Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can I listen separately in two devices? Changing playlist in one, the other shall stay.

Can I listen separately in two devices? Changing playlist in one, the other shall stay.

Plan

Free/Premium

Country

Device

(iPhone 8, Samsung Galaxy 9, Macbook Pro late 2016)

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

9 Replies

Hi @MaKaMaErKi and welcome to the Community! 🙂

Yes, you can listen separately on 2 devices if you have a Premium account. One device would need to be in offline mode though since Spotify will only stream to one device per account at a time.
As far as your playlist question - if I understand it correctly you want one device to have a playlist but the other one not to? If so, this is not possible once the account syncs online with both devices again. The offline device would need to go back online every 30 days in order for Spotify to recognize the account is still Premium and count the streams.

Feel free to reply if this wasn't what you meant and I will try to help out some more. Have a lovely day! 🙂

Hi, and thank You for replying.
I´m not sure what You mean by offline mode? My computer is always on, and
connected to my home WiFi. My phone is always on, and sometimes connected
to WiFi, otherwise mobile data. But I of course only listen to Spotify in
one unit at a time. When I change playlist in the phone, I don´t want any
change in what I earlier listened to (another playlist) in the computer.
The one shall have no affect on the other. Do I need to switch something
off, when I stop listening?

Kindly
/Mats

Hi again @MaKaMaErKi ! 🙂
The Spotify apps allow you to listen in Offline mode if you have a Premium subscription. This allows you to download music to your devices and not need to be online for 30 days (using data, syncing account changes). It will not prevent your playlists from syncing up when you go back online though. Since the library is universal across all devices, your playlists would show up on your phone and computer with any changes that you made online or offline. The only way you could have separate libraries and playlists would be to have 2 separate accounts.
I hope this helped clear things up a bit and have a great day! 🙂

Thank You för Your reply.
I have Premium.
I´m a bit disappointed thou, if it means I have to go offline and
downloading
music. I will not do that. I simply want to listen to my playlists
(online), different
playlists in the two devices. When I switch playlist in one device it shall
not
affect the listening (active playlist) in the other.
This must be a very common request, and it seems strange if Spotify doesn´t
meet with this basic feature!?
Can You confirm that I´ve not misunderstood, and that this can not be
done in Spotify today?
If so, do You have the means to forward this suggestion to the proper
channel?
Perhaps a choice in Settings, if Spotify shall keep devices separate, or
when
I switch playlist in one device it automatically changes to the same
playlist
in the other. Then it needs do keep track on where in the playlist I am, so
it continues in the exact same place (song) when I switch unit. I wouldn´t
use this, but perhaps many others.
Regardless, of course there is only one set of playlists, since it is the
same user and login. When adding a song in a playlist in one device,
it adds directly in the other, being the same set of playlists.

Kindly
/Mats

Hi @MaKaMaErKi ! 🙂

You don't actually have to use the Offline mode if you'd prefer not to. It would just be an option to keep your devices separated for 30 days. Any changes you would make on one wouldn't show up until you took them online again.
There is no setting to keep the account separated on 2 devices though since the Connect feature will pick up the active one and hand off to the next online device.
If you are listening to both devices online, the account will continue to sync with any changes you make. 
I couldn't find anything to match exactly in the Ideas forum that may have already been requested, but feel free to check over there or add your own idea. If it gets enough votes during the year, Spotify might consider it for a feature update.
I hope this was useful and have a great day! 🙂

Hello.
Thank You for the reply.
Just to be clear, i have no interest in keeping the lists themselves
separate, it's good they get updated direct. It´s just the listening I
was hoping could be separate, so if I switch list in my phone when
at work, I remain at home (in my computer) on the list (and song) I
was listening to in that device. As if I didn´t use Spotify in another
device.
With hopes of a future improvement, on an otherwise great product,
thank You.
Kindly
/Mats

Excuse me, but is such a bull...t.

Every time I sit in my car and start up the car radio which has Spotify, it starts playing on my phone, or on my PC depending where I was last time listening, I always need to switch the device, when I exit the car and plug my earphones in, it sometimes starts playing on my PC since my car is offline.  

Why it cant automatically switch to the device where I press the freakin play button.

Today for example, I started on my mobile, and I wanted to stop the music, but in the app there was no "play/stop" button (probably a bug) so i needed to bring down the media volume and according to the legend it's still playing the music. 

If this is what you call "premium" then thanks but no thanks. 

Hey @erikkubica,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and for the info you shared.

We'd first recommend performing a clean reinstall of the app. This is often an overlooked step, but it can be helpful to get rid of any corrupted files that might be causing issues showing the buttons or syncing with other devices. 

If the issue persists, could you include the make, model and OS version along with the Spotify version you're currently running in your device?

We'll be on the lookout. 

OscarDCModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

This is really annoying. You think that an user MUST listen to the same playlist everywhere. I just want to have slow songs in a device, ready to go when i open it. Dance songs in another. Undisturbed. There should be an option to disable Spotify connect per device. The car example above shows how bad the connect system works. Give devices and users freedom. At least make a resume playlist option so when we switch it resumes from what? 345th or whatever you left off. 

Suggested posts