Announcements

Can't see my friends activity (without Facebook)

Highlighted

Can't see my friends activity (without Facebook)

Casual Listener

Plan

Premium

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I don't have a Facebook account. I saw in the forum that I don't need Facebook for adding friends and watch their activity. I followed the instructions and added a friend by following him. He follows me back. However, even though he (who has Facebook) can see me in his activity, I don't. My friends activity is empty and keep asking me to connect it to Facebook. Moreover, I can't even see my friend's songs or anything that isn't public. 

Basically, the following is useless. I tried to reinstall the app and many more trouble shooting ideas, nothing helped. But in every post I found in this forum you claim that I don't need to have a Facebook account to have friends. And again, my friend does see me in his activity. 

I'm a paying user because it is important to me to be exposed to different types of music. I feel limited by the playlists that the platform suggests to me. My friends are the thing that makes the difference. I'll be happy if you could guide me how to solve this issue.

10 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Can't see my friends activity (without Facebook)

Casual Listener

Can you check if the checkslider(checkbox) "Show Friend Activity" is checked? You can find it under Settings>Display Options>"Show Friend Activity".

Highlighted

Rock Star 9
Rock Star 9

Hi @z-3t14_5e26ec

Thank you for reaching out here in the Community!

You can share your activity just like @Sean-Paul suggested. 

If you want to read more on Friend Activity, head to this Support article. 

You can also check, if your private session is off. If you turn on private listening, other people can't see your activity.

If it comes to your friend's playlists, you wont be able to see them, even if you follow your friend, unless these playlists are set to public.

If your friend doesn't want to have certain playlists displayed on their profile, they can always send you a link, URI or code to a playlist they want to share with you. You'll be able to see that playlist and if you follow it, it'll be in your library, without displaying it on your friend's profile. 

I hope it helps!

Emilia_8Rock Star 9
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
Highlighted

Casual Listener

Unfortunately, it didn't answer my question. I am not using a private session and "Show Friend Activity" is on. I also logged out and in, re-installed the app, checked for updates and other answers I found online.

Seeing my friends' activity is an important feature for me. 

It is odd. My friend, who is connected via Facebook, can see me (even though I don't have Facebook). He added me by following me, in the same way I added him. But I can't see his activity. 

Casual Listener
It is
Highlighted

Casual Listener

Maybe your friend is in private session or he dissabled "Share my listening activity on spotify" in Settings>Social>Share my listening activity on spotify. Try to follow somebody else or one of us? I'am currently listening so you can check if that works. 

regards, 

Highlighted

Rock Star 9
Rock Star 9

Hi @z-3t14_5e26ec

Thanks for your response! 

Since you can't see your fiend's activity, could you ask them to check if they have their activity on and private session off?

If it doesn't help, please check this Ongoing Issue

If that's something you're experiencing, make sure to add your +VOTE there and provide all the information needed. That way you'll be notified with all the future updates on that case. 

Emilia_8Rock Star 9
Highlighted

Casual Listener

I don't know if this is the same issue but I'll try. Thank you

Highlighted

Rock Star 9
Rock Star 9

I hope everything works out for you, @z-3t14_5e26ec

Have a nice day 🙂

Emilia_8Rock Star 9
Highlighted

Visitor

I'm having the same problem, can you let me know if you've resolved it or is it still going on?

SUGGESTED POSTS