Premium

Country

USA

Device

(iPhone 11 Pro Max)

Operating System

(iOS 13.6.1)

My Question or Issue

I'm unable to get Alexa to respond to simple verbal commands with a paired set of Echo Plus speakers. I can control the music (selection of room, play, pause, etc) but Alexa won't respond to "Pause", "Stop" or "Next". When I unpair each speaker those commands work properly with the speaker individually. The issue is only when I have the speakers paired.

I've called Amazon and the person I spoke with seems to have no idea why this would be happening. 

Has anyone else experienced this? I've tried powering everything off, unpairing the speakers, and re-pairing them. I've tried setting up the speakers in different ways (Multi-Room Audio, Speaker Set) and also disabling and re-enabling the Spotify Skill and nothing seems to work. 

Thanks in advance for any help out there...

3 Replies

Same exact issue here, and same response from Amazon. They had me test other music services like Amazon Music, but that worked just fine (obviously it would, it's their own service), so they basically just said it's a problem with Spotify and told me there's nothing they can do.

I've just been waiting to see if it started happening to other people and yours is the first post I've come across.

Hey there @bhersh03 and @T24G,

Thank you for reaching out about this on the Community! No worries - we're here to help.

If you haven't already, we'd recommend you unplug and restart your Alexa devices first and reinstall the Alexa app before editing your groups again, to see if this fixes the issue

Also - it would be great if you could let us know the exact command that doesn't work for you and check if it was registered by the device in the Alexa app > More > Activity.

Keep us posted. We'll have an eye open for your reply 🙂

XeniaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Per Xenia's instructions, I deleted all speaker groups, restarted all Alexa devices, and downgraded, then re-updated my Alexa app (it is not able to be completely uninstalled from my LG G8 phone, only disabled and enabled). 

Afterwards, I recreated the speaker groups and proceeded to run the speakers through tests over the past 2 weeks, as I had previously gotten the commands to work for a few hours at a time only before trying your recommendation; the speakers always went back to not listening.

However, in these past 2 weeks, everything has been working flawlessly. "Pause," "stop," and "next" all obeyed as expected every time I tried them, no matter which speaker group was playing.

Xenia's suggestion seems to be the correct solution, so thank you!

Suggested posts