Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

3,333 Offline Song Limit

Solved!

3,333 Offline Song Limit

I have a few question regarding the 3,333 offline synced song limit.  I did not find definite answers (or multiple conflicting answers) when reviewing the boards, but I apologize if I just missed it or did not understand it.

1)  Example: One song on say two playlists that are both "offline":  Does this count as one or two songs toward the 3,333 count?

2)  Example: One playlist with say one song on it synced on three different mobile devices with offline sync:  Does this count as one or three songs toward the 3,333 count?  Is the 3,333 count TOTAL for all devices with offline sync or 3,333 PER device with offline sync?

I understand that any one playlist can only be offline synced to a total of three devices at one time.  Thanks for any clarification and input.

74 Replies

This 3,333 song per 1 of 3 devices is quite lame. Now that MOG is gone, the one music app that gave you everything no longer exists. Unlimited downloads, small in size yet quality sounding (6,500 songs downloaded only occupying 8.7GB of space on my Iphone), with a radio feature allowing you to choose how artist radio works for any particular song or artist (you could toggle between only the artist, to only simliar artists, and anywhere inbetween), and Beats comes along and messes the whole thing up. And then I get to 3,333 songs on my iphone after 24 hours and I'm left with the realization that though you guys are the best of whats left, that's as good as I can say. Im sad. I miss MOG and it's still here till the end of the month. You guys should take a few moves from the greatsest music app that will be gone long before it's time. It's like the icomperable Billiard Joel said, 'Only the Good Die Young'. I'd download it on the app but that would make 3,334 songs. So I'll hum it to myself. And continue to use Spotify with it's limited capabilities. And this will be my final death cry for MOG. I shall never speak of it again so as not to miss it. Thanks for letting me tell yout te tale of the Might MOG. It will be missed. 

REMOVE THE 333,3 SONG LIMIT!

..but what happens if you "unmark as downloaded" a few playlists? Are the songs then physically removed from my extSDcard? Or will the whole thing about changing one's mind about which lists to have downloaded clutter up my sd? The reason for my asking is that every time Spotify can't find my offline music, and thus decides that it's time for me to spend a couple of days downloading all my offline content again, all the files are still physically there, in my sdcard, and so I first have to use an explorer to delete all the files, and THEN download everything again. 

What mobile device are you using?

@vh wrote:

..but what happens if you "unmark as downloaded" a few playlists? Are the songs then physically removed from my extSDcard? Or will the whole thing about changing one's mind about which lists to have downloaded clutter up my sd? The reason for my asking is that every time Spotify can't find my offline music, and thus decides that it's time for me to spend a couple of days downloading all my offline content again, all the files are still physically there, in my sdcard, and so I first have to use an explorer to delete all the files, and THEN download everything again. 

Normally when you mark a playlist to be undownloaded in Spotify it won't remove the content immediately (in case you marked it by accident) but it will eventually free up the space. There are however numerous reports of this not happening as it should. On android you can manually clear the cache from the settings menu, on other platforms the quickest way to free up the space is to re-install the app.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

On the app on my Mac when I select my starred playlist it tells me the number of songs in that playlist and the total time. The same if I select any individual album. What we really need is a song total at the top of every playlist and especially at the top of the 'songs' section of 'My Music' I have alll these tracks available offline on my iPhone and after finding out about the 3,333 limit this week I need to know exactly how many I'm syncing to that device. 

As a quick work around, in the desktop app on the Songs tab, press Ctrl/Cmd+a to highlight all tracks then click and drag them a little. You will get a small pop up showing how many tracks are selected.

Peter

Quite aware that this is the quintessential #firstworldproblem! Who the hell makes decisions about Spotify's UI? Gaping holes and missed opportunities abound. Seems they take a step forward and then two back... oh well, thanks for the handy hack!

@kcmartz wrote:

Still think this is a dumb limit, I will eventually reach it, and I might have to switch back to Play Music unless this limit can be lifted... Even though my mobile phone plan provides Spotify Premium for me.

Couldn't agree more. I've reached my limit and have a quite a few playlists that need downloading. 

Is there any chance of this getting changed to work the way that it should? Why do I only get 3,333 songs if I only have 1 device, I'm missing out on the other 6,667 songs I should be allowed to sync.

Hi there,

Currently you are allowed to use Spotify premium on 3 devices with a maximum of 10.000 tracks. 10.000/3 is 3.333 tracks per device.

In case that maximum will get increased, I think that the 3.333 limit will get automaticly increased.

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
Last.fm | Twitter

Backstage Intro - Meet Jordi!
What's it like to be in a Spotify Office?

Did I help? Please add a like!
Did I solve your issue? Please accept as the solution!

I get the math, I just think it's a bad implmentation. If a user has one device they don't get to sync the full 10,000, they only get a third of it.

Yes I know, some people will reach that amount. I personally don't, but for those who do it is kinda frustrated.

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
Last.fm | Twitter

Backstage Intro - Meet Jordi!
What's it like to be in a Spotify Office?

Did I help? Please add a like!
Did I solve your issue? Please accept as the solution!

Unfortunately this idea was marked as not implementable over on the ideas exchange:

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/3-333-Offline-Song-Limit/idi-p/836791

Peter

Not good enough in my opinion. We pay for a premium service, there should be no restrictions at all!

@Zaim - Local files should not count as far as I am aware.

Peter

I don't know if this (dumb)question has been asked somewhere (sorry if it has), is there somewhere on Spotify (accounts,etc..) that tells you how many cumulative songs you've downloaded? I know it lists how many under each playlist, but that would require me to, you know, add things and I'm not really that great at math(I break out in hives).

The reason I ask is that I want to know how close to my limit I'm getting (one playlist has 866 songs- yes, I know I'm hoarding songs)

Which leads me to another question: Do playlists have limits? (I really hope not...)

Thank You........

Whaaaaaaaat? Today Spotify for Android decided to delete all my songs I downloaded so I couldn't listen to music on my long trip home -.-
After I redownloaded them, Spotify said I have reached the maximum number of songs!? I only use 2 devices so I'd love to have at leas 5000 songs. I listen to so many different types of music depending on my mood and what I'm doing and I hate listening to the same music over and over again like in all those radio stations. Pleeeeeeease increase the limit!

And also it the App needs more than a minute to start (or until I actually can hear music). Your Windows Program is very good but please increase the limit and improve the performance on Android (Using Samsung Galaxy S4 with newest KitKat Version)

Hello: If you have two devices each device can have up to 3,333X2=6,666 with a max of up to three devices 3,333X3=9,999. And here is the kicker it can all be different tracks, does not have to be the same stuff. Some users when they get deals on android phones buy two, set one up for cell/internet use and use to offline spotify stuff, use another device just with the wifi only for offline spotify stuff, and then if they have a pc or mac with spotify offline stuff there too. 🙂 How long does it take to get through 9,999 tracks anyway? >:-)

Also some very long playlists on android can take a while to load, you might try breaking the playlist track numbers down in half if they are over 1,000 tracks for quicker loads. If you have 3200 tracks in one playlist try doing 4 smaller playlists of say 800 tracks, and see if there is a difference in loading times.

Suggested posts