Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Add people/friends without Facebook accounts

Solved!

Add people/friends without Facebook accounts

Hi all!

I have a problem adding my mom as a friend on Spotify since she haven't got Facebook. I can follow her, but I can't add her as a friend to be able to see her activity and send her new music suggestions. Am I the one who is making a misstake or could it be her settings that is wrong?

I have read one previous thread on the subject, but that one is old and the 'Add'-button they are mentioning seems to have dissapeared?

Thanks!

DizzyTiny

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi, welcome to the community!

If you follow a user, you're able to see his activity (which appears on the right side column). Does your mother also follows you? If so, you'll also be able to send her music suggestions right clicking on a song and then 'share' and then 'send to'

Hope it helps!
BittencourtSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Hi @DizzyTiny, I recently had this same problem where I wanted to share music with a friend who was not connected to facebook.  The first step was to make sure that both myself and my friend followed each other.  In order to find your non-facebook friend in spotify you have to type the following in the spotify search box:

spotify:user:<insert user name here>

that should find your friend and then you can follow them.  Once you both follow each other, you can right click on the song that you want to share and select the Share menu item.  When the share dialog comes up, select the "Send To" button.  in there, you can type in your friends user name and it will share the song with JUST them.

If this works for you, please mark this as Accepted Solution so others can benefit from this.  I hope it does what you need.  If not, let us know and we will continue to work with you.

Follow Me
DJ Mikey
Strangeways Radio
Owner / Program Director

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Marked as solution

Hi, welcome to the community!

If you follow a user, you're able to see his activity (which appears on the right side column). Does your mother also follows you? If so, you'll also be able to send her music suggestions right clicking on a song and then 'share' and then 'send to'

Hope it helps!
BittencourtSpotify Star

Thanks Bittencourt!

I see how you mean, and that is one solution, but when I do that, I will share the song with everyone who follows me, right? I think it is easier to send a song as a message if it is meant for a specific person, mostly because of the notification. If I just share the song, it just pops up in my followers Activity-feed?

Is there a way to add her as a friend and then send her a message? Otherwise I will use your tip Bittencourt. 🙂

No no, when you click 'share' on a track the next step shows you two options - "post to followers, or "send to..." -- this way you'll send her by message.

Look it up!
BittencourtSpotify Star
Marked as solution

Hi @DizzyTiny, I recently had this same problem where I wanted to share music with a friend who was not connected to facebook.  The first step was to make sure that both myself and my friend followed each other.  In order to find your non-facebook friend in spotify you have to type the following in the spotify search box:

spotify:user:<insert user name here>

that should find your friend and then you can follow them.  Once you both follow each other, you can right click on the song that you want to share and select the Share menu item.  When the share dialog comes up, select the "Send To" button.  in there, you can type in your friends user name and it will share the song with JUST them.

If this works for you, please mark this as Accepted Solution so others can benefit from this.  I hope it does what you need.  If not, let us know and we will continue to work with you.

Follow Me
DJ Mikey
Strangeways Radio
Owner / Program Director

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

Hi,

Ok, well then I have to make sure that she follows me too. I think that might be the reason for my trouble. I will check that right away!

It worked! 🙂

Thanks a lot Bittencourt and Mikey! 🙂

You're welcome!
BittencourtSpotify Star

Hello!!

I have the same issue with my sister, we follow each other but we cannot send messages to each other...

When i select send to... y put her user but says not found results.

Can you help me??

Hi @larix_akasha,

How you find people is different depending on whether the person you are trying to find created their account using Facebook or if they have a dedicated Spotify username and password.

If they created their account and have a dedicated username and password, then you are using the correct search to find them.

If they created their account using Facebook, then their username will be a string of 10-digits which you need to search for using the same method as above. This information will be on their online profile

BittencourtSpotify Star

This friend and follow system from Spotify is ridiculous. I'm not on Facebook anymore and have no intention of going back, and should be able to invite, add and remove friends and followers as I want to. You are supposed to be a standalone program not a FB lapdog.

I have someone following me that I cannot remove, no ability to choose how I share or distribute a collaborative playlist (meaning this person would receive my playlist to "followers"), nor any ability to invite people to collaborate in spotify via EMAIL.

Sort it out Spotify - some of your application features just downright SUCK. Not everyone wants their life intertwined with the data mining app Facebook, or or be forced to follow whoever is paying for presence in Spotify.

Suggested posts