Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Annual versus Monthly Premium subscription

Solved!

Annual versus Monthly Premium subscription

Hej Spotify

A year ago I had subscribed for Spotify Premium with an annual payment plan. Now this got changed into a Premium subscription with monthly payment without any announcement.

It's annoing to have my CC charged with a monthly payment and I'd like to change this back to my original, annual payment schedule.

For whatever reason the option to change this doen't show up in my profile no matter what browser I am using IE, Firefox, Chrome...

I have read through the various posts but didn't help.

Any suggestions? And guys its 2014 we should have come over browser incompatibilities by now....

regards

Cloudsailor

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Unfortunately the annual recurring subscription option has been removed and it is not certain if/when it will return. 

If you wish to purchase premium time in advanced, you can still do so by purchasing a Spotify eCard and redeeming it against your own account. 

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

There was no clear message or announcement here on the community, but if you would like to ask get in touch with the customer services team directly using the online contact form and they should be able to let you know. 

If you get an automated email reply back directing you to the community or help pages, you need to reply directly to that email (even if its from no-reply) and one of the customer services agents will get back to you as soon as possible.

Alternatively, if you prefer support via Twitter, please tweet @SpotifyCares.

Its worth noting you can still buy Premium time in advanced by purchasing Spotify eCards.

Peter

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Marked as solution

Unfortunately the annual recurring subscription option has been removed and it is not certain if/when it will return. 

If you wish to purchase premium time in advanced, you can still do so by purchasing a Spotify eCard and redeeming it against your own account. 

Peter

Hej Peter,

Thanks for the update. Well I guess I'll just have to accept such a nonsense by Spotify. If they prefer to pay credit card charges on monthly subscription payments instead of receiving an  annual pre-payment so bet it.

Well then enjoy Spotify and go through life with a smile on your face and a song in your heart......

cheers,

cloudsailor

Hi - sorry to butt in on this:

Just tried to look for this - no wonder I couldn't find it. Is there any reason why the annual subscription has been taken away? (and therefore any indication whether its being considered to be brought back etc.?)

Cheers

Marked as solution

There was no clear message or announcement here on the community, but if you would like to ask get in touch with the customer services team directly using the online contact form and they should be able to let you know. 

If you get an automated email reply back directing you to the community or help pages, you need to reply directly to that email (even if its from no-reply) and one of the customer services agents will get back to you as soon as possible.

Alternatively, if you prefer support via Twitter, please tweet @SpotifyCares.

Its worth noting you can still buy Premium time in advanced by purchasing Spotify eCards.

Peter

Thanks Peter - I might chuck them a message. If I get anything meaningful I'll put it here for anyone else to find.
Cheers!

That would be most appreciated! Thanks! 🙂

Peter

Reply didn't answer my questions asking what the reason was and whether there is a potential decision to bring the functionality back.

So I'm going to speculate on it being down to Revenue Recognition. If you pay for the e-card, that's a purchase that can be recognised immediately. You pay (approx) £120 and buy a 12-month e-card, they can recognise that £120 received straight away (what you do with it after that is up to you essentially).

If there is a monthly subscription which you can pay in advance, they can only recognise a month at a time after they have performed the required service. So they owe you back the full amount straight away, then owe you back less and less as time goes on.
It's essentially the same thing but the e-card purchase is a transaction which means that you're not technically buying the subscription, you're buying credit.

I think I've rambled on enough - the point being I don't think it does them any favours to bring back the annual subscription facility so I don't think it will happen.

Not sure they would give you it back though, it does outlined pretty bluntly in the ToCs that they don't have to refund any service fees already paid to them - but who knows!

Thanks for letting us know what they said! 🙂

Peter

So sad that they removed the 12 Month subscription...it's a degrade to the service for sure! As you say just accept it and look happy, I hope that there soon will be more competitors on the market.

Sad sad bad Spotify.

BAD SPOTIFY! I want to pay for a year so I don't keep gettting a reminder that I'm spewing $10 a moth for a so-so music serice. Eventually I'll stop paying if you don't figure it out and let me pay you all at once.

Your loyal customer 

A.

Agreed. Sooo inconvenient!
I begun paying for music services with Pandora yrs ago and love the annual renewal rates. In fact , my renew rates are discounted since I been with them so long.
If there's a competitor that offer similar services with the convenience of annual subscriptions, then bye bye bad Spotify.

Suggested posts