Can't play Spotify from Alexa

Solved!

Can't play Spotify from Alexa

Plan

Premium

Country

Spain 

Device

Smartphone Samsung Galaxy J3 2007 (SM-J330FN)

Soundbar Sonos Beam

Operating System

Smartphone: Android 7.0

My Question or Issue

I can't play music on Spotify using Alexa. The following is the traduction to English of the conversation with Alexa (I use Spanish with Alexa):

• With my mobile phone, using Alexa app:
    • When I say "Play music" it says "I can't find music in your library".
    • When I say "Play music on Spotify" it says "I can't play Spotify music in this device".
  • In my Sonos Beam:
    • When I say "Play music" or "Play music on Spotify" it says "Here is Spotify music playing... Sorry, that device is disconnected."

To configure Spotify in Alexa, I opened Alexa app in my smartphone and I went to Configuration / Music and I configured my account, using Facebook to log in Spotify. I also established it as default music service.

It is strange that when I link Spotify to Alexa, I get the message "Your Spotify account has been linked. You need a Premium account to use Spotify with Alexa". Why does it say that I need a Premiun account? It is a fixed warning message for all users (Premium and Free)? Or maybe does Alexa think that my account is not Premium? See attached image below.

Screenshot_20190109-142058.png

Note: in the Spotify app, I do the login using Facebook also, and I access to my account of Spotify with Premium functionality available.

Thanks id advance.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi,

I HAVE JUST SOLVED IT!

I contacted Spotify Support by Meessenger chat and they solved the problem. By the way, the online support works very well.

I had two accounts associated to my email address: one Premium linked to facebook and other Free. This can make problem with third party systems.

The support team migrated my playlists from my Free account to my Premium account and canceled the Free account.

Then, I disabled Sonos skill in Amazon Alexa and changed my Amazon password to force all systems to log out.  After that, I do login in Alexa app and enabled the Sonos skill again in Alexa app. And it worked perfectly!

View solution in original post

7 Replies

That message does not appear for me, it just says that my account has been linked so I believe that is your issue. When login to the Spotify web player with Facebook and look at account overview can you verify it states that you are premium? If you have been billed for Spotify in the past month it should say that you are premium. 

Thank you very much for your comment. Using my smartphone:

1) I open www.spotify.com in web browser (Chrome).

2) I log in spotify using facebook (I also write user and password in facebook login form).

3) I can see that my account is premium, and I can't see the last songs that I have been listening this morning in my Sonos Beam (I used Spotify app and connect to the soundbar from my mobile phone). Attached a ZIP with screenshots.

But it is strange that the web page shows me the "Premium" option. I don't know, again, if this happens for all Premium users or if there is a kind of problem with my account or configuration or who guess what. I understand this option should not be shown to Premium accounts, only to Free. And when I click on "Premium" then a web page appears saying "Upgrade to Family Plan!". I have tried in Chrome in smartphone, Chrome in laptop and Internet Explorer in laptop with the same result.

Even now in the top bar of the Spotify Community web, I can see the option "Get premium" and when I click it says to upgrade to Family Plan, see screenshots below.

top bar.PNG

captura a incluir.PNGcaptura a incluir 2.PNG

Thank you in advance!

I see both the "Premium" option on the Spotify web player and the "Get Premium" option on the community, I think those aren't dynamic and stay whether you are premium or not. Could you go into your account settings and tell me what you see under the account overview? You should see the details of your plan and your charge. 

chrome_2019-01-09_14-11-07.png
chrome_2019-01-09_14-11-28.png
chrome_2019-01-09_14-14-08.png

Here you can find an screenshot:

account settings.PNG

If you go to this page do you have Alexa as an approved application? This is the only thing I can think if that may be causing an issue, it looks like you've done everything right on your side.

Thank you very much for your help. I am sorry but it seems that Alexa is authorized.

Captura.PNG

Marked as solution

Hi,

I HAVE JUST SOLVED IT!

I contacted Spotify Support by Meessenger chat and they solved the problem. By the way, the online support works very well.

I had two accounts associated to my email address: one Premium linked to facebook and other Free. This can make problem with third party systems.

The support team migrated my playlists from my Free account to my Premium account and canceled the Free account.

Then, I disabled Sonos skill in Amazon Alexa and changed my Amazon password to force all systems to log out.  After that, I do login in Alexa app and enabled the Sonos skill again in Alexa app. And it worked perfectly!

Suggested posts