Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't create a brand new free account

Solved!

Can't create a brand new free account

I have upgraded to a Family Plan and send my son an invitation. Immediate problem is that the link from the "invitation" email takes me to a login page. So problem one - what account do I login with? He doesn't have an account.

So after digging around I find some FAQ that states that I (or my son) first needs to create a free account, then enter the token/code that was provided in the "initation" email.

So I try to create a new free account for my son, using my son's email. Trying from the link in the "invite" email, and trying by typing in www.spotify.com. The screen just sits and spins there. I have tried 2 computers, Safari and Chrome on Mac, IE, Chrome and Firefox on Windows 10, incognito mode and not. I disconnected my my phone from WiFi and tried using the phone. Nothing - the screen just sits there spinning the "in progress" wheel.

I've tried support chat and the guy had no clue and is going to escalate the issue. Does anyone know why this is happening? Why am I not able so create a simple free account?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Creating new account using a browser still does not work, same experience as everyone else. But there is an actual workaround. I used the iOS Spotify App and created a new account with it. No problems. 

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Hey @erdna65, help’s here!

That’s correct, your son will need his own account to be linked to your Premium for Family plan as a sub account.

All sub account members will need to be linked to the plan with their own accounts; There's more info on how to set up the other members of your family here.

We appreciate you trying multiple devices and incognito windows already. Could you try opening this link for us, and seeing if you’re able to create a new account with it? Keep us posted.

Thanks!

I am having the same problem. I've done two hour long chat sessions with Spotify support and they haven't been able to figure out why. It just churns and churns until eventually I get a message in the Capcha box that says "Verification expired." Have tried on multiple machines with multiple browsers from multiple locations over multiple internet connections. I've been paying for a family account for over a month now, but I can't actually create any linked accounts for my kids, and Spotify so far has no answers. Very frustrating.

I have the same issue.  I am trying to add my son to the family account. I've tried signing up a new account on Chrome, IE, Edge and Firefox, normal and icognito.  Tried on Android Phone and ipad, gmail and native browsers, and it just won't work,

After the Google challenge, click signbin up and the little wheel spins and spins and spins.

Same!

I created an account for myself and loved it so much I decided to get my wife on board.

I have been trying to setup an account for my wife for a month now and I CAN'T (screen loads endlessly too).

This is VERY FRUSTRATING!

Just creating kids accounts.  Had trouble with one - then remembered - they have to be 13 years..........

so bold/opptimistic "help is here" - how exactly is this resolved? Day 4 of trying. Day 4 of paying....do we need to cancel the famiy plan? or is there a solution?

Same thing, tried to create new account from my sons family invite.
I also tried with all possible browsers ... no luck.

Then I decided to check what the console on developer tools says when pressing the register-button :

spweb-site-ad03e0c37d.min.js:3 Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'type' of undefined
at t.validator.highlight (spweb-site-ad03e0c37d.min.js:3)
at t.validator.defaultShowErrors (spweb-site-ad03e0c37d.min.js:3)
at t.validator.showErrors (spweb-site-ad03e0c37d.min.js:3)
at c (signup-660fa65035.js:1)
at Object.<anonymous> (signup-660fa65035.js:1)
at Object.dispatch (jquery-2-0680c441b5.1.3.min.js:2)
at Object.v.handle (jquery-2-0680c441b5.1.3.min.js:2)
at Object.trigger (jquery-2-0680c441b5.1.3.min.js:2)
at Object.e.event.trigger (jquery-2-0680c441b5.1.3.min.js:3)
at Object.<anonymous> (jquery-2-0680c441b5.1.3.min.js:2)

I actually looked at the code ... come on guys, you should be able to fix this.
This is embarassing.

Marked as solution

Creating new account using a browser still does not work, same experience as everyone else. But there is an actual workaround. I used the iOS Spotify App and created a new account with it. No problems. 

You the man !.

I didn't know this since my own account was created very long time ago through the invite mechanism.   

This has still not been fixed! How bad are your developers? Or does simply nobody give a damn?

Hey everyone,

Thanks for searching for the answer you need here!

We've summarized all troubleshooting steps suggested so far bellow, as to have everything gathered in one place. If you experience difficulties creating a new account try the following steps:

• Using a private/incognito browser.
  • Using a different internet connection.
  • Using a different device.
  • Make sure that the account is above the minimum age requirement for your country. You can find this in the End User Agreement. If that's not the case, you should check out Spotify Kids.

You can also use the option to create an account via the in-app menu. Keep in mind that there can be only one account with any given email address. Note also that after closing an account it takes 30 days for the email address to completely removed from our systems and used again to create an account. 

If this doesn't fix things, a screenshot of the error message you are receiving would help us out a lot in getting to the bottom of this. You can attach it to your post via the Insert Photo option, just be sure to hide any private or sensitive information.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on.

Have a nice day!

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts