Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't choose my own username

Can't choose my own username

I tried creating an account with my email address and was not given the opportunity to select my username in the signup process. I thought that I would be able to choose a username after signing up, but once I logged in I saw that my username was automatically assigned as a bunch of random letters and numbers.

I googled how to change the username and found that it was not possible, so I figured I would make a new account and googled 'how to choose Spotify username' and came across this thread from your forum: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Accounts/Changing-Username/td-p/1405367

It indicates that if I were to create a new account I would be given the option to select my own username which is not the case (see attached image). Is there something I am missing? Where in the signup process do I have the option to choose a username?

Screen Shot 2017-10-11 at 8.33.47 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-10-11 at 8.36.09 PM.png
13 Replies

Hi!

Have you filled in the field "Whats's your name?"?

This was the one that gave me my username a while ago.

Best regards.

LukeSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Same thing happened with me, any insight yet??

Where do you do this??

Hi!

I think when you get in touch with the Spotify team from this link and fill in the form. I think they will help you create an new account and move your playlists.

Best regards.

LukeSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

You can no longer select your own username, and there is no timeframe on that feature coming back. I messaged SpotifyCares on Facebook, and this was their response.

response.png

I just succesfully chose my own username via the mobile app on iOS. This seems to be the only way so far. Probably since it takes longer to update the app than it does the website. I presume it also works on Android.

If you already created one with your email and it gave you the long random alpha-numeric username like I did, then you can change the email on that account to one a different email to unlock the email that you want to use for the account that you CAN choose your username on.

PSA: The app does not do a live check on the username to see if it is available so be sure to double check it before submitting.

Best,

Juan

IMG_6679.PNG
IMG_6680.JPG

Juan,

Thank you so much! I'm so grateful that this works! 

It only works on iOS, not on android! 

Thank you! I was able to use the iOS app to create a new account with a custom username today. 🙂

Hello! I’m so glad this worked for you. 🙂

On what IOS and what version of Spotify? I want to be able to do this too LOL

@TCousteau - No trickery here. Hopefully they haven't issued an update that removes the username field from the signup page in their iOS app in the past week or two. I was running the most recent version of iOS and the current version of Spotify at the time.

Hello, I’m so glad this worked for you!

You can choose a custom username by signing up on Android.

I have a tablet from 2015, I went to install Spotify from the Play store and saw I had disabled Spotify (version 2.3.0.828) with the device's other bloatware whenever I last did a factory reset.

Signing up from this version let me choose a username.

Just Google that version number and you will easily find older versions of the Android app to install (.apk) and sign up from, then you can update to the latest version.

Suggested posts