Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Announcements in Premium accounts

Solved!

Announcements in Premium accounts

Why am I seing ads disguised as "announcements" almost every time I start Spotify? I'm paying for premium, just so I don't see these ads.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Just to confirm you guys have definitely got the "Hide On Discover Page" option ticked in Edit/Spotify > Preferences and have restarted the client?

If so, I can raise this as a bug for you.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

15 Replies

You can disable them in Edit/Spotify > Preferences > Music Announcements > Hide on Discover Page.

Peter

Hi !

Unfortunatly this option doesn't  work.

Same here. Incredibly annoying. I pay for Premium to get rid of all that. Having to manually disable them is counter intuitive to the advertised product. Boooo Spotify!

@Henrygrey wrote:

Why am I seing ads disguised as "announcements" almost every time I start Spotify? I'm paying for premium, just so I don't see these ads.

Up today its a video .............

Get out that adverts !

Marked as solution

Just to confirm you guys have definitely got the "Hide On Discover Page" option ticked in Edit/Spotify > Preferences and have restarted the client?

If so, I can raise this as a bug for you.

Peter

I logged out on all devices, logged back in and then was able to select hide on discover page.

Awesome. Has that worked for you?

Yep. It did indeed. Thanks.

Hi

i uncheck the option and logout. After login check this option logout and reconnect and .... a beautiful advert 😞

Hi !

Bug still here ! 

I made a video  : 

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x297wi8_bug-spotify_music

Ah thanks for the video, I'm passing this over to the Spotify team to check out for you.

Peter

Still here.....

It's me or you remove this option in parameters ? 

It's really annoying.

I have this problem today.

The ad is for Get Music, which is owned by Universal Music - whom I am not a customer of.

The button in Preferences reads "Show announcements about new releases",

but the ad itself reads: "The best playlists in Singapore" by"getmusicsingapore". That is not a new release.

The playlists are

Power Hits Global (top hits)

Addict - Can't get enough of it (top hits)

Asian persuasion 

All of the playlists contain songs that were added more than 2 months ago, the oldest almost a year. That is not a new release. That is an ad.

Just opened the Spotify desktop app, only to be greeted with a huge banner for a playlist I couldn't care less about.

OK, so it's a playlist, and it's new. And maybe half of Europe is currently going crazy about the UEFA EURO 2016.

However, the contents of this playlist don't correlate with my listening patterns at all, if I want to listen to Top 40, I can tune in to a dozen free radio stations, thank you very much.

So there seem to be other factors at work for Spotify to show me this crap instead of some exciting new releases that I might actually be interested in.

As a result, this type of 'announcement' looks like a textbook example of native advertising as outlined in the Native Advertising Playbook by the Interactive Advertising Bureau, except that it's not properly disclosed as such and the premium version is sold as ad-free.

Or maybe the algo is just really dumb...

To be fair, this could be related to the fact that the current track was https://open.spotify.com/album/4WI7KdV9SNRBrVuVSZksV6 -- I had been listening to some old Snoop Dogg stuff the other day, and when this track came on, I puked in my mouth a little and immediately quit the app. So when I opened the app again today, it went back to playing this track, and, well, maybe people who like that kind of stuff also like EURO 2016 hits... In which case it would be a subsequent error.

spotify-announcement.jpg

How about making it an option to a premium account. "Don't want to see notifications, ever.  [X]" That's what we are paying for. 

It stays hidden now, but only after one hides it. What is seen, cannot be unseen. And that is an advertisement.

Suggested posts