[Canada] Can I get a Google Home mini if I'm on a Premium for Family or Student discount?

Solved!

Re: Google Home Mini with family subscription trying to charge me

kereng

I got a resonse on twitter.  The offer is not available to family accounts

Re: Home Mini Canada Offer

Vorde
Casual Listener

If you look they offered it in other countries...

The fact that they left Canada out is kind of a big deal.

Also they still shouldn't punish other customers; especially when they pay more than the base price for things. 

That would be like if you paid for Netflix and they gave all their eligible 2 and 3 screen plan members a deal like this, but because you pay for 4 screens and give them more money for the access that you aren't allowed to have it.

You can't twist how ridiculous it is to change up the offering like that.

Jaybhatti
Casual Listener

Family plans were eligible in literally every country that had this promo before Canada.

Re: Google Home Mini

mzim23

Also a dissapointed Family Subcriber who gets the same error messages when trying to redeem the Google Home Mini. Hopefully spotify corrects this, or as others have said may consider using other providers!

ctwheels
Casual Listener

@deridder45 wrote:

Free stuff is always nice but lets be reasonable...

Yes with the family plan you pay $5/month more but you also get 5 more premium accounts in return. Thats a $50 value for only $5. These highly discounted premium accounts are why we are not eligable for offers like this. 

I realize not everyone uses all 5 additional premium accounts but even if you use just one you are already saving $5 a month.

Thanks Spotify for offering the Family plan and saving me $45 a month. I'll use those savings to buy a Google Home myself.

That's true, but it doesn't change the facts:

1. The Family Account is a Premium account, for which we pay at least $9.99/mo (at $14.99).
  2. The Google Home promotion was made available to Family account subscribers in the US, UK and France according to the following message boards:

I think we all appreciate the savings, but we are still Premium account subscribers who are not eligible for this promotion although other users with the same subscription have been made eligible. 

I don't think anyone is expecting to get six free Google Home Mini devices, but the Family account should at least be eligible for one.

mikekay

Yes -- Please make Canada have the same opportunities 

Elchubbo
Music Fan

If SPOTIFY doesn't respond to this by the end of the day, I am cancelling my plan and moving to Tidal.

This is customer disrespect of the highest order.

Re: Google Home Mini with family subscription trying to charge me

rherfurth

ditto on the issue.  Looks like Spotify dislikes Canadian families - hopefully they have a promo in the future as it appears UK gets the deal for their Family Premium plans

deridder45
Regular

@Vorde wrote:

If you look they offered it in other countries...

The fact that they left Canada out is kind of a big deal.

Also they still shouldn't punish other customers; especially when they pay more than the base price for things. 

That would be like if you paid for Netflix and they gave all their eligible 2 and 3 screen plan members a deal like this, but because you pay for 4 screens and give them more money for the access that you aren't allowed to have it.

You can't twist how ridiculous it is to change up the offering like that.

Yep, its definitely not fair that Canada is the only country excluded and hopefully Spotify will address this for those who want a Google Home Mini.

I've seen alot of people who are quite upset on social media. I just wanted to give another perspective on the situation. Hopefully they can see its not all bad.

Comedy86
Casual Listener

I'd like to add that there's about 2 dozen users in my department at work who are talking about getting their new Google Home Mini and about half a dozen of us who are trying to figure out why we pay $5 more and are therefore not eligible.

I understand the idea that we get more users vs. a single Premium account but I only use 2 right now for my wife and I (essentially paying $7.50 each). We've been with Spotify for years now and I have contributed to the decisions of most of my peers to pick up Spotify in the first place. To make us feel alienated like this is like a slap in the face to people who care enough about the service to want to pay more for more accounts since they enjoyed it enough themself.

I would really like someone from the Spotify team to justify why, as many people said, this was allowed for family accounts in US, UK, etc... but why it's not available to us in Canada.

SUGGESTED POSTS