Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Canada] Can I get a Google Home mini if I'm on a Premium for Family or Student discount?

Solved!

[Canada] Can I get a Google Home mini if I'm on a Premium for Family or Student discount?

Plan

Family Premium

Country

Canada

Device

My Question or Issue

Why is the family plan excluded from the offer?  Only the base premium plan gets the Google home mini? That is complete BS.  Every other Country the family plan was eligible

411 Replies

I just ran into this as well....that is super dissappointing for sure 😞

I HAVE a premium account and have for a couple of years. I keep getting told I’m not eligible for the Google Home Mini promo. Why Not? 

I was given a $60 gift certificate for Christmas that I applied to my account so I’m paid up until August 2019. Is this why I’m not eligible?! If so, that’s absolutely ridiculous!!! 

I’ve paid more into Spotify over that last couple of years than the newbies you have signing up for this promo.  Not very nice for you loyalty customers. 

1. This is terrible customer relations.  Plus the fact that Spotify makes it impossible to contact them or get answers.  I am not happy that this offer isn't available to Canadians with family plans!

Me too

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue. Have been using the family plan now for over a year. Not sure why spotify is completely excluding existing users who pay more from this promotion. 

Yep, as several other users have mentioned, I also tried downgrading but then it said "It looks like you're not eligible for that offer, but we found more for you.", and then just shows me the family plan which it is not eligible for??? C'mon Spotify. Clear the air here.

homemini.png

It's so frustrating. I downgraded to the 9.99 one, but it doesn't take effect until the end of the month, so it still makes me ineligible. I've put it back to my family account and am still fuming at home. Grr.

Yeah they obviously just want to see what they can get away with .I mean they already learnt from the USA and UK Offer that family plans expect the same trratreat.  I understand the student plan due to the cost difference. 

I’m on the 9.99 Spotify premium and it gave me the same you’re not eligible message, but I don’t have twitter so apparently no way to get any help with figuring it out.

The Downgrade won't work until the end of your current plan month.

The workaround is just to cancel entirely, sign up for a new membership if you want to ensure you get a google home mini.

I did this for the people on my family list (as well as a few others who requested) and then immidiately canceled the sub.  So ten bucks shipped for a google home mini..

Use the link below:

https://www.spotify.com/ca-en/googlehome/offer/

@spotify please clarify why the family plan is excluded from this amazing offer. I have been a spotify user for years and I absolutely adore this company over Apple Music (as I am an apple user). Canada always get the crappy end of the stick when it comes to special deals. Please fix this, thank you 😞

I think the only option is to cancel your $14.99 monthly family plan and order the $9.99 plan for the month so were eligible for the free google home mini. Hope that's not going to be the case. 

But when you cancel, won’t you lose all of your current music?

Also, not able to cancel for this of us who have paid ahead on our account
via gift certificates.

Shouldn’t have to “workaround”. Its poor planning for existing users on
Spotify’s part in my opinion.

If everyone goes to Ideas and then idea submissions and vote for it! Maybe if they get enough people to vote for it they will change it!! Go people!! Haha

I don't understand.  Do you want to make less money?  Why are the more expensive family plans excluded from the google home mini offer?  I am outraged!  We are less valuable to you?  And then I see in other countries, the family plans DO qualify.  It makes no sense.

You are probably right, I will try it as i have not been billed yet for
family plan. Hopefully that makes it easier. Inwill post back.

so I did this, sadly it keeps you in Family plan until the billing cycle ends

spotify1.JPG

Might not be the most ethical thing around, but if any member in your family plan is removed they should fall back on a free plan, which makes it possible to upgrade to a Premium plan for a month, get the promo code, cancel their premium plan and be added back to the Family plan. Basically you'd pay 10$ for a Google Home Mini 

Lol they don't care, I've spoken to 2 representatives and the only way is to cancel your subsciption, upgrade to single premium, redeem the promo then upgrade back to family.

Or you cancel someone out of the family, they upgrade to premium, and get them to redeem the promo.

Such a hassle just because we're on family, and I don't understand why.

Suggested posts