Premium

Country

Canada

Device

Samsung Galaxy s9

Operating System

Android

My Question or Issue

Today, I received a popup in the Android app that told me to send a verification email to my email address in order to verify my account. This is odd because I opened my Premium Account 3 years ago; why would Spotify wait until now to request verification?

My only thought is that either: (a) I already verified my account and Spotify needs me to re-verify after a certain period of time (e.g., 3 years); (b) I never verified my account and for some reason Spotify is just now asking me to verify; or (c) there is somebody trying to access my account and that triggered Spotify to request verification.

I think  (c) is unlikely because I received the notification in-app. It wasn't from an email, which is usually how phishing works. As for (a) and (b), I checked my email and there has been no email from Spotify requesting verification (aside from the one that was sent today via the app), but even if I never verified, why wait over three years after I begin my membership to ask?

Anybody experience something similar/know why this is happening?

Thanks.

15 Replies

Getting the same thing on my Galaxy S10. After opening the desktop app, I went back to the Android app and the message was gone. Guessing it's just a bug.

Yeah same thing here, I thought my account was compromised. I hope the Spotify team communicate with us even if it's just a bug

Hey @cjf9393, @onchance99 and @toulboks,

Thanks for writing about this here in the Community.

Writing to confirm you all is good with what you've seen and that you should simply follow the directions to verify your email address 🙂 

Hope you'll find this info useful!

Mario Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

It's really weird that there's no answer to WHY the app is doing this, just a "follow the instructions". Kind of suspicious. Like maybe Spotify was compromised and email addresses were changed and this is their way of handling it without telling anyone...

I just received this same in app popup on iPhone 6s iOS 14.4. My premium account is at least a year and a half old. I have to admit that I am hesitant to "follow instructions", as it does seem rather peculiar... So, I will wait it out a bit to see what others say, and to see if any news or discussion about it arises elsewhere. I'm not naïve and it just seems odd enough to trigger a yellow flag in my brain.

Hey folks,

Thanks for posting.

We take the security of all user accounts very seriously and that's why we regularly update and run different verification checks.

Note that if your account is a older it's possible that it was created before the current verification standards were introduced and that's why this is happening.

We hope this answers your questions. Keep us posted of you need further help.

Mihail Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

App on iPhone XR (iOS 14.4), got the pop up as well. Humored it (it was an in-app request, didn’t seem fishy), got the email, clicked the verify link on it and got redirected to a basically blank, non Spotify page. Looked like one of those “this domain is available” pages. At that point, I thought the app had been hacked.

If it actually Spotify asking for this, it is not reassuring that they send an email with a broken link.  I’ve had Premium for about 4 years (maybe more), had never been asked to verify anything before, never had any issues. 

The thing appeared again minutes ago when I opened the app. I’m ignoring it now. 

Same. This didn't feel right to me at first, so I waited a bit. As a matter of fact, the verification email didn't get sent the first time I got this notification, which was weird. I chose to ignore it, and it popped up again in which I verified my email again. Weird.

Oh, that makes sense. My account is more than 6 years old now. Times have changed, lol.

Ok so I'm apparently not the only one who's been having this problem either. I get the notification and tap send verification email and don't get anything related to that in my inbox. Weird

Same here. 2 days ago my in-car Android Head Spotify App said my email is not verified, I had an in-app blue popup. This is strange, it IS verified, and my account is old. Neither of my desktop windows apps asked about verification. So I chose to ignore this request, thought it may be some weird hack.

Hey there folks,

Thank you for your replies in this thread.

Can you try in a incognito/private window? If it still doesn't work we suggest that you try from another device, browser and also check your spam folder.

We recommend that you follow the verification steps since your account will be blocked if it's not being done. As @Mihail mentioned - we take the security of all user accounts very seriously and that's why we regularly update and run different verification checks.

Let us know how everything goes so that we can continue to assist you if you need us to. We're always one reply away.

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Just for an update: after receiving that popup that one time—and being too suspicious, I didn't "follow instructions"—it's been well over a month and I haven't gotten it again. Interesting... 🤔

I believe this is all part of Spotify’s crackdown plan to force people to pay more by finding users of family plans that do not reside at one address..... Mo money $$$

No - that's not what is happening.  I got this message repeatedly on the iPhone and every time I clicked on send email, no verification email was received. I recently switch to Android and the same message appeared. Click on the verify email and again nothing was received. For now the message is gone but I am sure it will be back soon enough.

Suggested posts