Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Cannot Create Device Password

Solved!

Cannot Create Device Password

So I'm going through the process of trying to log in to spotify on my new android phone.

I can lot in with spotify, but am permanently 'offline', and evidently need to sign in with my device password.

I go through the process of requesting a device password through my account online. I click on the link in the email sent to me, enter my password once, confirm my password, then click on "Set Device Password". Two seconds later I get told "There was a problem setting your password". 

I've tried this repeatedly, but there's no more detail as to what this "Problem" is...a little frustrating.

Anyone have a solution?

76 Replies

This is so frustrating. I tried generating a password via facebook. didn't work. I tried setting up a password through spotify.com and I have yet to receive an email containing my password. I'm trying to add spotify to squeezebox. 

This is ridiculous. I guess the moral of the story is:

DO NOT USE FACEBOOK LOGIN !!!!

Hey there @trunilimit2,

That's odd. Can you try getting the numerical username from your Account page on Spotify and use it in combination with your Facebook password?

Let me know if that works 🙂
K
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Treat others the way you want to be treated!
I can help in english, français or ελληνικά
Follow me on Spotify | What is a Community Star? Join us!

Didn't work. I tried all combinations. 

numerical username + facebook password

numerical username + facebook generated password for spotify

facebook email + facebook generated password for spotify

facebook email + facebook password

Hey again @trunolimit2 🙂

A possibility to work around this issue is to create a new Spotify account without Facebook and then have your current account's songs and playlists transfered over to the new one. This can happen easily if you get in touch with a member of the Spotify staff so that they can do their magic backstage. 

You can drop them a line on social media (Twitter or Facebook) or by using the contact form. Make sure, if you use the latter, to reply to the automated email you'll receive directing you back to the help pages, even if it's from a no-reply! Also, keep in mind to give them all relevant information so they know which accounts you need help with.

Support usually gets back within a day or two.

Let me know if you have more questions 🙂

K

Looking at all the other posts here I can't believe this is still an issue after so long.  I've tried all the advice and still not working.

Looks like only option is to set up a new account without facebook login.

I got a new phone and have been trying to get the device password and all I get is an error from my email link. 2 days so far....help?

Hey there @mandy1978, welcome to the community!

That's odd. If you open this link in an incognito or private window in your browser, do you still get the same error message? You can also try opening it in a completely different browser.

Let me know how it goes!
K

same error, i pay for this service and cannot use it. Ridiculous, i wont be renewing

I just ended up entering my regular email/password and it let me log in

Hi apparently we just have to give it time to adjust. I was trying to login to my Blackberry and it worked after several "password incorrect"

The instructions on the first page is correct. Just make sure to do it on web browser on your laptop or ipad. App passwords will not appear in Mobile View of Facebook.

Secondly, take a breather for about 20-30 minutes and try your generated passoword again with your facebook email address as password and voila!

My issue is that I can't even get to the set password page. I'm trying to login to Spotify on my tv. It won't show up in my list of available devices even though I'm on the same network. So I found an option to set a device password. I click it and it sends me an email with a username to use and a link to set the password. Well the link always says something went wrong. So I can't even set a password.
tmp_20625-Screenshot_20170326-224611-996211403.png

Well if anyone else had this problem I finally fixed it kind of. Basically I couldn't connect my tv to my account using WiFi or making a device password. So I had to sign up again through the tv then it finally showed up as available devices on my phone and was then able to connect to my account.

But I still can't make a device password. So I still need help with that.

This is rediculous.  Have been trying for 3 weeks to get this to work.  Made the mistake of associating my Spotify account with Facebook account.  There doesn't appear to be any way to set a device password.  The option  to set app passwords within Facebook is no longer present (facebook updated their login / security menu) and the built-in method of doing so within Spotify sends a "Set a Password For Your Devices" e-mail address, but clicking on  the embedded link yields "Oh no!  Something went wrong!"   I'm trying to generate a valid username / password to use for my Onkyo receiver to stream via my account.  Does anyone know how to do this now?

Is anyone looking at this from Spotify? Have the same issue. Have tried everyting.

having this same issue myself.

Hi,

This still doesnt seem to work for me. I can't find that thing you are talking about in Facebook

I was about to give up and tried pasting the username that was emailed in as the password, and it worked!  Now to see if I can use it to log in at work tomorrow...

Suggested posts