Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Cannot Login With Username, Username Changed to Weird Letters

Solved!

Cannot Login With Username, Username Changed to Weird Letters

Hi there!

I recently created my Spotify account and noticed a discrepancy that has really frustrated me. When I attempt to login to Spotify on the browser, it will not accept the username I chose at signup, which is "forlaetan." So, when I login with my email (which it will accept), it displays the username "ptwee7wl5elhtqi0mcph7gneu." When I go to different areas on the site, the username will change back to "forlaetan." It says that that is my username on the app as well. But here's the catch, I did not create my account with Facebook, so it shouldn't be that weird string of numbers, it should be the username I chose, correct? It seems a few other people are having this problem as well but there is no definitive answer of why this is happening or a solution.

I signed up on the Android App.

This is frustrating because I do not want to have to type in my email every time I want to log in.

Thanks!

spotify forlaetan.png
spotify ptwee.png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @forlaetan,

Spotify has recently made some changes to the sign up process for some users. forlaetan is your display name and not actually your username. 

You can log into the Spotify app by using your username (ptwee7wl5elhtqi0mcph7gneu)/email address and password.

MaximSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @forlaetan,

Spotify has recently made some changes to the sign up process for some users. forlaetan is your display name and not actually your username. 

You can log into the Spotify app by using your username (ptwee7wl5elhtqi0mcph7gneu)/email address and password.

MaximSpotify Star

Thank you so much for your reply!

I don't understand your answer.  When I was signing up, it asked me for a username and I entered Barthelemi.  But when I log-in it shows my name in the upper right as bunch of random numbers and letters.  If I goto the Help screen, it shows the name as Barthelemi.  **bleep**?

Hey @Barthelmei,

Yeah, 'Barthelemi' is your display name and the random numbers/letters are your username.

MaximSpotify Star

I just created an account and I have the same exact problem.

Costumer service said "it's not possible to choose a username at sign-up, but you can add a display name instead." 

How does having a display number that nobody can search up to find you, and that you can't use to log in, in any way useful? This makes no sense.

Suggested posts