Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Address suggested by Google is incorrect

Address suggested by Google is incorrect

Plan

Account: Premium

Device

variuous

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I have a Spotify Family account. I want to add a family member to my account (my wife). I am next prompted to enter my address, which I have done. However, when I push the "confirm" button an address is shown that is similar but it is not my address (verification done by Mr. Google, who thinks is almighty ..).  I know that "other similar" address does exist, so the suggested address is real but it is not mine. Google for some reason has not registered my street. I have the choice between accepting the suggested address (in that case there is a risk that accounts of 2 families are being mixed up); or not being able to use my account properly and add my family members as I wish and pay for. No manual correction option is offered by Spotify, I guess because they rely 100% on Google. My address can be verified at the local municipality, which I would assume is more correct and official than Google. What do I need to do here ? 

4 Replies

I don't have a solution for you, but I might be able to offer some ideas...

As a starting point, I'm kind of curious. Do you have a desktop or laptop PC? (Or a Mac?)

If you are logged out of Spotify, and also logged out of Google... and you go to maps.google.com

and type in your address

what happens? Does Google recognize it as a valid address? Or does it automatically correct it to the other address? Or something else?

Yes, indeed, if I type in my address in Google maps it does show the other address. Google does not recognize my address as a valid address. 

By the way, I have a desktop PC. 

Okay, well here's what I recommend:

First off, I don't work for Spotify, and I'm not a lawyer. But that won't stop me from expressing my opinion LOL

The Google database that is used by Spotify is clearly incomplete and inaccurate. For right now, I think you can safely sign up your family by using the address provided by Google. You have no way to provide your correct address, because Spotify is using a third-party data source that is inaccurate. You are not intentionally providing inaccurate data.

I don't think it's going to trigger all kinds of problems with Spotify. Multiple families can live at the same address--even in a single family home with no apartment numbers. Think of two single women who are roomates, and each one has a teenage child, and they live in a four-bedroom house. That's two families at a single address.

I know that's not your situation. But my point is that I don't think you will cause major problems by choosing an address in Google that might theoretically be another Spotify user. It's just not an issue. They want you to verify that you and and the subscribers to your family plan live at the same address. If someone else lives at that address who is NOT on your plan, so what?

My next recommendation is to click the link on Google that says "Report a problem," and inform Google that their database does not have your address.

Good luck.

OK, I will try this workaround. Thanks for the advice. 

On the mid term I think Spotify should solve this issue, as this is not very customer-oriented. 

Suggested posts