Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Are temporary abroad and Spotify asked to change country, and now my card get's denied

Are temporary abroad and Spotify asked to change country, and now my card get's denied

Hi,

So I have an ongoing issue with my spotiy account that is really annoying. I want spotify premium as always before, but since I came to US spotify notified me that I had to change country because I had used my account for more than 14 days in another country than where I'm from. This is when the problem began, I ofcourse went in and changed to USA and then all the sudden when I already changed, it declined my card since it's not an american payment card, and now I can't change back to my country (Sweden) in the account settings so I really have nowhere to go and since spotify doesn't offer any assistance, maybe someone can tell me what to do with this stupid bug that they put into their system. 

Why the h*ll do they have an option to change country and then you're not even able to change it back? It's 2018 people, humans travel! So f*cking annoying! I want to listen to my music, but if it's not solved soon I guess I just have to turn to another provider, because I want my offline playlists and to not have irritating commercials all the time...

3 Replies

Hi! From you mentioning "payment method", I am assuming that you are on Spotify Premium. There are a couple things you need to know.

1. If you have Premium, Spotify works wherever you are in the world, even if you don't change your country settings.
  2. If you have Premium, in order to change your country settings, you'll need a valid payment method in the country that you want to switch to.

Keeping these things in mind, here is how you can change your country (and payment information) in Spotify 🙂

1. Log into your account page on the Spotify website
  2. Select "Subscription" in the left panel
  3. Click "Update Details"
  4. Click "..." for more options
  5. Click "Change Country" and select the country you want to move your account to
  6. Choose a payment method that is based in the new country (i.e. the billing address is in the country)
  7. Confirm the change by clicking "Change Payment Details"

The above is shamelessly copied from The help article on exactly this topic. 😄

Hi,
Yes I had premium at the time and that’s why its weird that the notification about changing your county appeared. But it didn’t tell me that I had to be prepared to change payment method to a card in that country or that it was optional or required if you moved to a new country permanently. So I changed, and AFTER it told me it was a problem with my payment, and since I already changed country and I’m currently still in USA I can’t change it back to Sweden because the box in which to change is grey and therefor not possible to change, my only option there is USA, and that’s my issue.

So what you explained I already tried and it doesn’t work sadly.

Okay if you want Spotify to do it from the inside you can contact them by clicking here.

Suggested posts