Casual Listener

Plan

Premium

Country

India

Device

Android/Desktop

My Question or Issue

I was awaiting Spotify's arrival to India with bated breath and immediately signed up for the trial when the option was up. But my glee slowly faded when I saw how much of my favourite music isn't available at all. I understand that Spotify is having licensing issues but I didn't think it would be this severe.

I could have lived without stuff that wasn't released in India at all, but a majority of the music that's missing is readily available on other streaming services like Apple Music.

I was so ready to cancel all my other subscriptions and switch to Spotify for good, but I don't know if I want to now. If this isn't sorted out by the end of my trial, I will not be renewing my subscription with Spotify.

I really hope that won't be necessary. I'm a big fan.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Solution!

Peter

Hey folks,

Thanks for inquiring into this matter.

We're happy to report that Spotify users in India can access music from Warner Music Group artists.

Happy listening!

PeterModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

View solution in original post

96 Replies

Gtm554
Visitor

for those who are using spotify for free change the country location to usa. am not sure if it would work for those who bought premium 

Therealsud
Regular

Hey mate, I live in India as well and would love to have access to songs not available here. Do u mind telling me what vpn u r using currently? Thanks 

dustinwhitelock
Music Fan

Hi, @Therealsud , what platform are you using?

Therealsud
Regular

I use it in multiple platforms, Apple, Android as well as windows. It

ColdFustion

Almost the same happened to me. I purchased it the next the day it got released in India. But unfortunately there wasn't many of my favorite artist songs (Lil Pump,Ed Sheeran,Charlie puth,clean bandit, Black,Calvin Harri,Gucci Mane,David Guetta,Ty Dolla $ign,Anne Marie,Bhad Babie,clean bandid,lol di**y, Lil Uzi vert and so many). And now I regret buying 1 year Spotify premium 😞

isaumyam
Composer

Hi, 

I can completely understand your problem and anger. I've already explained this issue greatly in another thread which you can read here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/Why-am-I-unable-to-listen-to-some-albums-when-I-m-in-India/...

Mantisentil
Community Legend

Hey @Atharva_K!

Spotify would love to have all the world’s music available to everyone. However, some artists and tracks aren't currently available.

I'd recommend reading this article for more info.

Hope this helps!

shpadaki
Visitor

Hello

I went through the article which was given.

But the question is totally different, we are not asking about the recent songs..for example none of Ed Sheeran's songs appear on Spotify.

I am speculating that this issue is exclusive to India alone.

Waiting for your reply.

Thanks.

hritikghatge007
Music Fan

Saregama And few others have removed their Music Library from Spotify India

dreamandgame105
Casual Listener
The astonishing fact is that I have another Spotify account which I use via
VPN to connect to Spotify Japan. Each and every music from Indian Music
labels like Saregama, Tips, T-Series is available to stream in Japan. I
don't know whats the deal in India.

hritikghatge007
Music Fan

Spotify in India need to get**bleep** right

dreamandgame105
Casual Listener
Yeah! There is ongoing dispute between Warner Music Group and Spotify India
over streaming rights. The case is in court but no updates have been known
till now about the case.

dreamandgame105
Casual Listener

Its been more than 3 months Spotify has released in  india but they haven't solved their dispute with warner music. Its pathetic. Atleast there is some to keep us updated on whats happenning!

Amitabh
Regular

@spotify people, at least give us some confirmation if the songs are gonna be available anytime soon. Like, practically none of even Ed Sheeran's songs are  available in India. Because I was excited about the release, I immediately bought the 1 year premium subscription, without knowing this issue existed since I never faced this issue with Google play music. Since the same songs were available in Google play as well as apple music, I know it's not an issue with the record label and India, bit rather the label and Spotify's india division.

Please either give a confirmation so that I can cancel the subscription or add the songs.

aneerban
so true!!!!!!!!! All Ed sheeran songs are missing! I mean it shows that ed sheeran is on top of top songs list but no ed sheeran songs! Not even the new ones! Like a song that was on spotify top charts isnt even available for listening in india! how is this possible? Pls add ed sheeran songs!

Atharva_K
Casual Listener

hey, amitabh try changing your country in your account settings it seemto have fixed the problem for me.

hritikghatge007
Music Fan

You can't change country when subscribed to premium , cancel your subscription first then change the country .

Amitabh
Regular

^Can't change country without cancelling subscription. 

Amitabh
Regular

Bearer of bad news here.

So I did some research about this situation and turns out Warner Music Company sued Spotify and banned them from using Warner's catalogue in India. I'd love to be proven wrong here, as i just paid for the whole year already. 

Guys, don't make the same mistake.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/26/18241345/spotify-india-launch-warner-music-legal-battle

Ps. @spotify just pay the royalties damnit!

Atharva_K
Casual Listener

I read somewhere that the court denied the claim, and spotify can continue to use their music. But it might not be true.

hritikghatge007
Music Fan

Court denied the injunction of Spotify , they still can't use their catalog

SUGGESTED POSTS