Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Authorize websites to connect to & access account?

Authorize websites to connect to & access account?

I'm surprised there isn't any info on this considering a user is forfeiting privacy/security by authorizing a site that requests access to their account.  For ex, I attempted to download a "free" track, but in exchange allowing them access to both my Soundcloud & Facebook account wasn't enough (of course i wasn't notified of this prior to giving them access), and I need to give up access to my Spotify account as well in order to download this track.

The Spotify pop-up says:

----

Connect "Website X" to your spotify account.

"Website X" helps you stay in touch with the artists you love.

"Website X" will be able to:

• Read your publicly available information
  • Manage who you are following
  • Manage your public playlists
  • Get your email address
  • Manage your saved tracks and albums

----

The way it's worded is very worrysome.  They can manage who I'm following, my playlists, AND my saved tracks/albums?  Why?? What does this mean exactly?  That they could potentially delete or rearrange my own personal playlists & social network, and there is no accountability or security to protect me from being vulnerable to this site?  Why doesn't it simply allow them to add me as a follower. Why do they need access to my entire account and why would Spotify give them control of aspects of it that have nothing to do with them? Do I have to give them my credit card info on my Spotify account next in order to obtain this "free" track?

4 Replies

I would be careful and research the app before allowing it to access your account.

If a website or app told me I needed to allow them access to THREE ACCOUNTS, I would say hell no.

Unfortunately Spotify does not currently have a way to manage third party access. So you might be out of luck once access is granted.

People can add kudos to this idea to show support:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/All-Platforms-Manage-Third-Party-Access-Permissions/idi-...

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

yeah, exactly. I didn't hit the 'okay' button.  It's not an app though, but a site (https://www.toneden.io) which hosts a lot of music for established artists that have music available on Spotify, including the track they were offering for free download.

I gave kudos to that idea you linked - thanks for passing that along.

@shape5

I've actually used that site before. 

Galantis was holding a contest on Facebook to win autographed stuff so I trusted it. Only had to connect Spotify and Facebook account. After the contest was over I removed Facebook. Can't revoke Spotify, but I haven't had anything weird happen to my account so I would say it's ok.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I meant to followup on this way back...  Toneden.io ended up being completely trustworthy from what i experienced.  Their support staff was very professional, responsive to my questions, and open about the policies.  From what I recall there was some sort of login issue at the time I posted this which caused the site not to recognize that I already authorized one site.  I think one was all they required 🙂

Suggested posts