Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Album with 51 tracks - now what?

Album with 51 tracks - now what?

Hi all - something of a Spotify virgin here so I thought I'd try to download my first album ("The Rainbow Sessions" by Ketil Bjornstad if anyone's interested - it's astonishingly beautiful piano "classical meets jazz", but impossible to find as a CD).

Anyways, first problem is that there seems to be no "Download the album" option. Is that right - is it really only possible to order each track individually?

Second thing, as luck would have it there are 51 tracks on the album (it's a triple CD set) so it seems that I'd have to buy 100 tracks and throw away 49 of them if I want the whole thing. Is that right too?

Third thing: even buying 50 tracks costs over £30, whereas the itunes and Amazon options are around the £13 mark. Presumably buying 100 Spotify downloads would costs even more. What gives? Is Spotify just very uncompetitive in its pricing, or is there meant to be an advantage to paying so much more - downloading at 320bps for better quality for example?

The album merits audiophile quality so it might be worth paying more, but is that what's bumping the price so much?

Thanks all.

7 Replies

Anyone?

Its very unusual that there is no option to buy the whole album however, as far as I'm aware the Spotify system works on purchasing songs not albums. So I don't think you would recieve a discount for the album, although I'm not really sure!

I would suggest you just buy it on amazon, its cheaper either way and then just import it into your spotify! 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Hey folks!

There is no option to buy album with discount. As hammeh said, you can buy from Spotify just tracks, not full albums as price like 9,99 € / album.

"The Rainbow Sessions" by Ketil Bjornstad if anyone's interested

Thanks. It's playing now. Let's see if it helps bring some clarity.

(In case anyone is confused, the Download store isn't available in every market at present.)

The system used by the Spotify Download store is different, and a little experimental. In some other models, you might buy individual tracks for varying prices, and you might get a per-track discount for buying an album at once. With Spotify, all tracks "cost" one "download". You could look at a downloads as a form of temporary credit, or that you have bought a certain number of tracks, but haven't decided which actual tracks you are going to download yet.

However, the price per-download gets lower the more you buy at one time. In this way, the model is there to discount prices for frequent buyers of music.

Second thing, as luck would have it there are 51 tracks on the album (it's a triple CD set) so it seems that I'd have to buy 100 tracks and throw away 49 of them if I want the whole thing. Is that right too?

No. You can use them too. You buy a bundle of downloads. The downloads left over after downloading tracks can be used later. You have 30 days in which to use downloads from a bundle. If you buy another bundle, the lifetime of all the downloads gets extended (up to a max of 90 days).

Good value ?

There are any number of buying patterns. Here are two. You can make the evaluation for each.

• You want to buy an album consisting of 50 tracks
  • You want to buy 50 individual tracks
     (Choosing some now, and putting off your choice of the others over the next few weeks)

I should point you in the direction of Jan Johansson, if you haven't already arrived there.

Hi all - just a quick "thank you" for your replies so far. I'll mull them over and will come back with any supplementary questions.

I guess the outstanding issue remains quality. itunes, Amazon etc are not really in the audiophiile sector so low bps downloads are presumably fine for most of their customers. Some music though merits lossless (or close to) data transfer, so the 320bps Spotify offer is more attractive from that standpoint than the (much) cheaper alternatives.

Does anyone have experience of the quality difference between the two? Does compression even at 320bps materially degrade sound qulaity over the CD or a FLAC file, and even if it does is paying triple the pirce of the alternatives worth it in your experience(s)? Does anyone else do high quality downloads?

PS - Jude, no I don't know Jan Johannsson (though Kevin Johannssen's "City Zen" is good!) but I'll check him out. Thanks! : - )  

Having a quick look, it appears the Spotify download is 320kbps and the amazon one would be 256kbps. 

To be brutally honest, I can never really tell the difference between mp3 quality bitrates, however, if you have a good sound system you will hear a difference between mp3 and FLAC. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Hi Peter - thanks for the reply. 

I guess it's not just the high end hi-fi issue, but also the recording itself that matters. The album I'm after is noted for the beautiful acoustics of the instrument and of the studio it was recorded in, and it would be a shame to lose that for the sake of a few £ difference between the Spotify and eg the Amazon price. On the other hand for some reason Spotify is some three times the price of its competitors, so it's a tough call. Would be great to download both and to compare them, but as there's no returns option it's just down to luck I suppose.

Does anyone else have experience of 256bps vs 320bps download quality, or maybe know of any other legit download sites with high end download quality please?

Incidentally I'm desperate too to buy the CD set - have tried everywhere, including direct with Oslo jazz shops. If anyone happens to know where I can lay my hands on "The Rainbow Sessions" by Ketil Bjornstad (the 3-CD set, not the 1-CD highlights version) I'll be ridiculously grateful.

Thanks all. 

Suggested posts