also means it's a single step, 3 minute process for each member to attach their account to the family account and your account changes not at all, except that you no longer get billed for it. That sucker who signed up for the family account does 🙂

Thanks. What happens to their downloaded playlists when they go down to
free before signing onto the family plan? My son has lots of playlists
downloaded.

--
*I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget
what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.*
*-Maya Angelou*

Hi @daserota,

Offline music is only available for Premium users, so he'll lose all those downloaded playlists if he reverts his account back to Free.

However, if he's signed up for Premium directly through Spotify (not through iTunes or mobile service provider), you can invite him to be part of your Premium for Family. His payment will be shouldered by the owner of the subscription, and he'll be able to keep his Premium, too!

I agree with everything just not #3. You DO NOT NEED to drop premium for join family plan, unless you want to loose all downloads and, possible, playlists (if they avalable only for premium). Simply accept invitation. Just accept it right before Spotify will bill you for next month - that's it.

Agreed. From the Family plan FAQ:

I'VE BEEN INVITED TO JOIN PREMIUM FOR FAMILY, BUT I'M ALREADY PREMIUM. WHAT HAPPENS TO MY BILLING?

When you accept the invite, you're added to Premium for Family straight away. You won't be charged for your account any further. Your future payments are handled by the Premium for Family administrator. Any Premium time you have remaining will resume if you leave Premium for Family.

Note: If you purchased your Premium subscription via a gift/e-card, you’ll lose any remaining Premium time when accepting an invite to Premium for Family.

From the spotify family FAQ:

I'VE BEEN INVITED TO JOIN PREMIUM FOR FAMILY, BUT I'M ALREADY PREMIUM. WHAT HAPPENS TO MY BILLING?

When you accept the invite, you're added to Premium for Family straight away. You won't be charged for your account any further. Your future payments are handled by the Premium for Family administrator. Any Premium time you have remaining will resume if you leave Premium for Family.

Note: If you purchased your Premium subscription via a gift/e-card, you’ll lose any remaining Premium time when accepting an invite to Premium for Family.

Suggested posts