Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Account hacked, subscription changed to Family (solved)

Account hacked, subscription changed to Family (solved)

Just opened my Mac desktop app, and noticed that I was supposedly listening on another device, the name of which is unfamiliar to me.

I checked my song history, and it seems like I've been listening to a lot of music recently that I would never listen to.

I logged into my account in a browser, and from my receipts I can see that my subscription was changed to "Family" two days ago, and that three invites have been sent out (can't see to which adresses, and they're all still pending).

I have now changed my password, and have forced all devices to log out.

I need help cancelling the Family subscription, which I did not sign up for, reverting my account back to Premium, and refunding the difference between the two account types.

I'm guessing that the "hacker" must have had access to my password, as I can't imagine that someone would be able to change my subscription type without it - correct? If not, I suggest that verification is required if changes are made to payment/subscription related issues (don't know if it's possible for a hacker to somehow hijack my session without the password).

I've checked my email, and have received zero notifications that my subscription type was altered.

Ideally, I would like confirmation that Spotify will try and figure out who/where the perpetrator is, as this must be bordering on credit card fraud, but I'm not sure if this is too much to ask. At the very least, I would think the email addresses in question (the ones that were invited) are blacklisted.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Ps.: It seems extremely odd that I can't create a private support ticket, and have to go through a community forum to report this - am I missing something? Some sort of support page that I haven't found?

EDIT: Through another thread regarding contacting Spotify, I have now found the Contact Customer Support Form. This was hidden under "About" in the footer links, and is not mentioned once on the Contact Spotify page (also linked in the footer). I get that many people can have their issues solved by the community, and thusly saving Spotify time and money, but couldn't there at least be a little more transparency about the options??

EDIT 2: Issue has been resolved throught the Support Form. Account was hacked, but everything has been fixed now. Spotify wouldn't tell me anything about the hijacker, but assured me they were on top of it all.

4 Replies

a

this is exactly what has happened to me

1) I receive denials because using 'too many devices" ( I have 3)

2) my profile pic is not mine any more 

3) Korean and Italian individuals are on my account.. and sub changed to Family ( althou not billed for that yet) 

4) all my music/ saved artists/ 'discover weekly" are loaded with stuff i would never listen to

5) I tried to get rid of FB as login as presume it was hacked via FB as my profile pic has changed 2 or 3 times!!!!!

6 ) really Pissed off that I can't get through to SPOTIFY HELP 

Note: I also changed password and logged out of all devices.. but I could not log back in using email and password VERY cumbersome .. reluctant to give up sub as I enjoy Spotify but this is ridiculous .. will change to apple music unless solved by SPOTIFY

This happened to me. I was going through my bank account and saw my spotify charge had doubled. I logged to spotify and saw the family account with 5 or 6 funky users in there i didn't add myself. Strange stuff. I deleted them all and changed my passwords and forced a log off of all devices. Hopefully this doesn't happen again. 

Suggested posts