2 Free / 1 Premium

Country

Canada

Device

Google Home Mini's

Operating System

Google

My Question or Issue

We have 3 google home minis (one in each bedroom) and 3 home members (Myself and 2 kids)  each with their own Spotify free account linked to their own Google Account.  Each member uses Google voice recognition to play their own Spotify accounts from any Google home mini.

After upgrading my account to premium, every member now has access to my premium account and it no longer uses voice recognition to determine individual Spotify accounts.

While this may seem good it has 2 side effects. First, my recommendations are now skewed because I’m getting all these suggestions based on my kids selections. Second, if one person is steaming Spotify on one google home mini and another member starts Spotify on a second it will stop it on the first.

Before, each member could listen to their own playlist on their own mini simultaneously.  So now only one person can listen to spotify on one device at any given time.

I have cancelled my Premium Subscription hoping it wil revert to how it behaved before once my monthly subscription expires.

Any idea how to fix this?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Try what I have written here. It seems that the link on the google side is broken. So relink the different google accounts in the google home app each again to the respective spotify accounts (delete connection to spotify, link again):

Solution

But I am not sure when mixing free and premium accounts, though.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

I spoke too soon. Relinking my kids spotify accounts do allow them to play their own playlists on their free Spotify Accounts. But if they request a specific song, it default to my premium account.

I guess the only way for me to not have them mess up my profile with their requests is to cancel my premium subscription.

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Hey @kasmca thanks for reaching out to the Spotify Community,

Being a google home user myself, I would first suggest you unlink your other two devices, due to the fact that it will continue to use your account (both google and Spotify), and seeing how there is no way to spilt the 3 accounts that google currently has. I would then suggest adding the two google home mini's to spereate google accounts, that way each member of your family can connect their own google and spotify account. 

After that you should be good to go, let me know if you need clarification.

Happy Listening,

Jack

Do you mean to remove the Google Home mini's permenantly from our Google Home Group?  I want each member to be able to play their spotify music from any Google Home Mini in the house, not just a 1:1 mapping.  Therefore each Google Home Mini needs to be part of the Google Home Group and not isolated.  It used to work like this before I upgraded my account to Premium.

When each person ask google home mini "OK Google, Who am I?" It can still identify each individual correctly.  Also in each of their google home accounts, under google assistant servies within their music, they have their own spotify free account set to their default music provider.  However whenever they ask Google Home Mini to play music, it uses my Premium account.

Hey again,

I totlay get what your saying, but google allows you to only select one music provider on one account per group. There is really not muxh you can do but issolate them 1:1 as you said.

Sorry again,
Jack

This is not true. Prior to me upgrading to Premium, each individual had their own google home account and their own Spotify Free account linked to their google home account. Each member is invited to the Google Home Group.

Each member could ask on any google Home Mini to play music and based on voice recognition, Google would recognize who they are and play spotify from their individual spotify account. This way each member could simultaneously listen to their own music on whichever google home mini they were closest to.

Now because Google home is only using one Spotify Premium account and ignoring the free spotify account linked to my kids, only one person can listen to music on only one Google Home Mini at a time. If someone else asks another Google Home Mini to play music, it immediately stops playing on the first google home mini and start playing on the new one.

Once my Premium subscription expires, I'm hoping it will revert back, since there appears to be no solution to get this working with Spotify Premium, only if everyone is on the free version.

I did try to remove all members from the google home group and reinvite them. Also verifying that each invitee sets their default music provided to their own free Spotify account, but once they accepted the invite, again it went back to using my single Spotify Premium account when they try to play music.

Marked as solution

Try what I have written here. It seems that the link on the google side is broken. So relink the different google accounts in the google home app each again to the respective spotify accounts (delete connection to spotify, link again):

Solution

But I am not sure when mixing free and premium accounts, though.

Thanks so much!  I tried this and it seems to be working.

I had each of my kids, unlink their spotify account from their google home account, and relink it, then set it as their default music service.  Then I had them have google relearn their voice match.

To test, I had them ask google home mini "Who am I?"  It recognized them.  Then I had them have ask google home mini "Play music" and it played from their own free spotify account without accessing my premium account.

Now if only I can get spotify to unlearn all of their past requests from my premium account, so I don't always get Taylor Swift when ask Google to play music for me.  😞

Thanks again!

Glad to hear! 🙂

Marked as solution

I spoke too soon. Relinking my kids spotify accounts do allow them to play their own playlists on their free Spotify Accounts. But if they request a specific song, it default to my premium account.

I guess the only way for me to not have them mess up my profile with their requests is to cancel my premium subscription.

I am sorry to hear that. But I am pretty sure that this is a limitation of spotifies product stack (see picture). The free version simply does not support picking specific titles for playback. And I see no possibility to switch the premium fallback on or off. So the solution simply costs money in this case. Maybe cutting the kids pocket money for adding this kind of value added services to their daily lives is the first step in introducing capitalism to their innocent lives. 😉

Good luck with that!

Screenshot_1.png

Hey @kasmca 

If you want you can buy Premium for Family which will allow your kids to have premium on seperate accounts up to 5 accounts for 14.99 a month USD. That might work.

Jack 🙂

Suggested posts