Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Account being controlled by another device using Spotify Connect.

Account being controlled by another device using Spotify Connect.

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

iPhone XR

Operating System

iOS 13.3

My Question or Issue

For a couple of weeks now, someone has been controlling my Premium Spotify account through Spotify Connect. Initially, I hadn't noticed anything was wrong. The only odd thing I saw was that some random playlists that I know I had never listened to kept popping up on my recently played. I had originally assumed that it was just a problem with Spotify, and that it would be fixed soon. The problem continued to happen over the next 9 or 10 days, but again, I assumed that it was just a minor error in the system or something of the sort. Then I began to notice that a couple of songs  related to relaxation/sleep were popping up in my liked songs (I don't like songs, I just add them to a cumulative playlist). I then realized that "I" had apparently created 2 playlists with the same type of songs as I had noticed before, but I knew that I had not created any playlists recently. I deleted/removed the playlists and the songs, but they consistently continued to reappear a day or so later. Then, a couple of days ago, my music was cut off randomly while I was listening to Spotify on my phone through Bluetooth. I checked my phone, and I saw that instead of my music, the random music that had been mysteriously popping up was being played under a device named "Jamie's iPhone" through Spotify Connect. I tapped back to my music, but they kept forcibly going back to their own music. I raised their volume to the max, and they turned it back down. I tried to remove the device, but it did not appear to be removed until I checked back the next morning. I then went to the website and removed all foreign devices and signed out of all devices, hoping that it was enough to get rid of the person. As of now, the person has not popped up again, added playlists, or liked any songs, but every day my music will cut off in the middle of the night while I am sleeping- So that when I wake up in the morning, it says that the other person's music is my most recently played music, which has been happening the entire time I have been experiencing problems. So, it's safe to assume that I haven't gotten rid of them, but they're possibly laying low because they know that I've caught on.

Apologies for the long description; I would prefer to go into too much detail rather than not include enough detail for a conclusion to be made. How do I completely get rid of them, if there is even a way? 

3 Replies

Hey @Mavuu, thanks for reaching out to the Community!

I'm sorry to hear this. 

I'd recommend checking out this support article for the next steps to take.

Have a nice day. 

Billy-JSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I have heard of things happening like this. My suggestion is to sadly disable and delete the account including the premium. Someone else has most likely gained access to your account and is leaching off you paying. I would create a new account and start again on that one. Sorry to hear about this. 

Hey there @Wsoehler18,

Thanks for sharing this here in the Community!

If you're experiencing something similar to what @Mavuu mentioned above, the best way to go about this is following all the steps (including reaching out to us) mentioned in the support article @Billy-J mentioned above. This way, our support teams can take a look backstage for you. 

Hope this is helpful but don't hesitate to give us a shout if there's anything else!

Have a lovely day 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

Suggested posts