Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

5 song limit on spotify free?

Solved!

5 song limit on spotify free?

Can somebody help me? I am a spotify free user.  Is it true spotify now limit the playing of a song up to 5x times before requiring payment? If so, does this mean if you listened to the same song a 6th time you would automatically be charged, or would you simply be unable to play it for a 6th time before upgrading?! After a long period of not using spotify free, i got an email from the company saying i now have a 10 hours a month free limit - but am unsure of this 5-song rule still applies?

Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey and welcome to the Community!

Yes, for now only the new Free account can be used for "Unlimited Free" streaming. After 6 months user can listen 10 hours per month and 2,5 hours per week and no more than 5 times per track.

Then user need a new free account for "Unlimited Free" or Unlimited/Premium service.

Unlimited Free: The new account without any limitations for first 6 months.

So if you need free music, just create a "Fake Facebook Account" and register for Spotify Free. Do this twice in year and you can listen Free music 24/7! But if you like music or Spotify, why not to subscribe to Spotify Unlimited or Premium. 🙂

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey and welcome to the Community!

Yes, for now only the new Free account can be used for "Unlimited Free" streaming. After 6 months user can listen 10 hours per month and 2,5 hours per week and no more than 5 times per track.

Then user need a new free account for "Unlimited Free" or Unlimited/Premium service.

Unlimited Free: The new account without any limitations for first 6 months.

So if you need free music, just create a "Fake Facebook Account" and register for Spotify Free. Do this twice in year and you can listen Free music 24/7! But if you like music or Spotify, why not to subscribe to Spotify Unlimited or Premium. 🙂

Yes, you have a limit of 5 plays per track. You can see the number of plays remaining when you right click a track.

You will not automatically get charged if you try to play something for the 6th time, you will simply be unable to play the track. You need to subscribe to Unlimited or Premium manually before you can play a track more than 5 times.

Hi , i know about the 5 song limit . but there are songs i have have been able to listen more than 5 times ...

And the songs that i right click on to see how many plays are left on ,say ''5 '' when i know i have listened to them many times

i am puzzled ... can you tell me what's going on with that?

Are you in the UK or France? Only these countries have a 5 play limit.

Yes i live in the UK , but the thing is i have listen to '' one more night '' by maroon 5 many many times yet it still says i have 5 plays left . That's what i don't get. 

That sounds like a bug. Hope it never goes away.

Enjoy your free listening!

This can happen because you have 5 plays of each copy of a track that is available to you. If that Maroon 5 track is available in single form, album form and then on some compilation albums then you can get many more than 5 plays, but you will run out eventually.

Hopfully the record labels in UK and France will see the error of their ways and abandon this stupid idea like the labels in all other regions already have.

It's also possible that you might have that track as a "local file" (MP3) on your computer. This would allow you to play that version of the track (rather than the one on Spotify) indefinitely. I haven't tried it myself, but it's possible that in this case, it would just say that you have 5 plays no matter how many times you play it. I'll investigate further.
Airhorn Enthusiast

Suggested posts