Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Being charged £9.99 for student premium?

Solved!

Being charged £9.99 for student premium?

I just checked my online banking and it says spotify took £9.99 this month, rather than the £4.99 (as im a current student).

I went into spotify and updated my student subscription as it said it had expired, i assume it's been a year since i signed up - however it still states that "Your Spotify Premium subscription will be automatically renewed the 2014-10-13 and charged £9.99 every 1 month, unless you cancel your subscription before that time."

Does the student plan only last the year, even if I am still a student? 

Thanks. 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

@LaurenceM93 wrote:

I just checked my online banking and it says spotify took £9.99 this month, rather than the £4.99 (as im a current student).

I went into spotify and updated my student subscription as it said it had expired, i assume it's been a year since i signed up - however it still states that "Your Spotify Premium subscription will be automatically renewed the 2014-10-13 and charged £9.99 every 1 month, unless you cancel your subscription before that time."

Thanks. 

Hi,

The discount is on your account but it has not been activated.  You need to go to www.spotify.com/account/susbcription and cancel the renewal of the £9.99.  Once you have done that, just go to www.spotify.com/uk/student and activate the £4.99 deal.  This will make your future payments be on the Unidays deal.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

I am having the same problem, except that my Student subscription is only a month old. When I attempted to re-verify my student status, it simply redireted me back to my "Managing Subscriptions" page.

I'm having a similar problem. I've had premium this past month and have been trying repeatedly to upgrade to the student discount from the given link but it just takes me to my subscription page showing that I'm still being charged $9.99. My account automatically renewed subscription today under that price so I want to fix this ASAP.

Marked as solution

@LaurenceM93 wrote:

Thanks. 

Hi,

The discount is on your account but it has not been activated.  You need to go to www.spotify.com/account/susbcription and cancel the renewal of the £9.99.  Once you have done that, just go to www.spotify.com/uk/student and activate the £4.99 deal.  This will make your future payments be on the Unidays deal.

@Xorauthor wrote:

I am having the same problem, except that my Student subscription is only a month old. When I attempted to re-verify my student status, it simply redireted me back to my "Managing Subscriptions" page.

Hi,

Your discount was added before the $9.99 was taken - it looks like the normal subscription was applied.  Please email the support team via this link and they will help you adjust your account.

@mel-nda wrote:

I'm having a similar problem. I've had premium this past month and have been trying repeatedly to upgrade to the student discount from the given link but it just takes me to my subscription page showing that I'm still being charged $9.99. My account automatically renewed subscription today under that price so I want to fix this ASAP.

Hi,

Could you please email support at this link?  They will help you adjust your account.

Hi

Also a student and being charged £9.99, have been for a while without realising. Is there any way to be reimbursed for this, seeing as Spotify didn't notify me that my membership would end @ £4.99 and continue on twice the price? 

Phil

@user-removed - How long have you had student premium for? It is mentioned in the terms and conditions of the offer it is only valid for 12 months at which point normal billing resumes.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I'm having this problem now, but the link provided in the solution is now dead.

Here's the problem:

I have student spotify

It ran out

I updated it

Now I'm stuck paying 9.99 even thought I updated with Unidays. And even though my account says '4.99' in some places, it says 9.99 in others.

Am I right in thinking the only way to solve is to cancel my premium and then re-apply for premium?

Please help!! Thanks 🙂

Suggested posts