Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Accessing itunes library without opt-out option or permission

Accessing itunes library without opt-out option or permission

I kindly ask that you delete my account immediately.

I didn't realize your software would automatically accessed my itunes library without asking my permission. There is no option to prevent this function. Very uncool, guys! I'm sure you now have my entire itunes library information saved on your servers. I did not give you, or your software permission to do that. If I did in your terms of service, you should at least be kind enough to notify users before they install and run your software in clear, obvious messaging. I felt this is an invasion of my privacy that could have been completely avoided if you would have plainly stated this would happen before download/install and given the user the option to prevent itunes access in the interface.Yes, in the preferences you can set it to not show your itunes library, but it still accesses it. Your Help section says your can delete the titles from the library list, but they keep coming back or won't delete at all in some cases. The software shouldn't have accessed my data in the first place.

I kindly request that I receive a confirmation email that my request has been carried out as quickly as possible. 

12 Replies

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂

You should be able to control what the spotify client has access to on your desktop client by controlling the sources in the preferences menu, in your case you can untick the itunes box if you wish. (Edit > Preferences on windows).

If you still wish to delete your account, you will need to follow the instructions on this topic.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Peter I tried that. But I can still see the titles in my library list. I tried to delete them and it won't allow that. I set the preferences like you suggested and even deleted the library cache and preference files. Once I restarted Spotify it started to reimport the data automatically, even after the perferences were set not to access the itunes library. Maybe you have a bug. All I know is you should let people know you will be accessing thier itunes library before the install/first run...not after.

Don't worry, none of your iTunes info is saved to our servers. It's simply imported into the programme (much like iTunes or Windows Media Player do), aimed at making all your music available alongside all the music in the Spotify catalogue. It then makes one mega-awesome music player with all your music in the same place.

If you don't want any local music appearing in your Spotify, just uncheck all the boxes under 'Local Files' in 'Preferences'. Then restart your Spotify.

-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

| Don't worry, none of your iTunes info is saved to our servers.

LOL.

I installed 0.8.5.1356.gd1d40f3a and it imported my iTunes playlists without my consent and started tailoring ads and music.

@unhappyspotuser I deleted each playlist manually, now I don't see iTunes tracks listed in Library or iTunes.

The interface is lousy at best and... ok, give me ads, but not awkwardly flashy distracting sell, sell, sell.

Disappointing...I think I'll ditch this POS and go back to grooveshark or search for better services.

@1-61803 wrote:

| Don't worry, none of your iTunes info is saved to our servers.

LOL.

I installed 0.8.5.1356.gd1d40f3a and it imported my iTunes playlists without my consent and started tailoring ads and music.

@@unhappyspotuser I deleted each playlist manually, now I don't see iTunes tracks listed in Library or iTunes.

The interface is lousy at best and... ok, give me ads, but not awkwardly flashy distracting sell, sell, sell.

Disappointing...I think I'll ditch this POS and go back to grooveshark or search for better services.

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

To my knowledge, Spotify does not use tailored ads, you get the same adverts as everyone else in your country normally. 

The adverts are there for a reason, not just to annoy you. Without those adverts, the free version of Spotify would not exist, and you can remove them at any time by purchasing a subscription 😉 

Peter

Peter

I get the ads reason. Read my post again.
Ads don't have to necessarily be annoying. Otherwise people try to block them or move to another service.

Regarding the Premium thing, yeah, Spotify imports a list of my local music without my consent, give me epilepsy causing ads while trying its service and want to con me in paying with a name to get a more definite profile of music tastes and whatnot...

I'll give Spotify a try for a day or two and then decide. But I'm already partial. Spotify has been facebook'ized.

I am having the same issue with my spotify. iTunes still shows up and I have private work information that cannot be made public. PLEASE HELP!!!! If this is the case I will delete my account immediately!!!!!

For the record, I am in preferences and the iTunes section is NOT checked, still it shows up. I absolutely cannot have this be public information, so if my iTunes are I need to know immediately so I can cancel my account. Quite a bummer, because I was actually enjoying it. 😞

Wow, that's amazing! In the small amount of time since I posted 2 messages I went from "newbie" status to "fan" status but still haven't gotten any help. Perhaps the spotify creators can put their energy to better use and focus on things like, oh, integrity? Crossing my fingers, still really anxious to get answers!

If all of your boxes are unticked in Edit > Preferences > Local files, and they are still showing just go to the "Local Files" tab press Ctrl+a to highlight all of the tracks, right click and select "Unlink" that should remove them from Spotify for you. 

Peter

Peter

I am mortified that Spotify has access to my itunes.  I have recordings and information that are confidential.  I'm outraged!  

You can remove your itunes library in spotify's preferences then restart spotify and the local files will no longer appear in spotify. Ony you could access those files anyway, so no need to panic.

Suggested posts