Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Activating Private Session On Amazon Echo

Activating Private Session On Amazon Echo

Hey guys. My GF is listening to her music via our Amazon Echo and does so over my Spotify account. The problem is that I haven't found a way yet to turn on PRIVATE SESSION on the Amazon Echo so her music (which has NOTHING in common with my music) is kinda ruining my recommendations and weekly playlists.

Is there a way to activate private session on Amazon Echo. If I switch it on on the Laptop or my iPhone it won't help 'cause it would only concern music I'm listening to on that very device..

Thx for your help guys!

4 Replies

Update: This work-around didn't succeed...at all. While the test went just as I described, turning the Private Session on before sleeping and attempting to have it left on all the time Alexa played music did not. I don't know when the Private Session ended, but the desktop client is no longer showing the tiny lock on the profile nor checked as active under File. I will have to switch to Amazon tunes as the sole source of ambient noise. *grumble* Spotify, please, a little help...

I'm also regretting that my sleeping soundtrack has ruined my recommended new music. My most recent Discover Weekly isn't the terrific quirky music that felt so attuned to my tastes as to be uncanny. Instead, it's turned into the new age and nature sounding droney stuff chosen specifically to be unexciting and sleep-inducing.

However, I just tested something that *might* help. On my desktop PC, with the stand-alone Spotify client (not browser) where I normally listen to the "good stuff," I set the session to private. Then I went to the bedroom and asked Alexa to start the sleepy playlist, came back to the PC and checked--it was still showing the little lock on my profile and was apparently playing on the Echo while in private mode. That might not be how it's supposed to work, but appears to be what, in fact, happens.

I will continue to set it to private before going to bed (a bit of fuss to have to remember to do that) and hope that after a few weeks my Discover Weekly will recover to its former delightful new music and not the snooze-ic my sleep-aid playlist changed it into.

There really needs to be a bit more user control over what comprises the Discover Weekly list. I thought by not "liking" the sleep playlist tunes, the recommendations wouldn't be based on what was played for hours at night. But, nope, the most recent list is a deluge of calm and instrumental music that's well outside my typical preferences.

Also, ideally, Alexa could understand a simple request to turn on "Private Session" but when she is unable to simply "Like" a song, I'm not expecting that functionality anytime soon, but better integration with Spotify would be wonderfully helpful.

Same problem here.
I usually listen to a sleep playlist on my Echo. This is playing 8 hours almost every day so it destroys my music recommendations. Makes Discover Weekly and Release Radar worthless.

Maybe, as a quick workaround to the Spotify devs until Amazon Echo supports "Private Session":
Make specific playlists opt out of *liking* them or "always private on". This way I could just enable on specific sleep playlists that they should not affect my usual music taste.

This really needs to happen, I have a white noise playlist that I use through my Echo and it tampers with my recommendations as a result.

Or if Spotify could just blacklist certain keywords in song titles from affecting recommendations., anything that says "brown/white/pink noise" for example, that would also fix this issue.

Hey folks,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community.

We appreciate the time you've taken to share your idea! We recommend looking for similar ideas in the Ideas Exchange board so you can vote for them, or add your own idea so others can then vote for it and add to the conversation to show their support.

You can find the steps to submit a new idea in this Spotify Answer. You can also read more about how feedback on ideas reaches Spotify here.

We hope this helps. If you have any questions, we're always a post away.

Cheers!

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Suggested posts