Access to Spotify account after deleting Facebook

Access to Spotify account after deleting Facebook

Plan

Premium

Country

Czech Republic

My Question or Issue

Hi!

In the wake of this year's privacy scandals, I'm seriously considering deleting my Facebook account and erasing all my data in accordance with EU's GDPR citizen rights, as I no longer trust the platform to handle my personal information. I'm however at a loss when it comes to services like Spotify, which I have signed up for years ago using my Facebook account. Will I lose access to my music even though I'm a regularly paying customer? Will deleting my Facebook be equivalent to also deleting my Spotify?

So far, I have managed to find this support article, which clearly states that it's not possible to maintain access to my account after deletion, and in order to keep my privacy protected, I have to go through a lengthy procedure, during which:

1. I won't be able to use my Spotify account to listen to the music I like.
  2. I will have to enter all my personal and payment information again.
  3. I will have to sign out and back in on all my devices.
  4. I may end up losing some parts of my music library permanently.

Quite frankly, this seems rather like a punishment than a solution to me. It's simply wrong that people who care about their privacy should have to go through so many hoops just in order to take a stand. And it's definitely unacceptable level of support when I'm a customer who is regularly paying you to have access to your service.

For this reason, I'd like to ask if there is a better way to remove Facebook completely from my Spotify account, and if not, urge you to create one. I have found some ideas (e.g. this or this), which have not received too much attention from your support team. I believe it's a good time to re-examine those.

In times when people's trust in corporate handling of their personal information is eroding, it's important for companies like Spotify to make clear whether they do or do not care about their users' privacy. Making a switch from compromised services like Facebook possible at all would go a long way in that direction. Furthermore, in my humble developer's opinion it's not that hard to implement.

Thank you for your response!

Best,
Petr

14 Replies

Im with you. You think spotify would come up with a solution to keep its current clientele considering facebook is on its way out the door

Hey @citrus007.

Thanks for getting in touch!

If you break the connection between your Facebook profile and Spotify account, you'll be able to request a Spotify password. Simply go to the password reset page and fill in the email address that was used to login to Facebook. You'll be able to create a password which you can use to log in. Your email address will be your username.

Hope this clarifies some things. Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day!

What password reset page? There is none inside the Spotify account details page????

"Simply go to the password reset page and fill in the email address that was used to login to Facebook"

Hey @PeeTeeDee.

Thanks for your question. Just head over to this Spotify Answer, which should have the answer you're looking for.

Hope that helps! Let us know if you have any other questions.

Hello,

I deleted my facebook account and reseted Spotify's password. but my username/name is a string now! which makes it harder for people to find me.

Is there a way to fix that?

Thanks...

Hey @Alileus.

Thanks for reaching out to us about this. We'll be happy to clarify.

As we look to improve the overall Spotify experience, we’re now automatically generating usernames, hence the random numbers and letters.

Since you've unlinked your Facebook account from your Spotify account, your username will appear as this alphanumeric string.

If you would like to make it easier for your friends to find your account on the Spotify app, you can always create a new account and set a display name at sign-up (this is the one which will appear in the app, and which your friends can use to search for you).

Don't worry, you can keep all your saved music and playlists, but you'll have to get in touch with our Customer Support team here in order for them to transfer everything over to your new account and then close the old one.

Hope that helps! If you have any to other questions, don't hesitate to reach out again.

Hey, thank you for the explination,

I did what you suggested but now I have the username with the random numbers and letters. How can I change that? 

Hi there, I'm trying to delete my account that is linked to facebook. However, I went through the support system and click on "close the account" and I arrive on a blank page in this URL https://support.spotify.com/sg-en/close-account/.

Kindly assist on how I can delete my account by providing me a link or a solution. Much appreciated.

Hey @user-removed.

Thanks for reaching out.

If you created a new account and chose a display name, then you might have to wait a few days for it to appear as your username in the app.

If in a week's time you notice it hasn't changed, could you send us a screenshot showing how it appears? We'll look into it.

@joanark - give this link a try. If it doesn't work, try opening it in an incognito window or in a different browser.

Thanks guys! We'll be looking out for your replies in case you have any other questions.

Hi Peter,

I still have the same issue. Using on chrome (incognito) and Safari, it
leads me to a blank page after I went through all the steps and clicked on
"Close my account".

Please advise.

Hey @joanark.

Thanks for letting us know.

Could you try the link from another device and let us know if it still happens?

We'll be right here 🙂

Thanks Peter. Works on my mobile phone. Cheers!

No worries @joanark - glad we could help.

Have a good one!

spotify:track:3wtV2ifnHzirkAElgTGh63

No worries @joanark - glad we could help.

Have a good one!

spotify:track:3wtV2ifnHzirkAElgTGh63

Suggested posts