Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Canada] Can I get a Google Home mini if I'm on a Premium for Family or Student discount?

Solved!

[Canada] Can I get a Google Home mini if I'm on a Premium for Family or Student discount?

Plan

Family Premium

Country

Canada

Device

My Question or Issue

Why is the family plan excluded from the offer?  Only the base premium plan gets the Google home mini? That is complete BS.  Every other Country the family plan was eligible

411 Replies

Luckily my premium is up in a few days so I did the following:

Cancelled my Family Plan (Never To Return).

Signed myself, My Wife,her mother, my mother, her brother, and her sister up for seperate premium plans.

Got a google home mini for each signup.

Cancelled all the plans.

Im fine with paying $60 for 6 google home minis.

After that, Im now done with Spotify forever!

I can't either get this either, I understand theres multiple people on the account, but why cant the card holder be able to get this promotion! 

So essentially I have to delete my pregnant wife's entire music library (all playlists, etc...) for a month as a workaround? No thanks... I enjoy living...

How about just providing the promotion to your entire Premium community? It's not like we're asking for 5 Google Home Mini's if we have 5 accounts on the $15 family plan. We only want 1 per account like everyone else...

@Elchubbo wrote:

Luckily my premium is up in a few days so I did the following:

Cancelled my Family Plan (Never To Return).

Signed myself, My Wife,her mother, my mother, her brother, and her sister up for seperate premium plans.

Got a google home mini for each signup.

Cancelled all the plans.

Im fine with paying $60 for 6 google home minis.

After that, Im now done with Spotify forever!

I just wanted to give some perspective on this, its just my opinion and you are totally free to do what you want.

Based on previous posts you've made you have been on the Family plan since ‎2016-10-15. Thats 29 months. You also mentioned you have 6 family members on the plan, so you are using the full benefit of the discounted family rate.

With the Family plan that Spotify offers you have saved $45 a month. $45 x 29 months = $1305. You pay $15 a month. $15 x 29 months = $435.

so...

You've paid Spotify: $435
Spotify offers have saved you: $1305

On top of that you've just gotten nearly $500 worth of Google Home Minis for $60.

I assume you've enjoyed Spotify's service since you are a long time member. Abandoning a company and taking advantage of them because they didnt give you a FREE Google Home Mini seems like an overeaction. They never had to give free devices to anyone, but they did. They never had to offer a discounted family plan, but they did.

Anyway those are just my thoughts, you and anyone else are free to do whatever you like (including ignoring me).

You could also argue that if Spotify had offered the Google Home to Family plan members in the first place you and they wouldn't be in this situation.

I had a family account even thought I was the only one in our family using it. I have downgraded it to premium and it says in 10 days my subscription type will be changed. I hope it will allow me then.

Absolutely ridiculous. Family plan customers pay almost double, and we are offered nothing? As a paying customer, i'm quite upset at this. 

It doesn't make sense at all!

It's not like we're getting minis for each account. We just want one like everyone else... #lame

Please open this offer to family plan members.  I shouldn't have to change my plan to get this as it is only fair we all have the opportunity

Thanks so much!!

Well, the problem is that the message isn't consistent.  I can't argue that the family plan is a savings, but that's not the point and it shouldn't even be an answer.  In fact if that Spotify person actually said that, he/she should be corrected since it doesn't follow the previous promotions in other countries.  The family account is a savings for everyone no matter what country, so that idea or answer is as bad as jumping in a falling elevator. 

Not applying it to Canada is in my opinion wrong and inconsistent message. I have faith that Spotify will say sorry, we messed up with the marketting and we will have the same rules applied here, but we have limited amount available (10) so first ones get it. 😛

It doesn't seem fair that the destinction would be country specific. Regardless, a response from @spotify would really clear this up.

It's totally ridiculous that we pay more for this and are excluded. Being forced to downgrade my plan just to participate is equally ridiculous. Not pleased.

Personally,  I think every plan should receive this, but completely understand their logic.

The person paying the bill IS paying more, but a person that is paying for the premium is the only one benefiting.  On the Family Plan, you could have 5 adults who are all capable of paying for themselves all get the exact same services as if they were paying for the invidivual plan.  

While I disagree with this promotion (because I like free stuff as much as the next), I also understand their logic and not going to get upset about it.  They voluntearily gave me the work around without asking for it or having to be an irrate customer, so I'm happy with their response.  Whether I take advantage of it or not ... don't know.  It's a bit of a hassle and don't really need a Mini.

I would not have an isue if they had not offered it to Family subscibers in the US and the UK.  Only in Canada are family subscribers excluded

The biggest issue for me, is that this promo includes Family subscribers in every other country. To not do so here for no established reason is an incredible oversight.

I think though that while there is certainly value, the question here is why does the promo not apply to a higher end package vs. the lower end package.  Just doesn't make any logical sense especially when their own tech support tells you to downgrade to get the promo.

I mean even with family accounts there is one main account holder who pays so why should that person not be eligible? I get you aren't gonna give 5 away but like I pay for my family plan so I mean this is kind lame that they would do this.

Bumping this thread to add my voice of confusion and displeasure.  This is a huge mistake by Spotify, especially when asking people to downgrade (thus LOSING revenue) in order to then get a free piece of hardware, (further hit to revenue per customer).  From any standpoint, I have no idea how the marketing/sales team thought that this was remotely a good idea... So now you've upset customers, and those who go through the hassle of getting the free device has cost you revenue! lol?

I came looking for this offer as well and I'm ticked off about not offering it to their Family Plan members.   I just had a similar discussion with PayPal about the state of 'offers' and 'deals' lately.  They all seem a bit paltry.  I'd rather see fewer GOOD offers and not these monthly offers of low percentages, or gifts with caveats and conditions.

If you make an offer, make it to everyone!  If it costs a lot, then plan for fewer, but much better offers, instead of things like this.

@SDude wrote:

Bumping this thread to add my voice of confusion and displeasure.  This is a huge mistake by Spotify, especially when asking people to downgrade (thus LOSING revenue) in order to then get a free piece of hardware, (further hit to revenue per customer).  From any standpoint, I have no idea how the marketing/sales team thought that this was remotely a good idea... So now you've upset customers, and those who go through the hassle of getting the free device has cost you revenue! lol?

I definitely think Spotify can do a better job with communication here but I dont think the normal premium plan is a "downgrade" from the Family Plan.

The Family Plan is a discount plan. If you have two family members your normal premium price would be $20/month. On the Family Plan the cost is only $15 a month, thats a discount.

Also came to the community looking for answers and glad that there is already a strong group of users that have the same issue.

Just chiming into the thread and hoping for an update from the Spotify camp, soon.

Suggested posts