Free

Country

South Korea

Device

iPhone Xr

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Cannot change country. Have a free account and it says i cannot change unless i'm in the country. i've been here for months and still only the USA shows up when i go to edit my account.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi there @user-removed,

thanks for posting about this !

A user can use a Free subscription account in a different country for up to 14 days.

After 14 days of use the account asks for further actions to make the service available again.

As you created your account in the US, you cannot change your account country unless you create a new one with the matching country you're at and a matching payment method issued in the same country.

On top of that, Spotify have not yet launched their service in South Korea so unfortunately you won't be able to create an account if you've moved permanently.

I hope this shed some light.

Let me know if you have any further questions 🙂

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Hi there,

Please see this article below to see if it helps.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Answers/How-do-I-change-my-country-settings/ta-p/950275

Let me know!

hello, already read that. the top part is for a paid member. this part is a free member and it does not work as stated in the original question.

If you're on our free, ad-supported service you can use Spotify in a different country for up to 14 days.

To change your settings for the country you’re in:

• Click EDIT PROFILE
  • Scroll down to Country and select your new country from the dropdown list.      <------ does not work which is why i'm asking
    Note: Your new country only shows when you’re actually there.
  • Click SAVE PROFILE.

Did you originally set up your account when you were in the USA, and now you are in South Korea?

yes

Are you trying to do this on a wireless phone? If so, have you tried logging out of the application, and logging back in? You may also need to clear the cache from the application. Wouldn't hurt to reboot the phone.

Have you tried making the change from a desktop or laptop PC (or a Mac)? You do NOT need to install the desktop application. You can log into your account in a browser at spotify.com

The basic problem seems to be that the device you are using does not recognize the fact that you are in South Korea. It should, based on the IP address of whoever/whatever is providing your internet service.

Are you using a South Korean mobile phone provider?? Or are you using your US cell phone with some sort of international data plan?

I'm making an educated guess here, but your phone thinks you're still in the USA.

Do you ever turn your phone off?? LOL

You may need to contact Spotify support.

Are you on a US military base?? I'm not kidding around here. If you are, then the IP address may still identify you as being in the USA.

Marked as solution

Hi there @user-removed,

thanks for posting about this !

A user can use a Free subscription account in a different country for up to 14 days.

After 14 days of use the account asks for further actions to make the service available again.

As you created your account in the US, you cannot change your account country unless you create a new one with the matching country you're at and a matching payment method issued in the same country.

On top of that, Spotify have not yet launched their service in South Korea so unfortunately you won't be able to create an account if you've moved permanently.

I hope this shed some light.

Let me know if you have any further questions 🙂

tried on phone. logged in and out. rebooted phone.

tried on PC.

US phone with US data plan. yes, have turned it off.

not on a base.

thank you!

i used a free account in the US and never added a payment method, cause it's free

just because i moved to another country i have to add a payment method?

ah, ok. well, guess i won't be using Spotify then.

thanks!

Suggested posts