Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Account Issues- Desktop App

Account Issues- Desktop App

I am attempting to use my Desktop app but music is connecting to a device that I don't recognize. I log in with my FB info and I have updated that password and relogged in only to still experience the same issue. 

12 Replies

Welcome to the Spotify Community!

There are two things you can try to fix this issue. For both of them, first go to the Account page here on Spotify.

1) Scroll down and click on "Sign Out Everywhere," this will kick all devices off of your account, hopefully removing the un-recognized device.

2) Go to the "Apps" tab and remove unknown items from the list. These are all apps that you have (knowingly or against your will) allowed to access your Spotify account. My list currently includes around three different apps that I know and use.

If neither of these fixes your issue, please get back to me or respond to this topic and I can try to help further.

I tried the first suggestion and I'll try the second. One thing I've noticed is +Update. My Account e-mail seems to be continually changing....

So just to confirm, you've changed both your Facebook password and your Spotify account password? Both of them can be used to log in.

I've changed the FB password but when I try to change the spotify password with the link above it says the password is incorrect(even though I can log in with it via the spotify desktop app)

Hmm... If it's not allowing you to change your password then somebody else might have changed it already. Since you usually use Facebook to log in then they wouldn't be able to stop that, but since they have your Spotify password they can log in with that even if they don't have your Facebook information. What you may have to do at this point is contact Spotify support directly and see if there is anything they can do to change your password.

Another question, do you have an email address linked to your account that you can access? That is where support will reply to you if you do contact them.

Edit: This is a duplicate post of my above reply.

The issue seems to have stopped but I'm still seeing a suspcious e-mail in my account details. I'll reach out to support. 

I just noticed this in your response: 

"Another question, do you have an email address linked to your account that you can access? That is where support will reply to you if you do contact them."

The e-mail has changed on my account to one that is not mine. What can I do to get assistance here? 

Interesting. Be sure to come back here after support addresses your problem and let me know if it is fixed. Best of luck!

Edit: Just saw your second post, editing with a response now.

I just noticed this in your response: 

"Another question, do you have an email address linked to your account that you can access? That is where support will reply to you if you do contact them."

The e-mail has changed on my account to one that is not mine. What can I do to get assistance here as my inquiry will go to an unkown email addy. 

To change your email, I found a short guide by Spotify that you can view here, but it seems like it won't work for you. Basically, they ask you to go to your Account page and change your email there, but that won't work if you don't know your password (it requires password confirmation to change the email). However, if you originally created the account through Facebook, then you can change the email address by simply changing your Facebook settings. Other than these two options, I will have to do some more digging to see if you can change your email in a different way.

If neither of my options for changing your account email are working for you, what you can try to do is contact support anyways and clearly explain the issue and provide them with the email you can access and would like to change your account to in the message, and hope that support contacts you through that email instead of the one you can't access.

Suggested posts