Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Account was changed to number instead of name

Account was changed to number instead of name

Hi,

A few weeks ago my account all of a sudden shows a number instead of my name while it is still linked to my facebook account. Friends of mine tried to find my account but couldn't find it where they could before.

Did I perhaps do something wrong in my settings?

Hope you can help, thanks.

9 Replies

I've also had this problem! It happened about 2 weeks ago where my username (my name) was switched to random numbers and my profile picture disappeared. My account is and always has been associated with my facebook, so I don't understand what changed.

Hey @Corinne9 and @Kras

Could you login on the website and go to Privacy Settings? Check if you have opted out of Spotify processing your Facebook data. When you opt out there, it keeps your account usable but it will stop using a lot of data, for example your name. You can read here what information exactly.

Hope that helps! Let us know if you have further questions.

I have followed your instructions under privacy page and turned facebook processing back on but it has not restored my original name that I signed up with. My profile is still a bunch of numbers. Please help. Thank you 

I think I did that before, but changed it back already because I figured that could have been the problem. It still only shows a number.

I did opt out to tailored ads, but I don't think that should cause any problems?

Thanks,

Lisette

Hey @Kras and @ericarussell,

Thanks for getting back in touch with this.

Just to confirm, is the Facebook profile linked with your Spotify account still active?

Keep in mind if you've deactivated your Facebook profile, it would explain why you're seeing your numerical username instead of your Facebook name.

Also, we'd suggest heading to your Facebook settings and make sure you have granted Spotify access to your personal data.

On another note, if that doesn't help, could you let us know if this only occurs in a certain device? 

If it does occur in a certain device, make sure to perform a clean reinstall of the app, including clearing the cached memory of the app.

Let us know how that goes 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

I've done all of the above - checked in the spotify privacy settings and on facebook. I just updated everything, so maybe it takes a little bit. However, I unistalled spotify on my laptop, work computer, and phone and redownloaded on all devices. My username is still just a bunch of numbers and not my actual name. Any help is appreciated. Thanks! 

Hey @Corinne9@Kras and @ericarussell,

Thanks for getting back to us.

If the instructions don't help, you'll have to create a new account. No worries, if you make sure your music collection is stored in public playlists, you can visit your old account with your new account and grab all your songs from there. You can visit your old account by putting the following string in the search bar:  spotify:user:username

Don't forget to replace username with your own username (the letter/digit combination). Oh and by the way, If you want to use the same email address for your new account, you'll have to close your old account. You'll have 7 days to visit your old account and find your music there. Don't forget to cancel a subscription if you have one.

We hope you'd like to try this! It's a lot quicker than it might seem. Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day.

I have absolutely the same problem and by creating the new profile is not proper solution for me so how do you want to help with this?  

edit: all right i was now able to follow friends from FB which was not possible a day before but my name is still in numbers and profile picture is out of order

if one were to create a new account, music would still be saved and all sure..but you would lose all your followers no? also, the timestamps on when a certain song was added to a certain playlist

Suggested posts